I'll start off with saying that I am American in it's truest form, as I am 100% sure of at least 6 different ethnicities (including Italian) that are a part of my DNA (English, French, German, Dutch, Irish, Italian).
Anyway, seeing as how I am so watered down, yet still retain a very dark complexion and hairy arms/legs
Basically, from the story that I learned from my dad and grandfather, I believe my grandfather's great-grandfather came to NY from Italy....probably in that big boom of tthe late 1800s. I think anyway....even if I have the greats messed up it doesn't really matter (my grandfather passed away this year...he was born in 1929, so I guess the theory of his grandfather coming makes sense.)
Anyway, my last name is Rich, which obviously is not a very Italian name, and people are usually surprised when I tell them. The story, as I understood it, was that when my ancestors first came to the US, they immediately changed their last name to rich, and possibly even their first names as well, to appear more American since there was some discrimination back then.
The problem, however, is that no one knows for sure what the original surname was. So my main question: is it possible that they could have been entered in the Ellis Island database with the surname of Rich, as opposed to their original? Also what are some possibly Italian names that would be switched to Rich? Ricco usually comes up as the most probable.
I'm sorry I don't have more information, I am currently trying to find some sort of record that at least gives my 3xgreat grandfather's name, be it the Americanized or original.
I do know however that my grandfather's mother's surname was Porto, and met her brother (my grandfather's uncle), at his funeral, which was a pretty cool experience (his skin was extremely dark eheh) so I may just research through that tree.




