Hi,
I have aquired a family document with the following title:
"Richiesta di certificato penale a scopo di emigrazione"
Can some help me translate this title and possibly tell me it's purpose. Its from 1920.
Thanks,
Mark
Help Translating a Certificate
Re: Help Translating a Certificate
"Request of penal certificate for emigration purposes"
Clearly a request for a police record on an individual.
Clearly a request for a police record on an individual.
Re: Help Translating a Certificate
Are you saying this is a "background" check typ document used by the Italian authorities for purposes of emigration? Maybe this was required to gain access to the US? assuming it didnt reveal anything bad 
The criminal listing section (I guess that was its called) of the document is blank ans null. So i hope this means my relative is crime free.
The criminal listing section (I guess that was its called) of the document is blank ans null. So i hope this means my relative is crime free.
Re: Help Translating a Certificate
That is correct. People with police records, leftists and other undesirables were not permitted to emigrate.
Your relative was definitely a "good fella"
Your relative was definitely a "good fella"
Re: Help Translating a Certificate
Well I'm not sure nowadays, but when I married in Milano over 40 years ago, the authorities wanted to see my Penal Certificate from the UK - I had to get a note from the British Consulate stating that this was not a standard certificate in Britain...".....Are you saying this is a "background" check typ document used by the Italian authorities for purposes of emigration? Maybe this was required to gain access to the US? assuming it didnt reveal anything bad"
I have often wondered if they would have allowed me to marry my Italian if I did have a record!!!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"


