Minardi and Bo'Conti Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jchytil

Minardi and Bo'Conti Family

Post by Jchytil »

I need help trying to find my family! I know very little about my ancestors, except for a few stories handed down. Although I have searched everywhere, I cannot find a thing. My great grandpa, Anthony Minardi, was born in Missouri, probably Joplin. He moved to Omaha, Nebraska where he met and married Alma Komrofski. Together they had seven children, including my grandma Louisa. What I have heard is that Anthony's (a.k.a. Tony) parents were named Cosmos Minardi and Madeline Bo'Conti. I have one picture of Cosmos, nothing of Madeline. They were from Termini, Sicily and Cosmos was a fisherman. Tony was born in the U.S. about 1896, so Madeline and Cosmos had to make their move here some time before that. That is all I know. Supposedly, Madeline was the daughter of a count and the couple's names were erased from all records becasue she married a common fisherman. I can't find a thing on them, so maybe that is true. Would they really do that? I can find the surname MINARDI but I can't find BO'CONTI any where. Could that be a mistake? Has anyone ever heard of that name????
THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!!
Sincerely,
Jennifer
nautili

1920 & 1930 Census

Post by nautili »

Hi Jennifer,

I found your Tony and Alma Minardi in the 1920 and 1930 census for Nebraska (Tony's name was transcribed as Lary on Ancestry.com). I'd like to send the images to your email address if that is o.k. (they are pdf format and will require Adobe Acrobat Reader). This way you can see the information first hand and won't risk any typo's on my part. Let me know if that is o.k. and I'll send them your way.

Jon Dante
Jchytil

Re: 1920 & 1930 Census

Post by Jchytil »

Hi,
Thanks for your message. I have ancestry and I will go check those census listings out - I have already seen the 1930 one, but not the 1920 one. What I would really like to find is Tony's parents. Thanks for your help!!!
Jennifer
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: Bo'Conti not exist; really exact spelling name are: Cosmo Minardi and
Maddalena BOVA CONTI, this surnames sure are originally of Termini Imerese (Palermo province-Sicily region);
currently not are Minardi families in Termini Imerese, but are this
Bova Conti families in Termini Imerese:

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... e&x=96&y=7
regards, suanj
Jchytil

Post by Jchytil »

Thank you so much for your help!!! Do you have any idea what these names might mean? Do you know of anyone who may be related to my ancestors? Have you heard of these people? Much appreciated : )
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Jchytil wrote:Thank you so much for your help!!! Do you have any idea what these names might mean? Do you know of anyone who may be related to my ancestors? Have you heard of these people? Much appreciated : )
Hi:
-Minardi are an version of original Mainardi surname, and it derive from Mainardo first name italian-germany diffused in Middle Age. But Mainardo name have origin in X° century as Maginardus or Maghinardus and Mainardus, constituted from"magin" word meaning force, power and "hardu"word, meaning hard, strong, brave, with the original meant one, therefore, of hard, frightening for its force. Benedictine Abbot Jean de Mabillon, Abbot of Reims and erudite already hand on us with regard to following relative notes to the existence of the Mainardi last name in the V° century: " ....di un Conte Mainardo del secol quinto, forse Mainardo/Tomo 7, ivi 419 degli Atti dei SS. Benedettini. E ancora: Maginardi e Mainard del secol quinto e und'essi Vescovo di Mans, pag. 282, 629, Tomo 7 degli stessi atti." = "... of a Conte (noble title)Mainardo of the secol fifth, perhaps Mainardo (Volume 7), ivi 419 of the Actions of the SS. Benedictines. And still: Maginardi and Mainard of secol fifth and und' they Bishop of Mans, (pag. 282, 629, Volume 7 of the same acts).

-Bova Conti are an surname constitued from 2 surname:
Bova it derives from Bova town in Reggio Calabria province and Calabria region, and mean inhabitant of Bova, are traces of this surname in documents around 1700 in Aversa town(Caserta province-Campania region). Bova mean "site with cows" in order to mean place that it accommodated herds to the pasture and breedings of cows..Conti very diffused mean" persons to service of noble or in relationship with noble" in Italy "Conti are noble title..

for other questions, I do not know this people and alive far away from Sicily..regards, suanj