Researching the surnames Vitacco and Tito

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cyntbia

Researching the surnames Vitacco and Tito

Post by cyntbia »

I am researching the surnames Vitacco and Tito. These are the surnames of my husband's great-grandparents. I would like some guidance on where to research these names. I've found some information on the correct Rocco Vitacco in available census records; I managed to find him on a ship's registry (but since it was pre-Ellis Island, there is not a listing for his hometown). So that is a dead end there. I have no idea if he became a citizen or had a social security card. Personal recollections and assistance of living family members have been less than helpful. Regarding the Tito name, it is the great-grandmother Anna Mary Tito, all census records (after she was married) but one state that she was born in Pennsylvania. The 1900 census says she immigrated in 1892. I have not been able to locate her in any census record in 1880 or 1890, while she was still a Tito. Any suggestions on how to track down her Tito family?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Researching the surnames Vitacco and Tito

Post by suanj »

cyntbia wrote:I am researching the surnames Vitacco and Tito. These are the surnames of my husband's great-grandparents. I would like some guidance on where to research these names. I've found some information on the correct Rocco Vitacco in available census records; I managed to find him on a ship's registry (but since it was pre-Ellis Island, there is not a listing for his hometown). So that is a dead end there. I have no idea if he became a citizen or had a social security card. Personal recollections and assistance of living family members have been less than helpful. Regarding the Tito name, it is the great-grandmother Anna Mary Tito, all census records (after she was married) but one state that she was born in Pennsylvania. The 1900 census says she immigrated in 1892. I have not been able to locate her in any census record in 1880 or 1890, while she was still a Tito. Any suggestions on how to track down her Tito family?
Hi: Vitacco are small presence in Italy(currently) and are an surname tipically Basilicata 's region, Tito more diffused also tipically same region...

-for Vitacco surname not are nobody Rocco Vitacco in ship's manifest from 1880/1891 in Italy, are only 2 Vitacco (Anna and Antonio child)persons emigrated in 1882 coming from Italy south, unknow origin's place...More: you sure that Rocco Vitacco emigrated before 1892?? are 2 Rocco Vitacco on ellis island emigrated in 1892 and 1904, and an Rocco Donato Vitacco(misspelled Vitacca really is Vitacco)emigrated in 1902 age 24
-Tito surname emigrated around 1880/1891 are various persons, some unknow origin's place, some coming from Brindisi town(Puglia region), Calvello(Potenza province-Basilicata region)...but nobody Anna Maria Tito..
Regards, suanj
cyntbia

Post by cyntbia »

Thank you for replying.

Rocco immigrated to the United States on 5/25/1891. His ship, the Massila, left from Naples, Italy with a stop in Marsailles, France also. I've seen the microfilm of the ship's manifest. Also on the manifest is a Pietro, who we think is his older brother (the only remaining daughter remembers an Uncle Peter, plus he was living very close to him in one of the census records). In 1891, Rocco was 13 and Pietro was 24. There was also a Rachelle Vitacco on the ship, age 69, but I have no other information about her. All I have is a ship's record, nothing about his entrance into the United States and to where he was originally planning to go. By the 1900 US census, Rocco is married with with one child, and living in Chicago. If Anna Mary was born in the US, then she would not be on any ship's records.

Any suggestions?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: I've read yours others message on Ancestry.com on Rocco Vitacco (or Vitacca) and Anna Tito (or Zita)..
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board ... es.vitacco
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/messa ... .vitacco/3

I've searched more on Vitacca possible surname emigrated beetwen 1880/1891 and strange.......
are this Vitacca persons:
VITACCA GIOVI. (coming from Potenza)

VITACCA ME.

VITACCA MICHELE

VITACCA NICOLA

VITACCA RACHELE

VITACCA ROCCO-LUIGI (age 36 emigrated in 1882)-----
more on Zita surname:
ZITA ALFONSO

ZITA Angela Maria (female age 24 emigrated 1/21/1888)

ZITA ANGELA

ZITA ANTONIA-IANELLI

ZITA B.

ZITA CARMINA

ZITA COSTANZA

ZITA DONATO

ZITA FRANCESCO

ZITA GIUSEPPE

ZITA LEONARDO

ZITA M.

ZITA MA.TERESA

ZITA TERESA
----
for Zito surname are 89 records, but 3 Anna Zito: 1-age 24,wife, emigrated in 5/21/1888; 2-age 4, emigrated 3/4/1884; 3-age 43 emigrated 6/28/1880..

my thought is this:
is Vitacco or Vitacca the just surname? Is Tito or Zita? :roll: More, my suggestion, your ancestors coming from Basilicata region, Potenza area...
Regards, suanj
cyntbia

Post by cyntbia »

One of my husband's uncles thought the surname was Zito/a, but the other knew it was Tito (this was confirmed on the birth certificate of the grandmother where it said the mother's maiden name was Anna Mary Tito, also one remaining sister of the grandmother says it was Tito). Anna Mary Tito said she was born in the United States, so I don't need immigration information for her. But I don't know her parents's names either. As she was born in 1879, the parents would have to have immigrated prior to that. She was supposedly born in Pennsylvania, but I don't know how long they stayed there.

I don't need immigration information for Rocco Vitacco as I have that. I do not know his parents's names or where to look for his Italian roots. I thought that maybe he became naturalized, but I don't know how to get those records. The one remaining daughter does not remember if he did or not. Also, there is more that one Rocco Vitacco in the Chicago area, which causes confusion when looking in records.

If someone could point me in the right direction on which records to ask for or search, that probably would be the most help.

Thanks for your help, too!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Cynthia, Peter can help you for searches in USA, after I can in Italy..regards, suanj
robertosaverio

Post by robertosaverio »

Hi...my great grandmother was ANNA MARIA TITO. If you need more information about her, please send me a email: roberto_saverio@yahoo.com.br.
Fsvita

Post by Fsvita »

Still searching Vitacco from Calvello? My grandfather Salvatore Vitacco came to Chicago from Calvello