Military Service Records in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bwatenz

Military Service Records in Italy

Post by bwatenz »

I was woundering if anyone can lead me in the right direction. I am looking for my Great Grandfathers Military Service Record from Italy to add to my family research. He served in the Italian Army during the late 1800's. I would like to add it to my family tree book, and I am hoping it has some more information about him that I didn't know. Is this possible and how would I obtain those documents. One more thing, when my great grandfather left Italy in 1903 would he have had to get a permit to emigrate, if so how would I obtain that?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Military Service Records in Italy

Post by suanj »

well send a letter to:
ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI Reggio Calabria

Via Lia Casalotto

89100 – Reggio Calabria (RC)
Italy

or by email:
asrc @ archivi.beniculturali.it (NO SPACES)

with this request( you must to pay when they let you know)

Oggetto: Lista di leva e Ruolo Matricolare di VARVARO Giovanni nato a Staiti il 24/12/ 1874 ed emigrato negli USA

Gent.mo Direttore,

con la presente cortesemente si richiede copia della Lista di Leva e Ruolo Matricolare , a fini genealogia, del mio antenato emigrato negli USA:
-VARVARO Giovanni nato a Staiti il 24/12/ 1874 ed emigrato negli USA.

In attesa di riscontro e di rimettere eventuali spese dovute, è gradita l’occasione per porgere distinti saluti,
..................your name(michael varvaro)
........your complete address
........your email
--------------------------------------------------
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bwatenz

Post by bwatenz »

suanj wrote:well send a letter to:
ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI Reggio Calabria

Via Lia Casalotto

89100 – Reggio Calabria (RC)
Italy

or by email:
asrc @ archivi.beniculturali.it (NO SPACES)

with this request( you must to pay when they let you know)

Oggetto: Lista di leva e Ruolo Matricolare di VARVARO Giovanni nato a Straiti il 24/12/ 1874 ed emigrato negli USA

Gent.mo Direttore,

con la presente cortesemente si richiede copia della Lista di Leva e Ruolo Matricolare , a fini genealogia, del mio antenato emigrato negli USA:
-VARVARO Giovanni nato a Straiti il 24/12/ 1874 ed emigrato negli USA.

In attesa di riscontro e di rimettere eventuali spese dovute, è gradita l’occasione per porgere distinti saluti,
..................your name(michael varvaro)
........your complete address
........your email
--------------------------------------------------
suanj
How long does it take for them to respond back. I sent them this letter to email address you gave me but still no one reponded.

Thanks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you must wait almost 1 month... with good luck...!

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

They responded to me in about two weeks via e-mail. At least for me, Reggio Calabria's archives did not charge me anything for the records.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I also only waited a couple of weeks from Reggio and they did not charge me anything either! :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bwatenz

Post by bwatenz »

This is what they sent me back in an email. Can someone please translate it. Thank you!

In riscontro alla e-mail del 12 u.s., si comunica che il nominativo indicato in oggetto non è iscritto sulle rubriche alfabetiche dei ruoli matricolari di questa Provincia dal 1872 al 1877, per cui non si è in grado di trasmettere la documentazione richiesta.
Si ricambiano distinti saluti
f.to Maria Pia Mazzitelli
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Someone reply please! I am so interested in what it says, as I want to write to Reggio as well. It looks (to me) like they searched the alphabetical index from 1872-1877 and did not find the individual requested.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hmmm in the index of men born between 1872/7 nobody Giovanni Varvaro..........???

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bwatenz

Post by bwatenz »

Are they talking about any records, or just Military records, concerning nothing being found? Maybe his birth date I have is wrong or his service in the Military was after 1877. I don't completely understand what they said was not found. What do I do now?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

for military records, the search is made for birthyear, and they searching for men born in all Commons in Reggio Calabria province beetwen 1872 until 1877....

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

on the shuip's manifest of Antonia and children the surname of husband and children in Barbaro and not Varvaro....

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7997/antoniadd5.jpg
what are your suggestions? so the problem is this: or the right italian surname is Barbaro and not Varvaro, or this ship's manifest is not of Giovanni Varvaro wife....

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bwatenz

Post by bwatenz »

All other records I have found for him and his wife started with 'V' even his naturalization paperwork said Varvaro. I am also a Varvaro. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he change his last name. Why, I don't know. On Antonia's ship manifest, it said she couldn't read or write. So if someone filled it out they could have spelled it wrong.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hmmmm... I know that Varvaro surname was in Staiti as also Barbaro...maybe it was 2 Antonia Trunfio(right spell), one married at Barbaro and one married at Varvaro???? it could be possible... the census on your other topic is right? Giovanni Varvaro ship's manifest... I cannot find it.... you wrote in Staiti common? what was the reply? regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bwatenz

Post by bwatenz »

That ship record is correct concerning the names of the children and their ages. White Plains, New York was were he was living. He came over to the USA with his brother Rocci after serving in the Military. I was told he did not come through Ellis Island. I think he went through Egypt or something like that. He also owned land when he left Italy, and left it to his sister who stayed behind. His wife Antonia came at a later date. I believe that manifest is correct. Her maiden name on her application for Social Security was Trufio. My 2nd cousin said her maiden name was Trupia which I have not found a document to support that spelling.

I did not recieve a response yet about the Act because I sent that letter through the mail.

I can try to reply to that email and ask them if they can and look up Giovanni's name again with an alternate spelling of Barbaro. Maybe he did change it. All I know is even his death Certificate, and Grave Stone says Varvaro, and his surname was past down to me.