Getting in contact with Italian Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
agatto2

Getting in contact with Italian Consulate

Post by agatto2 »

Hi ---- Sounds weird but i cannot seem to get in contact with the Italian consulate for NY or for N Carolina . Yep Googled them , have a web address and get really goffy web sites. The one for nc is like a sales page , the one for ny when i emailed them my message was sent back and truncated stating that site no longer exists. ??? What the flip - chip ?
Having said that here is our story , we are trying to collect the paper work now and could use some advise. My grandfather was born in Italy. We have the birth certificate. It appears he did naturalize in the US ( 3 years after my father was born ) We are trying to track down that information. Does any one know how ? I have his parents name and the manifest as well. Now what paper work are we going to have to get to get citizenship in Italy?
Also should we us the Italian conslulate in the US , or the one in the country we are moving to in a few months ? I know loads of questions but thanks to those who take the time to help -- what goes around comes around.

Anthony Gatto www.3redcandles.wordpress.com
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Getting in contact with Italian Consulate

Post by elba »

This is the latest edition of Italian Consular Information...

>Italian Consulate Info<

If you are seeking help on 'how' to deal with the wierd habits (and believe me, they really ARE) of Italian Consular staff, you will find an awful lot of help and guidance >HERE< at 'Expats' on their Citizenship thread... really knowledgeable people, many who started like you but now know the ropes!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
mler
Master
Master

Re: Getting in contact with Italian Consulate

Post by mler »

Since obtaining citizenship jure sanguinis takes a while and you are moving fairly soon, plan to apply in the country in which you will hold residence.

You will have to make a FOIA request to get your grandfather's naturalization certificate, and the more information you have about his naturalization, the easier that will be. Try www.ancestry.com and check the social security death records.

Since you already have your grandfather's birth certificate, you should begin working on getting his marriage and death certficates. You will also need your own birth certificate and marriage certificate as well as birth certificates for your children if they are also to be included in your application.

All documents originating in the U.S. should be in long form and of recent issue since they will all require apostilles. They will also need to be translated into Italian. Depending on the consulate you will be using, you may also need to obtain document from the non-Italian side of your family (grandmother, wife), but check with the consulate because this may not be a requirement.

If you are looking for a website that may provide more information, try www.myitaliancitizenship.com

Best of luck.