Mount Carmel Cemetery Hillside, Chicago Illinois

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Mount Carmel Cemetery Hillside, Chicago Illinois

Post by nazca »

My greatgrandmother Concetta Genualdi (maiden name D'Avola or DAVOLA) was buried may 17 1915 in mount carmel cemetery hillside, chicago,illinois . Someone know this cemetery? It is possible to know if there is still her tombstone? Or to have a picture. My ggm went in Chicago when my ggf died in 1912 in Palermo, Sicily. In Chicago she meet her sons. I think they are buried in Mount Carmel Cemetery. Take a look to my website for name, date and other informations about genualdi's Family (or genuardi oe gennaldi) in Illinois...

any suggest will be appreciated.

Vincenzo Genualdi- Palermo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery Hillside, Chicago Illinois

Post by nuccia »

Contact member Cathynap..I believe she knows this cemetery. You can contact her through this site:

Cosenza Exchange
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is another link that might help.

http://www.italianancestry.com/
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

I do know this cemetary well. This is the cemetary my family is buried in and it is not far from my home and job. I would be more than happy to photograph the grave. The cemetary is rather large though so I will have to call the cemetary office on Monday to find out where the grave is - unless you know. If you have the lot numbers let me know, otherwise I will call on Monday. If you give me the lot numbers today, I will go to the cemetary today or tomorrow.
The tombstone will still be there. I know it is a practise in Italy to remove tombstones after so many years, but that is not done here.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Sorry - one more thing - can you provide a link to your website so I can look for the graves of her children? I need their names.
Thanks.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Cathynap,
thank you for your interest. my website,under construction, is http://www.webalice.it/nazca2
I don't have the lot number. One day, i hope to visit chicago and hillside cemetery to honour my ggm and her sons.
From my website:
My Great Grandmother Concetta Davola born 1849 in Italy. She had 10 children: Angela, Carmela, Antonino, Bartolomeo, Sofia, Carlo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo e Maria Rosaria. After her husband's death she went in Chicago and joined her children . She died in Chicago May 17, 1915. She is buried at Mount Carmel Cemetry-Hillside-Chicago
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

OK - I will call the cemetary on Monday. I will try to obtain the lot number from them. Then I will go take many photos (close ups and far away shots) so you can get a good idea of where they are and what the graves look like.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

:D Good morning Cathy,
thanks for what you are doing for me and my relatives..
below you see others informations from a previous post about my relatives buried in Mount Carmel Cemetery:

Illinois statewide death index:
Gennaldi (or Genualdi or Genuardi) Bartolomeo (or Bartolo or Bart) born 1873. Died 1928-04-06 in Chicago
Genualdi Antonio (or Antony or tony) born 1871, died in chicago 01/08/1911 age 38

"Maria Paolina Campione (or Campioni) was born in Italy April 18, 1883 and she married Ernesto Genualdi (or Genuardi or Gennaldi ...) October 7, 1915 in Palermo.
They Lived in Chicago in N. Lincoln Street (U.S. Censiment 1930) . I know fro social security death index (his number was 130 01 9710) he died in Port Saint Joe, Florida january 1987 ( 102 years old !!!!) . I'm sending mail to each Cemetery site to have informations or transcriptions or picture of gravestone. Pauline (Maria Paolina) was buried in Mount Carmel Cemetery in Chicago 1962 (source: SSDI).

Simone was born in Palermo January 1884: in 1930 censiment of Chicago he was married to Jannie or Fannie (is not clear) Bernhardt (or Bernhard..) born in Norway near 1890. When Simone died February 11, 1971 at long beach Memorial Hospital he was widowed. In the certificate of death (s.s.n. 324054694) last address is 437 W. 3rd st. (is not clear : 3rd or Brd. or *rd.) Long Beach. He was buried at Westminster Memorial Park February 16, 1971. I'm sorry : i don't know if Jannie (or Fannie) and Josephine is the same person.

Richard Joseph Genualdi was born in Italy august 14, 1886 (i don't know the town) . He was married (Chicago 1924) to Anna U. (?) : she was born in Poland and when Richard (ssn 335018267) died December 16, 1962 at Santa Anita Sanitarium in Temple Beach, she was still alive . Last usual residence was 720 61st Street Long Beach. He was buried at "All Souls Cemetery" Long Beach.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Thanks for the information. I will call the cemetary Monday and hopefully, they will give me a lot number so I know where to look. The cemetary is pretty big so without a lot number it would be near impossible to find a grave. I will post an update here tomorrow night (after work) to let you know about the phone call.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Sorry I did not post yesterday - I had a problem getting on the forum. I have good news and I have bad news. I will start with the bad news.
I called the cemetary and their searches for Concetta came up empty - they could not find her name. :cry: However, they did find lots for Ernesto and Pauline. They gave me the information I need to find the grave. I will wander around hoping that Concetta is nearby when I go. I will go Saturday afternoon. :D
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Cathy,
thank for your post.
It is really a bad news for Concetta. I'm thinking when she died, she was widow. it is possible she was registered with maiden name (davola or d'avola) instead husband surname (Genualdi or genuardi or gennaldi)? or search by date(may 17 1915) ?
I supposed Ernesto was buried in port saint joe, FL : it is interesting. The only way to know if that Ernesto is a relative is read the date of birth and dead.
No news for Bart and Anthony
(Gennaldi (or Genualdi or Genuardi) Bartolomeo (or Bartolo or Bart) born 1873. Died 1928-04-06 in Chicago
Genualdi Antonio (or Antony or tony) born 1871, died in chicago 01/08/1911 age 38)

best regards.

Vincenzo
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Debid76 »

Nazca,

In case Cathy is unable to find certain relatives, the Chicago Archdiocese has a website with an "Intermet Search Request." Below is a link. Provide the information you have and they will email you with the information. They responded to me in less than 1 day. I used this to find my great-great grandmother's gravesite, also at Mt Carmel, which I was lucky to find it in good condition with a beautiful picture!! Fortunately, we found her grave when we did as her picture was about to be lost. It was not even attatched anymore!! Unfortunately, the pictures from my other great-great grandparents graves were gone. I was just there on the 4th of July.

http://www.cathcemchgo.org/genealogicalsearch.php

Good luck!!

Debby
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ciao Vincenzo, è solo un piccolo suggerimento se ti puo' servire....

Thanks to VJ!!! :D

New Database for Cook County
Birth, Marriage, and Death Records
Free Registration

www.cookcountygenealog...fault.aspx

Citazione:
The Genealogy Unit of the Cook County Clerk's Bureau of Vital Records provides non-certified
versions of birth, death and marriage records for the purpose of genealogical research.
Records found on this site are for Chicago and Cook County dating back to 1872.

Now it's easy and fast to obtain death certificate from this site VJ posted:

registration is free....
If you need the document you can pay with a credit card and they send the document as a Zip.File.....
In the death certificate you can find also the cemetery....

Laura :D
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Thanks Debby,
i knew the Chicago Archdiocese website and last month i send a mail but this was the answer...

"Catholic Cemeteries personnel have looked in the records that are available and no records match your search. Do to the limitations on searches performed outside the local cemetery office, there may be times that we are unable to find the requested record. If you are sure of the cemetery that the burial occurred, it is suggest that you contact the local office directly for assistance. Records kept at the local offices may be searched using different parameters that may yield a successful record return." :(

i hope in Italiangenealogy friends :D
best regards
Vincenzo
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Vincenzo...just an update. I visited the cemetary on my lunch hour and was hoping to surprise you with pictures, however, I could not find the grave in the time limit I had. I can tell you that the entire section the graves are in has in the ground flat headstones. For those that know the cemetary, the headstone is in the section with the monument and statue of Mother Cabrini. I will try again this weekend with more time available. I think I will get a map!