Translation Help Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
siciliano
Rookie
Rookie

Translation Help Please

Post by siciliano »

Hello. Can somebody help me to translate a birth certificate?
Grazie
Siciliano
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: Translation Help Please

Post by Sirena »

It's difficult to read but Liberio Santa Maria (?) was born Jan. 7, 1866 at 6:00 in his father's house on Strada Messiala (sp?).
If you could tell us what the names are that you are looking for, it may help to read the rest of it.
siciliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by siciliano »

Hello. The name is Liborio.. I could already translate some of the document, but there is some things that I stil did not understand.

1. "comparzo Melilo (?) Santa Maria _______ di anni".. after Santa Maria would be lui Castachio = son of Castachio ?
2. the job is "crivelliero" .. ?
3. after "maria smergani" would be "del lui serafino" ? .. what means ?
4. the name "Melilo" corresponds to Emilio .. because I have this as the name Liborio ..
Thanks a lot for the help,

Siciliano :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

siciliano wrote:"del lui serafino" ? ..
del fu Serafino = [daughter] of the deceased Serafino.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Partial transcription.

L'anno 1866, il giorno 7 del mese di Gennaio nella casa comunale alle ore 10 a.m.; dinanzi a me Gaetano Faro Sindaco di questo Comune di ???, circondario di Caltagirone, provincia di Catania, Ufficiale dello Stato Civile, è comparso Midilio(!) Santa Maria fu Eustachio di anni 30 di professione crivelliero domiciliato in questo [comune], il quale mi ha presentato un bambino di sesso maschile che dichiara di essergli nato il giorno 7 del mese di Gennaio alle ore 6 a.m., dalla di lui moglie Maria Smergano(!) del fu Serafino seco lui domiciliata e nella casa di sua abitazione posta in questo Comune nella strada Mendala(!), al quale figlio dichiara di dare il nome di Liborio Santa Maria. La quale dichiarazione vene fatta alla presenza di Girolamo ecc ecc

Luca
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Lucap wrote:Partial transcription.

L'anno 1866, il giorno 7 del mese di Gennaio nella casa comunale alle ore 10 a.m.; dinanzi a me Gaetano Faro Sindaco di questo Comune di ???, circondario di Caltagirone, provincia di Catania, Ufficiale dello Stato Civile, è comparso Midilio(!) Santa Maria fu Eustachio di anni 30 di professione crivelliero domiciliato in questo [comune], il quale mi ha presentato un bambino di sesso maschile che dichiara di essergli nato il giorno 7 del mese di Gennaio alle ore 6 a.m., dalla di lui moglie Maria Smergano(!) del fu Serafino seco lui domiciliata e nella casa di sua abitazione posta in questo Comune nella strada Mendala(!), al quale figlio dichiara di dare il nome di Liborio Santa Maria. La quale dichiarazione vene fatta alla presenza di Girolamo ecc ecc

Luca

Translation:

In the year 1866 on the 7th day in the month of January in the Town Hall at 10am; before me Gaetano Faro Mayor of this Comune of ???, district of Caltagirone, province of Catania, Official of the Registry Office, there appeared Midilio(!) Santa Maria of the late Eustachio 30 , years of age and of the profession of jigger (?) living in this (comune), who oresented me with a baby of the male sex and declared that he was born on the 7 th of the month of January at 6am, to his wife Maria Smergano(!) of the late Serafino who is domiciled with him in the house of his habitation found in this Comune in Mendala (?) Street, to this son he declares to have given the name of Liborio Santa Maria. Which declaration was made in the presence of Girolamo et.etc.

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
siciliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by siciliano »

Hello. So it is for sure that the midilio's (emilio) father name was eustachio and born in 1836?
Grazie
Siciliano
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Midilio/Emilio was 30 year of age when the child was born in 1866 so it's his birth year that is approximately 1836. His fathers name is Eustachio.
siciliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by siciliano »

8O professione crivelliero ?!?
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

siciliano wrote:8O professione crivelliero ?!?
The only reference I could find for this profession was that of a 'crivellista' = a 'jigger'.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I found this. Don't know if it's helpful or not. :?

Crivellaio - Sieve-maker
Crivellatore - Seive maker