Process will take 3 to 4 years to become a citizen???

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corneto

Process will take 3 to 4 years to become a citizen???

Post by corneto »

I just heard back from the Italian consulate in San Francisco. Their first available appointment for me to submit my application and documents is late 2009! I was then told after I submit that it will likely take 2 to 3 years for it to be approved.
Has anyone else encountered this? I was really suprised its such a long process. I haven't heard anyone else talk about this.

Comments?

Thanks,

Anthony Corneto
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Process will take 3 to 4 years to become a citizen???

Post by elba »

Yes - this kind of time scale is quite normal. It is indeed a very slow and laborious procedure.

Some Consulates 'seem' to manage the process in a little less time and some are notoriously even slower than SF !!!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
corneto

Post by corneto »

Wow that's crazy... and more than a little disappointing. I guess you could argue that this weeds out the casual Italian "wannabees" from the people who are willing to put in the hard work, time and determination to become an Italian citizen.

I mainly wanted to make sure that this is the only option. That there is no other way to speed up this process.

Thanks,
Anthony
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Move to Detroit. :?
langelo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by langelo »

Move to Boston. A friend of mine received his citizenship in 5 months--start to finish.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I don't know if this is any consolation, but San Francisco has the worst reputation for delays and stringent requests (for example after the letter of "no record found" from Homeland Security they often still demand more proof from The 1930 Census) They are defintely the worst Consulate to go through.

I have read about them repeatedly..

:(