Essgee off the beaten track. Jacovino?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kennethchiocchi

Essgee off the beaten track. Jacovino?

Post by kennethchiocchi »

Essgee,

Hello its me again Kenny... Wanna start on my other side? heeh

Ok if you will please look into these questions at your pleasant leasure and let me know what you come up with.

My mothers side,
My mother Lucille Cersosimo.
Her mother is Lucy Jacovino or Lucy Yacovino not sure of last name as my mom mentioned her grandfather used to spell his name with a "Y". I am just assuming that the letter "J" would sound like the lett "Y" in Italian.

Ok my grandmothers father Joeseph Jocovimo or Yacovino would have some children in the United States roughy from the year of 1899 going forwards.

Children are
Lucy
Mary
Lilly
Benjamin
Alex
Maggie
Anthony
Edith

Joesephs wifes name is Angela Batista. I am under the ussumption he came from Italy roughly around the age of 17 - 23. I am not exactly sure what his date of birth is. However His wife had her first child roughly around the age of 17.

Big question here is I am looking for where he might have come from. Ellis Island record does not show much and shows roughly 3 or 4 Joesephs/Gesseppi's...L

Let me know what you come up with please....

Thanks for all your help on the other half of my limb...LOL
Kenneth Chiocchi
Seeking my long lost family, one day Ill find out who is who
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Kenneth.....

A little more detail....

Was your mother born in the US? What year? Where did the family live? New Jersey? What town?

Strange thing is, there is no "j" or "y" in the Italian language except in the use of foreign words...they just are not naturally there. The name you seek would probably be Iocavina or a variation on that. It should begin with the letter "I" and yet would be pronounced like E-O-KO-VEEN-AH.

You don't have to start a new thread...just hit the reply button at the top of the page or the quote box and then you just add your latest post to the same thread...makes it easier to follow along!!!

Will wait for your info...in the meantime, will see what I can find.....
kennethchiocchi

More Info

Essgee,

Ok my mother was born August 1931

Her mother Lucy born in 1903

From what I understand they first started out in New York City, Dwelling unkown.

Then moved to 33-28 105th street in Corona LI.

I will try to gather more as it is fed to me....Sure hope this helps.
kennethchiocchi

Lucille Cersosimo

Essgee,

My mother Lucille Cersosimo was born in Harlem Hospital.

So now I think we can pin point a little closer...more to come i hope

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards,
Kenneth chiocchi
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Kenny..

Found this:

1900 Census of NY, Borough of Manhatten, ED 927, page 12 B living on 114th street.
Yacovina, Giuseppe, born Feb. 1880, age 20 married 2 years, arrived in the US
In 1889, Alien
Batesta, A.M., born Nov. 1879, age 20, married 2 years, arrived in the US
In 1889.
------------, Mary, born May 1898, born NY.

Living a few households down is a man who may be his father…Beniamino Yacovina. Listed as follows:
Beniamin, Jacovina, born Jyly 1849, age 50, born italy, arrived in 1888,
-------------, Mary J., born Nov. 1859, age 40, married, had 4 children 2 living
-------------, Tony, born Sept. 1886, age 12, born Italy
-------------, Teresa, born July 1890, age 9, born NY
It might be that the ‘2’ living might be the number living in the house presently. Also there is a chance that this is not Beniamino’s first wife. But Giuseppe’s first son was named Benjamin….Beniamino in Italian form.

Could not find them in 1910…….

In 1920 Census of NY, Manhatten, ED 1286, page 10B living at 117 Street.
Jacovina, Joseph, age 40, born Italy, states married, but may be a widower at this time, arrived 1889, applied for first papers.
------------, Maggie, daughter, age 14, born NY
------------, Mary, daughter, age 21, born NY
------------, Benjamin, son, age 19, born NY
------------, Lucy, daughter, age 16, born NY
------------, Alexander, son, age 10, born NY
------------, Lily, daughter, age 8, born NY
------------, Edith, daughter, age 6 born NY

In 1930 Census in Queens County, NY ED 41-225, page 12 B
Iacovino, Joseph, age 51, Widow, married at 17, born Italy, naturalized
------------, Benjamin, age 28, single, born NY
------------, Lucy, age 27, single, born NY
------------, Anthony, age 21, born NY
------------, Lillian, age 18, born NY
------------, Alexander, age 2?, born NY
------------, Edith, age 16, born NY

There is a Beniamino Iacovino arriving at Castle Garden on 21 May, 1888 on the ship Chateau Yquem. Does not specify part of Italy he came from.

There is Lois Matarrese at lqmat@earthlink.net that is related to you. She is from the line of Mary. Contact her and see what she might know. I believe she stated that they came from Abruzzi, but most at Ellis Island came from the Province of Campobasso in Molise…it was called Abruzzi-Molise for a long time.

Anyway, this should start you on the way. Since Joseph was naturalized between 1920 and 1930…and most likely between 1920 and 1925, these are the papers I would look for. It will tell you where he came from and give you a jump on where to obtain additional records. If Lois has any more info, let me know. Also if I can check on something for her, let me know.

Be good and have a great evening!
kennethchiocchi

Essgee

I have to say you are the best,

I have sent the women you mention an email. If you dont mind i copied and pasted what you told me as there is a ton of history going on here.

I await her reply in the hopes she is truly related to me. If so it would be terrific.

I am working on trying to find out from what part of Italy was Guiseppi from. I have been looking all day. No luck so far.

Thank you again so much for all you have done.

Family searching is a wonderful thing. I still have many more people I would like to check out yet. I will bring them up when the time is right.

Thanks so much again.

Kenneth Chiocchi
Son of
Patsy Chiocchi & Lucille Cersosoimo Chiocchi
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: surnames : italian exact spelling are: IACOVINO, BATTISTA, CERSOSIMO.
Not are record in Italy(years 1880/1891) for Giuseppe Iacovino born around 1880 and emigrated in 1889 (data of Census ?), but are:

IACOVINO G.B. born in Biccari, age 21 emigrated 1888
IACOVINO GIUSEPPE born in Morrone, age 26 emigrated in 1890
IACOVINO GIUSEPPE born in..? age 24 emigrated in 1882

regards, suanj
kennethchiocchi

Essgee

Unfortunately the address you provided me with concerning Louis was not valid. It returned me an error.

I guess it stops here for now...

thanks for all your help.
kennethchiocchi

ESSGEE

Wanna try one more stop on the tour?

Take a look at Joe or Joeseph Cersosimo.

I have no records at all of this man. I do know he was married to my grandmother for a short time. The two beared my mother lucille cersosimo.

Take a peak intot the census if you can and see if you come up with anything about him or his dad and mother.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Essgee

Post by Essgee »

kennethchiocchi wrote:Unfortunately the address you provided me with concerning Louis was not valid. It returned me an error.

I guess it stops here for now...

thanks for all your help.
Looked at it again....

it should be igmat@earthlink.net

See if this works..........

Also, aou can go to the ancestry.com site and place the name Iacovina in the search engine. Down at the Ancestry World tree entry...which I think is available to everyone, you will find the entery for Giuseppe. You can leave a note at the site for Lois...incase her e-mail has changed.
kennethchiocchi

Essgee

Thanks so much for all you have done.

I have tried that address as well. It comes up empty and rejected back to me.

Thanks for the acestry.com address I was able to get all the information concerning Guiseppe.

I am happy that I know where he comes from now...I am in the search to find out exactly where he lived and in the hopes of finding living relatives from his side.

ON the Cersosimo issue I think its taking be down a dead end. I dont have much information pertaining to him. I only know his name and nothing else of him....Only who his wife was wich was Lucy Iacovino.

Ill keep searching though. This is fun, but i have to admit you make it so more exiting by the way you tell the stories in your post.

Thanks so much again

Kind reagards
Kenneth chiocchi
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Essgee

Post by Essgee »

kennethchiocchi wrote:Thanks so much for all you have done.

I have tried that address as well. It comes up empty and rejected back to me.

Thanks for the acestry.com address I was able to get all the information concerning Guiseppe.

I am happy that I know where he comes from now...I am in the search to find out exactly where he lived and in the hopes of finding living relatives from his side.

ON the Cersosimo issue I think its taking be down a dead end. I dont have much information pertaining to him. I only know his name and nothing else of him....Only who his wife was wich was Lucy Iacovino.

Ill keep searching though. This is fun, but i have to admit you make it so more exiting by the way you tell the stories in your post.

Thanks so much again

Kind reagards
Kenneth chiocchi
Ken....

On my way out again....found Joseph last night...in the 1930 census...no where else yet....did not have time to post last evening....falling asleep!

Joseph Cersosima, age 64, born Italy, married at 28, arrived in 1887, naturalized
Lucy, wife, age 55, born Italy, arrived in 1894, naturalized
Joseph, son, age 25, born New York
Carmelo, age 20, born NY
Tessie Bal???? ..(looks like Bal---rich), age 23, daughter, born NY
John Bal???, son-in-law, age 26, born NY
John Jr., grandson, age 10 months...
Living on 38th avenue in Queens
ED 41-225 page 13 A

Found only a G. Cersosima in the passenger records for 1888, arriving on 28 June, 1888 on the ship Bolivia...no town, only out of Port of Naples. This is a possible, but age a couple of years off so not sure.

Naturalization papers, however, should direct you to the right part of Italy. Joseph appears a little younger then your grandmother since she was a couple of years older in 1930.

I am off to the library this afternoon so I will check for more when I have the opportunity on line.

Have a great one....and don't give up...you have more clues then most people do when they start looking!

Sorry about Lois....maybe there is another way to find her...will see about that as well.
pessil

Post by pessil »

exist also the suraname jacovino in italy... :mrgreen:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

pessil wrote:exist also the suraname jacovino in italy... :mrgreen:
Hi Pessil, in the past, in Italy all Iacovino surname was Jacovino( this surname derive from middle age first name Jacopo= Giacomo modern; Jacopo in the year changed in Jacovo; Jacovino means little Jacopo or Jacovo). Around recent past the letter "J" present in many italian surnames was changed with "I", but someone has remained ancient last name. In Italy currently Jacovino surname has very small diffusion... 8) suanj
pessil

Post by pessil »

pessil wrote:exist also the surname jacovino in italy... :mrgreen: