Need help to translate grandfathers letters

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rjopm

Need help to translate grandfathers letters

Post by rjopm »

This may prove impossible to do but if anyone can accomplish it I think someone here can. I have two badly water damaged letters written by my grandfather to my grandmother shortly before they got married in 1921. I've posted both letters (and a postcard) on my website. Here is the link, if someone can attempt this and let me know if it's a lost cause or not I (and my family) would appreciate it. My grandfather died when my dad was just 5 so this means a great deal.

http://sites.google.com/site/ourcarolin ... -postcards

I should add, if you click on the image it will enlarge which might be a help.
Thank-you very much...Robin
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Need help to translate grandfathers letters

Post by Lucap »

Literally.

Letter 1:
Lake Placid
Mia cara (Della?)
con molto piacere vengo a
scriverti queste due righe di
carta per darti notizia di me
ca io sto bene cossì spero che
sia anche di voi e unito con tutto
di famiglia. Poi cara Della(! perhaps a diminutive of Odella) ti fo
letter 2:
sapere che io oggi vado a batti raito ??? [maybe a place near Lake Placid written in a wrong way]
e la mia madama lo ... perché
ci viene pure essa poi cara Della
fai sapere come ve la passate
poi cara Delli ti fo sapere che
ieri siamo pigliate certe fotocra-
fie riuscite bene io vi manto
una poi cara Delli ti fo sapere
che qua ci sono rimaste solo
quattro sciofire(???) e gli altri se

slightly correct:
Lake Placid
Mia cara Odella è con vero piacere che ti scrivo queste poche righe per dirti che sto bene e lo stesso spero che sia per te e la tua famiglia. Poi cara Odella ti voglio far sapere che oggi vado a Battiraito(!!!) e ci viene anche la mia madama (padrona). Poi cara Odella fammi sapere come state; io intanto ti dico che ho fatto stampare alcune fotografie e sono venute veramente bene: per ora te ne spedisco una. Poi cara Delli ti dico che qui sono rimasti solo 4 sciofire(???) e gli altri
(to be continued)

Luca

(ELBA HELP: "we" need a translation!!!)
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Here's the first bit Robin.

Well done Luca. Reading those pages must have been very difficult!

Translation

Letter 1:

My dear (Della?)
with much pleasure I'm writing
these two lines of paper to you to
give you news of me (my house?)
I am well as I hope you are too
together with the family. Then dear
Della (!perhaps a nickname for Odella)
I let...

Letter 2:

you know that today I'm going to batti raito
(maybe a place near Lake Placid written in a wrong way)
and my lady (an employer?) will...
because she comes too, then dear Della I
let you know that yesterday we have taken
certain photographs that came out well and
I'll send you one and dear Della I'll let you know
that here there are only four (sciofire... of us?) left
and the others have

To be continued

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Wow, Luca! I don't know how you deciphered that! Great job!

scioferi (?) Do you think he might be a chauffeur? I get the idea that he is driving this woman (the employer) as Elba said to different places........maybe they vacation in a group and there are only 4 of the group left??
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

scioferi (?) Do you think he might be a chauffeur?
Great piece of deduction Sirena.... I'd tried the 'pronouncing' test, but didn't come up with 'shoffer' or 'shofferi'!

I think you just may be right - BRAVA!!!

:)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

pag 3 in italian:
sono andati tutti, ma io spero che questi altri pochi diversi che sono rimasti che..... presto per ritornare pure io perchè mi sento perduto ma sopra ( sopratutto??) perchè ..... tutto quanto e sto sempre qua.
Cara Delli non mi resta più che dirvi (") ricevete il mio più caro saluto, baci da... per(poi?) saluto la mia commare ( madrina) e unito ( unitamente) con i suoi due figli
pag 4
poi saluto mamma, poi saluto papà, poi saluto Rosina, poi saluto Fonsina( Alfonsina) poi saluto Toni, poi ritorno a voi cara Delli e vi dò mille baci e vi amo con tutto il cuore mi firmo e sono per sempre il vostro amore
Thomas Pellic....
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

pag 3 in italian:
sono andati tutti, ma io spero che questi altri pochi diversi che sono rimasti che..... presto per ritornare pure io perchè mi sento perduto ma sopra ( sopratutto??) perchè ..... tutto quanto e sto sempre qua.
Cara Delli non mi resta più che dirvi (") ricevete il mio più caro saluto, baci da... per(poi?) saluto la mia commare ( madrina) e unito ( unitamente) con i suoi due figli
pag 4
poi saluto mamma, poi saluto papà, poi saluto Rosina, poi saluto Fonsina( Alfonsina) poi saluto Toni, poi ritorno a voi cara Delli e vi dò mille baci e vi amo con tutto il cuore mi firmo e sono per sempre il vostro amore
Thomas Pellic

We all went but I hope that these few others that remained her... I am ready to return as well because I feel lost but above all because...everything and I am always there. Dear Delli, there remains nothing more to tell you. Receive my most dear greetings, kisses from...then say hello to my godmother as well as her children.
page 4
Then, give my greetings to Mamma, (then) Papa, Rosina, Fonsina (Alfonsina) Toni, then I return to you dear Delli and to you I give 1000 kisses and I love you with all my heart I sign and am always your love
Thomas Pellic
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Great Suanj.
In bold what I think are the missing words (and some little correction)
suanj wrote:pag 3 in italian:
sono andati tutti, ma io spero che questi altri pochi di giorni che sono rimasti che passino presto per ritornare pure io perchè mi sento perduto ma sopra ( soprattutto ok) perchè io vede che se ne vanno tutto quanto [he intended: tutti quanti] e io sto sempre qua.
Cara Delli non mi resta più che dirvi: ricevete il mio più caro saluto, baci da... (I suppose: d'amore) poi saluto la mia commare ( madrina) e unito ( unitamente) con i suoi due figli
pag 4
poi saluto mamma (maybe: Manuela but I'm not not sure 100%), poi saluto papà, poi saluto Rosina, poi saluto Fonsina (Alfonsina), poi saluto Toni, poi ritorno a voi cara Delli e vi dò mille baci e vi amo con tutto il cuore mi firmo e sono per sempre il vostro amore
Thomas Pellic....
Luca
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

For what I wrote above, I'll say:
Sirena wrote:They all went but I hope that these few days that remain can pass over quickly I am ready to return as well because I feel lost but above all because everyone leaved and I am always there. Dear Delli, there remains nothing more to tell you. Receive my most dear greetings, kisses of love then say hello to my godmother as well as her children.
page 4
Then, give my greetings to Mamma, (then) Papa, Rosina, Fonsina (Alfonsina) Toni, then I return to you dear Delli and to you I give 1000 kisses and I love you with all my heart I sign and am always your love
Thomas Pellic
Luca
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Very nice, Luca. It sounds great.
&
Elba, thank you.
rjopm

Post by rjopm »

I am absolutely floored!! I never thought it possible and thank-you seems inadequate. My grandmothers name was Addolorata and it was often shortened to Della and Tomaso was a chauffeur!! Reading the translations is almost like hearing his voice for the first time ever. I hope you won't mind if I use your names at my site as the translators. Thank-you all so very, very much!!!!!
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

You can tell he was really sweet romantic and loved her a lot!
rjopm

Post by rjopm »

I have posted the deciphered and translated letter at my site. I know it must have taken you all such a long time just to try and make out the words. Tomaso died at the age of 39 of a massive cerebral hemorrhage and my grandmother never remarried. I still can't get over what you've done.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I'm sure the pleasure has been all ours Robin!

Tell us about 'your site' - is it a genealogy or maybe a family site?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »