Dual citizenship - is it possible?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
roslyn

Dual citizenship - is it possible?

Post by roslyn »

Hi,

I am trying to find a loophole which will enable me to obtain dual citizenship. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

1. Both my parents were born before 1948 in Italy
2. I was born in 1974 in Aust. and my parents became Australian citizens in 1971
3. Both sets of grandparents (only grandmothers are still living) are still Italian citizens.

Any suggestions as I am at a loss?

many thanks
Ros
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Dual citizenship - is it possible?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

roslyn wrote:Hi,

I am trying to find a loophole which will enable me to obtain dual citizenship. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

1. Both my parents were born before 1948 in Italy
2. I was born in 1974 in Aust. and my parents became Australian citizens in 1971
3. Both sets of grandparents (only grandmothers are still living) are still Italian citizens.

Any suggestions as I am at a loss?

many thanks
Ros
If both your parents naturalized and renounced their Italian citizenhip prior to your birth, you would seem to be up against a brick wall.
roslyn

Post by roslyn »

That is so unfortunate.

I am not sure whether my mum can have hers reinstated based on being born to Italian parents as I read this on a site...

NOTE: A woman born before 01/01/1948 can claim Italian citizenship only from her father and can transfer it to descendants after 01/01/1948).

Found on http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm sorry, but that brick wall is still in place. In 1992, when the law allowing dual citizenship was passed, Italy gave those who lost their citizenship through naturalization a five-year window in which to reclaim their citizenship. That window no longer exists, and the only way your mother can reacquire her citizenship is by residing in Italy for one year.

If she does so, however, it does not affect you unless you are still a minor. You would have to reside in Italy for three years and apply at the end of the second year.
roslyn

Post by roslyn »

Thank you for your reply!

So the only avenue left is to live in Italy for a year and then I can claim citizenship?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

roslyn wrote:Thank you for your reply!

So the only avenue left is to live in Italy for a year and then I can claim citizenship?
roslyn,

Didn't you mention in another thread/another board that, "My dad served in the Italian armed forces so I am not sure if he can have his citizenship reinstated as a dual based on this??"

Have you looked into this further? I vaguley recall hearing of this possibility before...
roslyn

Post by roslyn »

Thanks johnnyonthespot!

Does anyone know anything about this? I did read it on the Italian Embassy in Canberra website.
http://www.ambcanberra.esteri.it/Ambasc ... tadinanza/

I called the Italian consulates today but it is really difficult to get answers. On a good note I did find details of Marco Fedi who is campaigning for reinstatement of citizenship. Hope he gets there next election!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Roslyn,

I suggest you begin a new thread with an appropriate subject ("Regaining citizenship through military service" perhaps?) and include everything you know about the details of the case.

When did your father leave Italy? In what country and when did he naturalize? When/why did he return to Italy and what were the specifics of his military service there?

(Perhaps he did it with the intent of regaining his citizenship? Perhaps his citizenship has already been officially reinstated?)

You may want to also post in the citizenship forum at expatsinitaly.com. Lots of very knowledgeable folks over there...
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

roslyn, since it was your parents who naturalized, the residency requirement for you is actually three years. You submit your application at the end of the second year.