Help deciphering sponsor info in 1901 ship manifest

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Help deciphering sponsor info in 1901 ship manifest

Post by adamf »

Hi all,

My gggf Pietro Sabatini came over in December 1901. His sponsor was listed as his brother Guiseppe. I found Guiseppe's record for January 1901, but am having trouble deciphering the script pertaining to his sponsor. The name appears to be Guiseppe Bernardo or something like that, but I can't make out the first word, that indicates relationship.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamfannin ... 5/sizes/o/

The ship info is January 21, 1901 on L'Aquitaine from Havre. His record is on the last page, 15 of 15 for this manifest.

Thanks for your help,

adam
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help deciphering sponsor info in 1901 ship manifest

Post by johnnyonthespot »

adamf wrote:Hi all,

My gggf Pietro Sabatini came over in December 1901. His sponsor was listed as his brother Guiseppe. I found Guiseppe's record for January 1901, but am having trouble deciphering the script pertaining to his sponsor. The name appears to be Guiseppe Bernardo or something like that, but I can't make out the first word, that indicates relationship.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamfannin ... 5/sizes/o/

The ship info is January 21, 1901 on L'Aquitaine from Havre. His record is on the last page, 15 of 15 for this manifest.

Thanks for your help,

adam
When I blow the image up to 300%m I see what appears to be two distinct writings before Bernardo. The darker one I can't make out at all, but what appears to be written above in lighter ink is "Uncle".

In fact, the entire is filled with these additional notations; I see one case (line 9) where the amount of pocket money was written first as $30 and then overwritten with what looks to me like $35.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Adam,

the name is Giuseppe (not Guiseppe) Bernardo and the relationship seems tobe "cousin" and something overwrithing , maybe from another page by ink or a correction ....

Best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

I agree with nazca. The original was cousin. I noticed that there is a lot of that light handed script throughout the form. It doesn't appear to go with the lines so it may be an impression from the previous page.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

nazca wrote:I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi and my Greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (and their sons) went in Illinois in 1880-1920
nasca - This may have come up already but I will mention it for what it is worth. The name "Genualdi" appears in Italian telephone listings fewer than 40 times and most of those are in Alto Milicia, a comune of only 5,200 persons located in the province of Palermo.

You may want to try writing to several of these families, explaining who you are and some details about your ancestors. I did something similar last year and received two replies from members of my paternal grandmother's family.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Thank you all so much. I do see that it says cousin now. It looks like maybe there was some sort of ink bleeding or overwriting. But it does seem like cousin.

thanks for all of your help.

Adam