Birth Certificate - Croce?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
danezeeox

Birth Certificate - Croce?

Post by danezeeox »

I was not sure the correct forum to post this question, so if this is wrong, I apologize.

I have obtained a birth certificate for my great-grandfather. He actually has two that he requested while here in America. (I am not sure why he requested two - he obviously didn't lose the first one if my grandmother has them both.) Where his fathers' name would be, the only word is "Croce." Why is this? Also, is there any particular reason his mother's last name would not be the same as his?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
andonimi

Re: Birth Certificate - Croce?

Post by andonimi »

[cross!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Croce is an honorific first name meaning cross. =Peter=
danezeeox

Post by danezeeox »

Why would it only be listed as simply "Croce," not Croce Pesce?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I asume that Pesce is family surname (you make no mention of his surname until now). In order to answer the question you might have to request a birth record and see what comes back indicating in your request that Croce Pesce is his name along with his mothers maiden name which she retains for life.

By the way Crocifissa/o meaning crucifix female/male first names are also considered honorific. =Peter=
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

To add another possible solution, a cross mark was also the way to sign a document by a person who wasn't able to write.

I think that the only way to know exactly what is written in the documents you hold is to post them.

Luca