alternate spellings

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
qnana
Rookie
Rookie

alternate spellings

Post by qnana »

Hello to all the talented, generous people on this site! I began searching for family in Jan. 2008 and have had modest success. It is addictive!

I've read all the posts and frequently someone in the forum finds a record for the poster wherein the spelling is quite different than the original post listed. Often these unusual spellings turn out to have the correct information for the poster. My question: my ggrandfather's name when he arrived (in 1903 from Grumo Appula Puglia) was spelled "Iacobelli". It was subsequently Americanized to Jacobellis, but I don't know when. In my searches I have found these alternates: Jacobelli, Jacobeli, Iacobellis, Jocobelli, Jacobellio, Yacobellis, Yacobello, and finally from a 1906 manifest, Jacobette. Can anyone think of any other alternate I should search for as I can't find my ggrandmother in 1930 (d. 1933). Supposedly she was living with her youngest daughter but she isn't listed with them.

Sorry for the length of the post. Please know I appreciate any suggestions you may offer.
qnana
vj
Master
Master

Re: alternate spellings

Post by vj »

Hi qnana! (edit to correct qnana's name)
If you have a location, try a search with no last name -

born in Italy (?)
a partial 1st name may help, ancestry requires only 3 letters followed by an *.
Valarie
qnana
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qnana »

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a try.
qnana
qnana
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qnana »

Valarie-

If we were in the same room right now I'd give you a BIG kiss!! I found her, under Jackallis, living with her oldest daughter who was widowed. As a bonus I discovered the daughter's full name, Maria Nicola (there were 2 Maria daughters named after 2 Maria grandmothers).

Thank you, thank you!
qnana
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

qnana
Thank you so much for the update :D !
That's wonderful news.
Valarie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In the Italian surname dictionary there are about 10 surnames derived from Giacomi and includes Iacobelli. All 10 are based upon IACOB with different endings but in the USA the alternate spellings are phonetic so the surnames can be altered anyway you want or locate in casual readings. The italian surname variations are as follows:

Iacobacci, Iacobbe (or I),Iacobelli (or IS), Iacobin

(or O, INO,ITTI,ONE, ONI,) Iacobucci
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Sorry for the movement error. Hope this helps. =Peter=
qnana
Rookie
Rookie