Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Post by Lindee »

Another brick wall that we all seem to hit. I really need your help.

Grandfather Salvatore DeRogtis (Derogatis, D'Rogatis, Derogati. Rogati) we believe was from Teora, Avellino, Naples, Italy, born: 5 May 1863, died 11 Nov. 1928 in Spokane, WA. We belive he immigrated to NY, NY the first time, in about 1896 and was Naturalized; 3 August 1896, but cannot find any papers at all. Need help in finding this as well as birth cert. and marriage cert. We belive he was married in Naples. His death cert. (from Spokane, WA) lists his father as; Leopold and mother Katherine (no last name for her.)

Salvatore married Anne Chatta (pronounced) could also be Cetta, Chetta) on 30 January 1908 she was from Sante Angelo dei Lombardi, Naples Italy. We have no records on grandma Anne. She was born 27 July 1884. She and Salvatore immigrated to Ellis Island, March 1908, I found the manifest on this. No clue on her mother or father's name. We believe she had a brogher, name unknown. Supposedly her father (name unknown) immigrated to the US, I think before 1908 and was murdered in New york.

After grandpa Salvatore passed away 11 Nov 1928 in Spokane, WA, grandma Anne married Angelo Corigliano (I found his manifest) he was from San Mauro Marchesata Calabria Italy. His parents names unknown. He had brothers: Carmino and Luigi. There could have been another. It was on HIS Nautalization papers that we discovered Anne's marriage date to Salvatore of 30 January 1908. It also said she was naturalized from her first husband, Salvatore, but I cannot find any information on this. If I could find it, I would be able to possible find the correct spelling of her last name to continue my search.

I know I have listed a lot of informatin, but if there is anyone out there that can help, it would rruly be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Linda
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 38 CETTA in Sant'angelo dei Lombardi. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put inthe first line CETTA and Sant'Angelo Dei Lombardi inthe second line and click CERCA. This seems to be the surname youare seeking. Will this be enough for you to continue your research? =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Thank you, butuUnfortuanly, I was only able to pull up current telephone listings. How do I find the information I am looking for?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lindee no problema!! go to your neartest Mormon family history library and rent out microfilm of Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi civil records for all births,marriages and deaths from 1809 to 1900. Bring along a book Discovering Your italian Ancestors by Lynn nelson which is a companion book and a mgnifying glas since the records are in that beautiful script but easier to read with a glass. You can also make copies.

The other way is to write to the Uffico di Stato Civile and request any birth record, marriage record or death record using an italian language request form (go to www.mangeruca.com for such letters) and mail it to Comune of Sant'Angelo Dei Lombardi whose address is listed in the same website above. =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter: is this something that can be done online through the Mormom library? I don't have access to go anywhere to get this info.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You mean that you cannot travel? the nearest one to you is listed in the www.familysearch.org website and you might wish to call them by telephone and discuss the possiblity of working at home if thatis feasible?

=Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter, I'm not sure how far you are asking me if I would travel. I do not have any library where I live or even somewhat close to me. I cannpt travel out of town to do this if this is what you were asking. I read online the FHL does not answer mail inquiries. It is too late to call them today to ask about working from home. I didn't know they did that.

I also plugged all the names I have listed in my posts into their search and did not come up with any matches at all. Linda
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Then the best bet would be to write directly to Sant'Angelo Dei Lombardi as an alternative if the FHL is not a way for you to go as I suggested previously.Time would be the only price for having to write to Italy since the service is free of charge. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

We belive he immigrated to NY, NY the first time, in about 1896 and was Naturalized; 3 August 1896, but cannot find any papers
at all.
Perhaps I have misunderstood, but he could not have naturalized the same year as immigration.....is the date in reference to his date of arrival?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

The date is what was listed on my grandfathers naturalizatin papers. It mentioned my grandmother bering naturalized by means of her first husband, Salvatore DeRogatis in 1896. That is the only date I have. I know her must have come to the US for a while and was naturalized and went back to Teroa, then he married Anne Chatta (sp) on 30 Jan 1908 just two months before they came here together. I just have nothing on her. Every birth certificate shows her name spelled completey different. She pronounced it "Chatta." She did not read or write.

Thanks - Linda
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Linda, this may help
Neat site for noodling out the possible original spelling of your
family surnames:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
'Partial' name searches only require 4 letters.
Valarie
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi!

I think possible the last of Anna could have been Cetta....
It's pretty common in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi...

From 1920 census it seems Salvatore did emigrate in 1869 and was naturalized on 1901???
If we cand find the first arrival for Salvatore....

1920 United States Federal Census
about Sam D'Rogatis
Name: Sam D'Rogatis
[Sam D Rogatis]
Home in 1920: Spokane, Spokane, Washington
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Annie
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1869
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 262
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Sam D'Rogatis 50
Annie D'Rogatis 28
Lena D'Rogatis 10
Paulie D'Rogatis 8
Willie D'Rogatis 7
Michael D'Rogatis 3 10/12

[img=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1341 ... fs6.th.jpg]

Last son Michael died on November 30, 1920:

you can find the record on this site:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... 956954#p=0

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

8O .. really Anna's last name was mispelled everywhere...

here is the birth of:

Name: Mike Derogatia
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1916
Father's Name: Sam Derogatia
Mother's Name: Anna Goe
Image Filename: 2048
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Yep! everywhere. I don't know where they ever came up with "Goe"
Michael was her son who died when he was about 5 from diphtheria. If I could find a passport, birth cert or marriage license, it would probably be more correct than wha I am finding out here. Your thoughts?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

another:

Washington Births, 1907-1919
about Unnamed Drogatis
Name: Unnamed Drogatis
Birth Date: 12 May 1913
Father's Name: Sam Drogatis
Mother's Name: Anna Caotta
Image Filename: 2048

Possible was the birth of Willie?

However, I think the correct last name was Cetta, so if you know the exact Marriage date you could write to the Comune of Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi (Avellino Province) requesting a "copia integrale dell'atto di Matrimonio tra De Rogatis Salvatore ed Anna Cetta" .... but it's only my thought because normally the marriage was celebrated in the bride's parish......
Maybe other members can help better...
Laura :D