Records in S,Giuliano di Puglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Records in S,Giuliano di Puglia

Post by Sirena »

I'm researching the records in S. Giuliano di Puglia. I have a film 1819=1850. I thought that I would find all 4 great-great grandparents but found only one. I got their names from the GGM & GGF's certificates and based on the age there, estimated their birth year - all of which should have been 1819-1829. I went through each certificate since there was no index until 1840 but only found one.

1. Is it possible that in that period not everyone registered their children? I did find a sister to one of the GGGF and the parents names were correct.

2.The other thought I had was that maybe the other wasn't born in S. Giuliano. I did not see any Simonelli listed at that time. i was looking for Rosa born approx. 1828. Does anyone know from what town she may have come?

3. Is there access online to seeing the equivalent of the census at that time?

Thank you for your help.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Records in S,Giuliano di Puglia

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Sirena,

Look at the birth records you have and for the parents it should list if they were life long residence of that comune of if somewhere else. If somewhere else then you'll have to order films for that comune.

Can you post the birth acts you have so we can take a look?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

First, as BillieDeKid advised, check each birth record carefully for any clues as the parents' domicile or place of birth. Note that some records make a distinction between a place of domicile and a place of residence, whereby the place of domicile denotes a person's place of birth, while the place of residence denotes where a person is actually living. You will occasionally see a record where both the domicile and residence is listed for an individual. However, as with all records, this can vary with the time period or place of the record. Secondly, check the pubblicazioni records. If either set of your GGGPs was married outside of San Giuliano di Puglia, but either the groom or the bride was born in San Giuliano di Puglia, then notice of the marriage would have been posted in that comune and you will find a record of this notice in the pubblicazioni. Finally, Simonelli is most often found in Toro, another comune in the province of Campobasso (the capital city of Campobasso also has a large number of Simonelli today, but did not have a large Simonelli population in the 19th century). While a "shot-in-the-dark", a search of that town's records might prove fruitful. You didn't mention the other surnames you are searching, but those surnames might also give you a clue as to the town of origin.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I'm researching the records in S. Giuliano di Puglia. I have a film 1819=1850. I thought that I would find all 4 great-great grandparents but found only one. I got their names from the GGM & GGF's certificates and based on the age there, estimated their birth year - all of which should have been 1819-1829.
In addition to the Birth Records 1819-1950, you might want to try the Marriage Records for the appropriate years (perhaps 1835-1860, depending on the childrens' years of birth) and the Birth Records prior to 1819 (parents' ages are notoriously inaccurate in birth records).
John Armellino
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Sometimes, during that time people forget to report the birth, and for sure the baby was baptised to local parish.
So I suggest you to contact the priest, also for the churche census (Stato delle Anime)
I hope it helps
Riccardo
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Thank you for your suggestions - I never thought of those avenues. I ordered the film for the pre-marriage documents and wrote to the priest.
Meanwhile I returned to the FHC to see the film one last time. I got a better machine and found the other two GG-granparents.

I was left with just one missing. I took her name from this birth certificate. I hope you can open it. The odd thing is I've never seen that name (Simonelli, I think, anywhere else in the town). I looked from 1820-30 and only found a couple less than 7 Rosas or its derivatives. This was the only certificate where the last name even came close...and it was the correct year. Do you think it could have been written incorrectly on Cipriano's birth certificate? Or am I misreading one of them?
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

oops they didn't post.......Let me try again. :roll:
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4139 ... 001qg7.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9325 ... 001yx6.jpg

I don't know if this will work. If it doesn't, does anyone know what I did wrong?

The first is Cipriano's which I thought the mother's last name was Simonelli.
the second is Rosa's. What do you think her father's last name was?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I agree that the mother's name seems to be Rosa Simonelli on Cipriano's birth record. On the other birth record, the father's surname seems to be Taccarelli. If so, Taccarelli is a relatively uncommon surname, most often seen in the comune of Bari.
John Armellino
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

In a film of processetti, I found Rosa......Maria Rosa and John was correct, she was born in Toro. Suanj suggested to look at the processetti for the marriage........they were married in S. Giuliano and I found a death certificate going back to 1789! Thanks again for your help.
John, i know you have a lot of data re: Campobasso. Do you have any lines through Toro? Maria Rosa was born in 1823 and this is the first person I've found outside of S. Giuliano. Everyone else on all sides continues in SG and it seems her family was only in Toro for at least 80 years before her birth.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

That's great news, Sirena - a new comune to search! One of my cousins has lines in over 20 towns. Of course, that makes searching the records that much more time-consuming. On the other hand, he'll be visiting different towns for the next 20 years --- and that's a good thing!

I have about 75 individuals in my database with some sort of connection to Toro, either birth, marriage, or death. All of these lines eventually had some sort of contact with Campobasso, usually a marriage into a campobassani family. Surnames in this group that are still found in Toro include the following: Barbiero, Bruno, Ciaccia, Caruso, Colia, Cutrone, de Luca, di Gironimo, Felice, Ferrara, Gagliardi, Iacobacci, Marcucci, Martino, Mazzarino, Mitra, Quercio, Ricella, Rossi, Salvatore, Serpone, Simonelli, Sivilla, Tromba, Trotta, and Tucci. Other surnames in this group include Capalozza, Conte, de Angelis, Magno, Narducci, and Petrucci.

I have one individual named Simonelli in my database. Angela Simonelli (born c1784 in Toro; died 1849 in CB) married Angelo Ciaramella (born c1773 in CB; died 1842 in CB).

A number of individuals from Toro married into my off-lines:

Nicola Maria Serpone of Toro married my 2C6R Gaetana Maria di Soccio on 23 MAY 1818 in CB.

Olimpia Mitra of Toro married my 2C4R Bartolomeo di Soccio on 26 NOV 1846 in CB.

Nicolina Iacobacci of Toro married my 1C4R Felice Romano on 04 NOV 1857 in CB.

Maria Antonia de Luca of Toro married my 3C4R Giuseppe Salotto on 07 NOV 1882 in CB. Their daughter and my 4C3R Saveria Salotto was born circa 1871 in Toro.

Antonio Gagliardi of Toro married my 3C3R Eleonora di Tota on 08 JUL 1886 in CB.

Maria Antonia Quercio of Toro married my 5C3R Pasquale di Tota on 16 JAN 1902 in CB.

Concetta Filomena Salvatore of Toro married my 3C3R Franceschino Ariemma on 30 SEP 1906 in CB.

Maybe someday our lines will cross.
John Armellino