Italian military

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian military

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Nucia trafford Cole's book and the small print that comes up in your message AGREES with FHL description of Ruolo di Congedo illimitato. So now I have two authorities to rely upon. Thank you . =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Nucia trafford Cole's book and the small print that comes up in your message AGREES with FHL description of Ruolo di Congedo illimitato. So now I have two authorities to rely upon. Thank you . =Peter=
Yes Peter..I was not taking sides, I was offering, as you asked for, sources.. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I did not mean to imply anything negative here and apologize if it came off the wrong way. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Why are you apologizing?????? Now I feel bad...I'm not upset and you haven't said anything out of line at all.

I think we should quit while we're ahead, ok?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Certo! =Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

I'm not here to discuss, it is better to quit
Ricbru
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi all,
maybe I can say my opinion...
abt the author topic inquiry, the better way is to request in State Archive of birth province the copy of :
RUOLO MATRICOLARE.

the CONGEDO ILLIMITATO is not the same thing and not helpful abt the inquiry of author topic..
For know all military story of your ancestor, you must request the RUOLO MATRICOLARE copy ... best regards to all, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Thank you Raffaella
kisses and hugs
Riccardo
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

"Images and my and your interpretationof the documents and records are totally not acceptable since these determinations on your part or even my part are subjective...."

Peter, I'm sorry but how can you possibly refute the evidence of the images posted here of the documents in question?

Ricbru has posted clear evidence of what constitutes a CONGEDO ILLIMITATO.
That clearly contains a lot of information on the soldiers role during his military service. It is used to record in his Stato Civile that his military obligations have been met and if he can be recalled.
But it is NOT his Foglio Matricolare (Military Service Record).

The congedo is a demobilisation document that mentions certain areas of competence attained during the individuals military service. The Foglio Matricolare (Military Service Record) can be likened to a hospital record where everything is recorded.

My great grandfathers 'service record' ran to SEVENTEEN PAGES (he liked being a soldier). Yet another uncles record was only one page!

De Mauro (Italian Dictionary) quotes:

foglio matricolare
TS milit., documento nel quale vengono registrati tutti i dati relativi al servizio prestato da ogni singolo militare.

congedo illimitato loc.s.m.
TS milit., posizione dei militari in congedo per i quali rimangono degli obblighi solo in caso di necessità congedo illimitato provvisorio loc.s.m.
TS milit., posizione del cittadino, soggetto agli obblighi militari, nel periodo compreso tra l’arruolamento e la chiamata alle armi

N.B. If anyone would like a full translation of these two entries in De Mauro- just say!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba the two souyrces, FHL in Salt Lake City and Trafford's book (which I suspect is a rehash of the FHL Italy Military records) has been confirmed by the European Section in a telephone call I made yesterdfay and they firmly stiood their ground about the Discharge Records (Foglio di Congedo Illimitato). Consequently I stand on the findings of that august body who have brought me up to date and confirmed their records as being accurate as it relates to
1: The record prove a soldier's discharge from military service
2: They include birth information, parents names, physical description
vocation,and education information
3: They also give information regarding the date and place of draft,
length of service, transfers, campaigns, medals and wounds.

One copy of the record is given to the soldier and another copy is kept in his file.

This is the official regulation concerning Discharge records by a competent 3rd party and I do not accept any other personal or subjective interpretation. =Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Elba you have put this morning some pictures about that discharging papers, and as Peter states, it is all true.

Click below

FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO (Military discharging paper)

I was not of the same opinion of Peter because until this morning I knew only the front page of the old italian discharging paper.
The knew discharging paper is not such specific and detailed like the old ones.
Peter you were right
Good job
ciao Riccardo

p.s. there is always time to learn from older people!!!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Peter, Riccardo, and Suanj,
Thank you for the fascinating exhange.
I never fail to learn something from all of you.
Valarie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Riccardo "When great minds meet things happen" Thank you.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear VJ, Nuccia, Suanj and Elba I wish to thank you all for your kindness and support in clarifying the Italian Military records discussion which has been now resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Drinks are on me!!!=Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear VJ, Nuccia, Suanj and Elba I wish to thank you all for your kindness and support in clarifying the Italian Military records discussion which has been now resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Drinks are on me!!!=Peter=
Make mine a double, please! :lol: :lol:

I'm with vj...great thread, fascinating exhange and excellent learning experience for us all. Nice job! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database