surname location

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

surname location

Post by dragoni »

i am having a bit of trouble with a surname from san bartolomeo in galdo. the handwriting is tough and it appears to be spelled two different ways. any help would be appreciated. surname is either ianiro or ianigro.

tom
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: surname location

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 8 Ianiro listed in San Bartolomeo Galdo and no Ianigro are listed in the town directory. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Ianiro first and beneath that put in San bartolomeo Galdo and click CERCA....my money is on Ianiro. =Peter=
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: surname location

Post by JohnArmellino »

The surname search engine at http://italia.indettaglio.it returns approximately 20 individuals named Ianiro in San Bartolomeo in Galdo. There are no returns for Ianigro. However, that form does exist in several other towns in Campania. In addition, in my research I have noted that the terms niro and nigro (as well as nigris and negro) are often used interchangeably. My di Niro line is often referred to as di Nigro or di Nigris or del Negro. Perhaps it would be wise to settle on Ianiro but keep an eye out for any alternative spellings or gradual changes.
John Armellino