The Origins of some families of Giovinazzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jerseymike

The Origins of some families of Giovinazzo

Post by jerseymike »

I had found in my research an article about some of the original families of Giovinazzo. Included was:
- IGNOMIRIELLO : Matteo, figlio di Francesco Ignomiriello, 1614, in III L.B.C (Libri dei Battesimi della Cattedrale)
- Andrea Ignomiriello, macellaio di Binetto e abitante di Giovinazzo, 1590, in A.D.G. (Archivio Capitolare e Diocesano)

Once again, with a rather odd last name(Ignomeriello) could these people be related to me? :?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: The Origins of some families of Giovinazzo

Post by PeterTimber »

I think we went thru this spelling of the name and name distribution recently but no matter. If you feel that you wish to research your family egnealogy then go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom =Peter=
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MauroMags »

Hi Jersey Mike,

While researching families from Giovinazzo, have you ever come across the surname Santoro? I know its a fairly common name throughout southern italy, but i'm very much interested in any Santoro's from Giovinazzo

thanks,
Mauro
jerseymike

Post by jerseymike »

Peter-
Thanks for your help. I have been studying micro-fiche at the local LDS church. I am doing ok, as far as finding relatives,(great grandfather, great great grandfather) but it's the last name that I am having fits over. I guess I have to keep going back until I make a connection with the last name. Thanks again! ~JM~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You meanyou cannot make it out even with a magnifying glass? =Peter=
jerseymike

Post by jerseymike »

Peter-
I can make out most of the information that I have found. But I have found so many different spellings of my last name I'm not sure if they are related to me or not.
One of your replies to me said that IGNAM meant yam. That's a good start for me, but what about the last part of my name? The "eriello?" Maybe the last name has no meaning at all? My GG grandfather was from Giovinazzo as well.
I contacted an Ignomeriello in Italy, and she said her father believes the Ignomeriellos were from Potenza, and moved to Giovinazzo. It's still in the same southern region of Italy. I have a lot more research to do. Anyway, thanks again for your support! Mike!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The IGNAMERIELLO means someone who deals with Yams while IGNAM means Yams and iello means deals with, sells, cultivates etc.=Peter=
jerseymike

Post by jerseymike »

Thanks Peter-
My Great Grandfather had owned 6 olive & almond vineyards in Giovinazzo. Possibly his relatives had grown yams?! Interesting.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I really am not aware of anything beyond the surname possibility I offered you since there is no other alternative I can offer you. =Peter=