Elmi (surname)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Elmi

Elmi (surname)

Post by Elmi »

Peter and suanj gave me the info below.

Central & North Italy (517 Elmi focused in region Emilia Romagna)
The surname i found in Friuli Venezia Giulia, Croatia, and Camugnano (province Bologna, region Emilia Romagna). Elmi nobles in Montefalco (province Perugia, region Umbria). Costanza (town?)
Elmi

Post by Elmi »

Still used, 'elmi' is the word for 'helmet.' As a name, it's from Helmut and Wilhelm (also, William of Orange at the time of the Norman Conquest), or in Italian, 'Guglielmo.' (meaning Resolute, Will, Desire) + (Helmet, Protector, Guardian)

Source listed below:

Augmentatives:[/b] Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghiglione, Viglione; Memon (Venetia).

Cognates: Gigleilmo, Guglielmi; G(hi)elmo, G(hi)elmi, Vielmi (Venetia, Lambardy); Guiglia, Ghiglia (Liguria); Viglia (Piedmont, Elilia, Campania); Biglia, Biglio (Lombardy, Elilia, Compania); Lelmi, Lemmi, Lembi, Lemmo, Lembo (Tuscany); Mem(m)i, Mem(m)o.

Diminutives: Guglielmin(ett)i, Guglielmino, Gelmini, Vielmini, Ghiglino, Viglini; G(ugli)elmetti,Vielmetti, Viglietto, Viglietti, Biglietto, Biglietti; Guglielmotti, Ghigliotti, Vigliotto, Vigliotti; Guglielmelli; Guglielmucci; Memoli (Compania).

Patronymics:De Gugleilmo.

Variation: Wilhelmi (son of Wilhelm)

Short Forms: English: Will, Bill. German: Willi.

Feminine Forms: English: Willa, Wilma, Willie. German: Wilhelmina, Wilhelmine, Helmine, Helma, Mine. Hungarian: Vilma.

Origin: Wilhelmsen -- Danish, German, Norwegian; Wilhelm -- Dutch; Wilhelms -- German; Wilhelmsson -- Swedish. Transformation of William.

Authors/Source: Patrick Hanks & Flavia Hodges
http://hometown.aol.com/ewgen/WILHELM/E ... ology.html

Elmi

Italian citizen POWs, WWII

Post by Elmi »

I found a WWII term, "nazi lager." Lager usually means light beer to Americans, but this term refers to a Nazi labor or concentration camp:

laager -
bivouac, camp, cantonment, encampment (online dictionary)

I discovered WWII Italians were confined at Bologna and Venice.
POW info:
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/history ... ro-eng.htm
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What else do you need?????????????Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian citizen POWs, WWII

Post by suanj »

Elmi wrote:I found a WWII term, "nazi lager." Lager usually means light beer to Americans, but this term refers to a Nazi labor or concentration camp:

laager -
bivouac, camp, cantonment, encampment (online dictionary)

My Italian relative was rescued from one, perhaps at Bologna. I discovered WWII Italians were confined at Bologna and Venice, and that Germans at one time had control of Northern Italy.
POW info:
http://www.istrianet.org/istria/history ... ro-eng.htm
Really, in Italy the words: "foibe" and "nazi-lager", are used with the same meant, an in effect have same meant for the pain of the italian prisoners..but in truth, the "foibe" was camp of Marx-Lenin ideology, but, "lager" of nazi-Germany ideology.. unfortunately the destiny of the prisoners was equal.....suanj