Cecchere?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Cecchere?

Post by Vivian »

Is or was there a small town named Cecchere, near Turin? Thanks for any help that can be provided (? spelling of Cecchere)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Cecchere?

Post by PeterTimber »

Nothing comparably close. Can you give me the last name involved with this town? Why provincia di Torino but town not known? Is Cecchere (Checkieray) the way the town was pronounced by your family? Any old photo with phtogoraphers name or old postcards or letters with cancellation stamps with town name on it? =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: The only town that might be is CERCENASCO. =Peter=
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Hello Peter - the spelling came from my mother's 2nd cousin, she mailed me her closest guess on the spelling of the town name (given to her by her father). I have been unable to find even one document with the name of any Italian town all documents simply list Italy. We know that it is northern Italy in the area of Turin or Torino. The family last name is Tesio. Thanks in advance for any help. Vivian
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks for the family surname..now we are inbusines. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert TESIO int he first line and beneath that the intials for Torino province TO and then click CERCA for a listing of 183 Tesio in that province and see if any of the towns or first names trigger off any connection toyour family. Please let me know whatyou find. =Peter=
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Thank you again Peter. Would you recommend trying to write those with the same family first and last names? Hoping to find someone that recognizes the names of my family members? I've tried several towns without success and continue struggling on where to go next. Thanks for any advice. Vivian
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Before you do that tell me the family story..there has to be a record of arrival, naturalization, social security, death in the USA that has this information. Tell me about the family fromthe end back to Italy. Include all the facts and family oral history (church names, saints, stories your grandmother told you etc and then get back to the relative who told you about "cecchere and get them to think more about the word. =peter=
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Peter - please search the forum under the name of Tesio or under my user name Vivian. My previous postings provide much of the information that I know. In addition I've located a manifest for my great great grandmother with another son Francesco, SS La Touraine on 11/11/1893 and I'm currently awaiting a copy of my great grandfather Domenico Tesio's death certifiate (12/1955).
It's been a challenge being I've found (along with others) documents under the name of Tesio, Tsio, Tassie, Lecio, Lesie, Gas?, Tisis, Tevis and Tesiv. Any additional information or recommendations you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Vivian
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The information about the 1893 arrival for both is in the www.castlegarden.org website but it does not give a town of origin. =Peter=
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Thanks I have the Castle Garden info and so far even with many documents I can not find one that lists the town. Thanks for your help. Vivian
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This may or may not help.....scroll to the bottom of the page, showing a map with the towns surrounding Torino.

Map

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I want to remind you that his occupation was that of a cigar maker which perhaps your family may recall a factory or a place he manufactured cigars..I cannot locate your previous family oral history so if you would get back to your family members and see what you can come up with. =Peter=
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

here are two options.

Cerisieri, comune of Pomaretto - province: Torino - region: Piedmont

Cernesio, comune of Ceres - province: Torino - region: Piedmont

ciao, john
meticulousmobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by meticulousmobile »

Only posting this because of similarity in spelling and pronunciation, although it is also northern, but what about Cichero, in San Colombano, Genoa? Part of my family is from there, and I have yet to find any way to review records from there. It sounds similar because my grandmother used to remember it as "Ci-cere", or just "Cic". Long shot, but anything helps, right? :)
Researching Pennella, Liuzzi, Bottini, Casella, LaPosta, Defeudis, Gaudet, Gallant and Parant.
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Peter, John and Meticulousmobile - a huge thank you to all of you for responding and for the great suggestions. There are not many family members left but I will contact them and see if any of your suggestions help them with recollection. Thank you all. Vivian