Nebbiu, (BL) Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeMaso

Nebbiu, (BL) Italy

Post by DeMaso »

I am researching the ancestry of Francesco Romano De Maso b:29 Dec 1866 in Nebbiu. He married Giuseppina Del Favero at Valle di Cadore: La Chiesa di San Rocco on 22 Jan 1896. I can find no trace of Francesco's ancestry although the Del Favero lineage goes back to the 1600's (per Roberto Piccioli's fantastic genealogical website). Does anyone know where I might begin to solve this problem?

Joe Blackwell
Chicago, IL
USA
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Nebbiu, (BL) Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

Since Nebbiu appears to be a frazione di Valle Di Cadore 32040 (BL) Veneto there may be a record of birth at their Uffico di Stato Civile. Since you do not state the extent of your research there perhaps this may be an effective lead to follow. Please send any request in Italian and there are form letters at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

=Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

DeMaso wrote:I am researching the ancestry of Francesco Romano De Maso b:29 Dec 1866 in Nebbiu. He married Giuseppina Del Favero at Valle di Cadore: La Chiesa di San Rocco on 22 Jan 1896. I can find no trace of Francesco's ancestry although the Del Favero lineage goes back to the 1600's (per Roberto Piccioli's fantastic genealogical website). Does anyone know where I might begin to solve this problem?

Joe Blackwell
Chicago, IL
USA
Nebbiù (accent over the u) is a locality of Pieve di Cadore, see http://en.comuni-italiani.it/025/039/index.html

You may write to:
Comune Di Pieve Di Cadore Anagrafe
Piazza Municipio, 17
32044 Pieve Di Cadore (BL)
Italy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The inquirer appears to know that Valle Di Cadore is the place of origin,postale 32040 (BL) Veneto.

So how is it that your right and both the inquirer and myself are in error??=Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

My understanding is that Francesco Romano De Maso was born in Pieve di Cadore (località Nebbiù) and got married to Giuseppina Del Favero in a different town, Valle di Cadore, which is most likely his wife's town.

BTW Nebbiù is closer to Valle than to Pieve, could be that in 1896 it belonged to Valle!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your right Nebbiu is a frazioni di Pieve despite the geography. Thanks =Peter=
DeMaso

Post by DeMaso »

I am requesting a birth certificate for Franceso De Maso from both Pieve di Cadore and Valle di Cadore. This I expect will take more than a little time. I thank both Peter and liviomoreno for their assistance in this matter. I will post the outcome of my request when it becomes available.

Joe Blackwell
DeMaso

Post by DeMaso »

Joe Blackwell here again. I visited Tai di Cadore and Nebbiu' in 1999. Poor planning on my part and not speaking Italian worked against me, although the people in the area were wonderful and helpful. My question is: Is Tai di Cadore attached or related to Valle di Cadore, or is it a separate municipality? The addresses for the two Stato Civile's are the same.

Joe Blackwell
Chicago, IL
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tai di Cadore is a frazione di Pieve di Cadore. I assume you know what a frazione is all about.=Peter=
DeMaso

Post by DeMaso »

I'm afraid you've got me there. What exactly is a frazione?

Joe B.
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

The italian version of a parish or even just a village, a subdivision of a commune. Mostly frazioni cover villages (in some cases even just a settlement or very small village) surrounding the main town "capoluogo" of a comune.

The municipality of Pieve di Cadore contains the frazioni Nebbiù, Pozzale, Sottocastello, and Tai di cadore.
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

On this manifest there are 3 De Maso's (starting on line 4) a Luigi, Francessco and Giuseppe. Francessco was heading heading to Syracuse and was 30 years old in April 1896. All three appear to have been masons. These may not be the De Maso you seek though as you haven't indicated if they emigrated or not. But I thought I would check and see.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2882161088
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Mr DeMaso a "Frazione" are neighborhoods, suburbs or hamelts adminstratively absorbed by a nearby expanding Comune and incorporating them into the Comune municipality. =Peter=
DeMaso

Re: Francesco De Maso Nebbiu, (BL) Italy

Post by DeMaso »

Dan M.
Yes, the Francesco who emigrated in 1896 is in fact my wife's grandfather. It's his ancestry that I've been researching which sort of dead-ends in Nebbiu. Thanks for you time and assistance however.... Joe B.