Vinchiaturo

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Vinchiaturo

Post by mmonico »

This is the town where both my greatgrandparents are from. I have never been to Italy but will one day soon. So any of you who have been there could you please tell me a little about it. Im very curious. Thanks.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Vinchiaturo

Post by JohnArmellino »

Vinchiaturo is a town of about 2500 inhabitants, known as vinchiaturesi. It's located in the province of Molise, some 11 km from the provincial capital of Campobasso. It is a very old town, as the discovery of Roman ruins within its boundaries attest.

There are a number of churches in the area. The ruins of la chiesa di Santa Maria di Monteverde can still be seen. La chiesa di Santa Maria della Croce was restored in the 18th century; it features precious silver objects, a 18th century organ, and 13 tablets picturing Christ with the 12 apostles painted by the noted oratinese artist Ciriaco Brunetti (a direct ancestor of my Brunetti cousins). La chiesa di Purgatorio features a carved 17th century doorway. La chiesa di San Berardino da Siena features two chapels; legend has it that the saint, when passing through the village, brought peace to its two warring factions. La chiesa di Santa Maria delle Macchie is a 16th century sanctuary that was built on the ruins of an ancient Benedictine monastery.

On May 20th the town celebrates the feast of its patron saint, San Berardino da Siena. The vinchiaturesi have kept alive the tradition of ruzzola, an ancient game that dates back to the Etruscans. It involves the rolling of large wheels of cheese through the streets. The local cookery includes r'sciusce (boiled legumes and cereal with olive oil), pantoccia sfritta (home-made pasta with fried bacon), ri vruccheluni (boiled broccoli), and la mpanicce (maize flour pizza with vegetables).

Molise is the least populated region of Italy and is not known as a tourist destination. However, in my humble opinion, the hill country surrounding Vinchiaturo is quite beautiful, the people warm and friendly, and the life-style reminiscent of a bygone era. The town can be reached directly via train from Rome or Naples.
John Armellino
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

Hey thanks for the info, when I make it to italy I am def going to visit the town.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I made it to Italy in Sept and went to the town where my GGparents were from. I went to the town hall and got both birth records and the lady was so nice she even found the address of the house my GGF was born in. So i got to see that. Everyone was very friendly.
Question, the date on his birth cert. is off by a year than the one that is one the DOI. if its just a year do I still need to get it changed and if so how do i go about doing that?
Thanks to anyone for your help.

m
JBaranello

Post by JBaranello »

Hello mmonico, JohnArmellino and any others who know of Vinchiaturo.

M, could you tell me a little more about your experience in getting your great-grandparent's birth records? I just recently confirmed for certain that my great-grandfather (specifically my father's father's father) was born in Vinchiaturo, and left for America (and ultimately New Jersey) when he was 21, in 1900.

In addition to visiting and learning about where my family is from, I would really like to get a copy of his birth certificate, if one even ever existed, as I am hoping to establish dual American/Italian citizenship. Were the records you obtained so old? Did the people who helped you speak English? Might you be able to send me the name of whomever helped you there? My email is jabaranello@gmail.com .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
LVeneziano

Post by LVeneziano »

My entire family is from Vinchiaturo. My father was born and raised there, married my mother there and then moved to Staten Island in 1952. All paesani from Vinchiaturo can become part of the St. Bernardino Society. We are located in Staten Island. Let me know if you are interested since I am on the Executive Board. It would be great for you to meet your fellow paesani. Some of them may know your relatives. My Dad knows everyone from Vinchiaturo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since you are on the executive board you might want to keep this website available for quick references in discharging your duties.
www.tuttitalia.it/molise/46-vinchiaturo

The website www...for Vinchiaturo tourist information has an english translation flag on top right should language present a problem for any reader. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Mr Veneziano I discovered that the english translation of the website for Vinchiaturo www.comune.vinchiaturo.cb.it is non functioning and the town fathers have written an appeal to anyone who would VOLUNTEER to translate the website or any portion into english....Just thought this might be a great way to interact with the website don't you think? =Peter=
~Peter~