Looking for Visocchi's in Caserta (near naples)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Studyingabroad

Looking for Visocchi's in Caserta (near naples)

Post by Studyingabroad »

I'm studying abroad out of James Madison University in Firenze this fall, and I'm heading to Caserta/Napoli this Saturday-Sunday with hopes of finding out more about my great grandfather, Giuseppe Visocchi. My grandmother only knows this...he lived in Caserta, he came to North America through the port of Halifax, Nova Scotia between 1921-1926, he or someone in the Visocchi family had a castle, and his wife's name was Antoinette. He then lived in Montreal until his death, which is where my grandmother grew up and the rest of my family now lives. My grandmother lives in Westchester, NY near me, so it's difficult for her to dig up the past being that she's 80 and all of her relatives live quite far away. I'm trying to find out two things: 1) If there's anyway to locate his house/castle, and 2) if there are any of my relatives still living there. Although my Italian isn't that great, I speak enough where I could let them know who I am, and that I just came to pay my respects and take a few pictures for my grandmother back in New York. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks for your time,
Christopher McGowan
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Visocchi's in Caserta (near naples)

Post by PeterTimber »

Christopher as a former student who studied at the Univeristy of Perugia wayback in the 1960's when the world was a much better place, I can appreciate your happy posiiton. Sempre parla italiano e mai inglese!!! if you wish to learn italian.

Do you happen to know if his town of origin is Caserta or he comes from a small town in the provi nce of Caserta since records are most times in the place of origin with duplicates in the provincial capital but you have to know the place of origin! Your response will dictate your research procedures.

In the interim while you await our response read the following so that you will know what state of mind you need to experience to save you time and money. Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I did a quick check for the telephone listings and oddly enough there are no VISOCCHI in all of Calabria but there are 10 listings in the adjoining region of Campania? Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Visocchi inthe first line and Campania in the second line and then click CERCA. (Try Calabria region for confirmation). =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

On a Hunch I tried the yellow pages and came up with two businesses named VISOCCHI.....Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Visocchi in the first line and CE (for the province of Caserta) and the two business names and addresses will show up. I believe a detailed map which will zero in on the addresses is best for you. Go to wwww.mappy.com and put inthe address and the town on the upper left...=Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:I did a quick check for the telephone listings and oddly enough there are no VISOCCHI in all of Calabria but there are 10 listings in the adjoining region of Campania? Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Visocchi inthe first line and Campania in the second line and then click CERCA. (Try Calabria region for confirmation). =Peter=
Caserta is in Campania, not in Calabria...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The above is one picture I found about Palazzo Visocchi, that is located in Atina (Frosinone, previously Caserta Province). I believe that now there is a Museum.

Atina is half way between Frosinone and Caserta. You may find a map here:
Map of Atina, and this is the official site:http://www.comune.atina.fr.it/
Maybe this is an ancestor of yours: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacinto_Visocchi
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Studyingabroad wrote:I'm studying abroad out of James Madison University in Firenze this fall, and I'm heading to Caserta/Napoli this Saturday-Sunday with hopes of finding out more about my great grandfather, Giuseppe Visocchi. My grandmother only knows this...he lived in Caserta, he came to North America through the port of Halifax, Nova Scotia between 1921-1926, he or someone in the Visocchi family had a castle, and his wife's name was Antoinette. He then lived in Montreal until his death, which is where my grandmother grew up and the rest of my family now lives. My grandmother lives in Westchester, NY near me, so it's difficult for her to dig up the past being that she's 80 and all of her relatives live quite far away. I'm trying to find out two things: 1) If there's anyway to locate his house/castle, and 2) if there are any of my relatives still living there. Although my Italian isn't that great, I speak enough where I could let them know who I am, and that I just came to pay my respects and take a few pictures for my grandmother back in New York. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks for your time,
Christopher McGowan
I found a baptism act in Montreal of Angela Rosa Visocchi born in Montreal yhe 3 june 1938 daughter of Giuseppe VISOCCHI and Antonietta SPRECACENERE; godparents: Michele and Ernestina DE CICCO...

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967
about Angela Rosa Visocchi
Name: Angela Rosa Visocchi
Event Year: 1938 (3 june)
Event: Naissance (Birth)
Religion: Catholique
Place of Worship or Institution: Montréal (Notre-Dame-de-la-Défense)
Province: Québec (Quebec)

other children:

about Anna Maria Visocchi
Name: Anna Maria Visocchi
Event Year: 1930 (20 sept)

about Elisa Visocchi
Name: Elisa Visocchi
Event Year: 1933 (19 july)

about Francesco Visocchi
Name: Francesco Visocchi
Event Year: 1937 (24 apr)

I found also a death record of a
about Guiseppe Visocchi
Name: Guiseppe Visocchi
Event Year: 1906 (10 june)
Event: Enterrement (Burial)
Place of Worship or Institution: Montréal (Basilique Notre-Dame)

son of Salvatore and Rosa Dalisio( maube DE LISIO)...
I believe this was some relative of your ancestor...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Studyingabroad

Post by Studyingabroad »

Wow everyone, this is good, this is very very good. To Suanj...that is definitely my great grandfather and my great grandmother. I believe the rest are great aunts. To liviomoreno...i'm going to call my grandmother in a little bit and ask if she knows anything about giacinto visocchi. And to petertimber...if all else fails, I am going to have my program director at Palazzo Caponi in Firenze call those two phone numbers and basically just say: hey, i have a student here who might be a distant relative, he doesn't need a place to stay, he doesn't need anything...he just wants to tell his grandmother he was here. Any other advice? Thanks for everything, you guys are amazing!!! You're gonna make me cry!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dar Christopher your my model!!. While in Italy studying do not speak english if you can avoid it and you will learn Italian so long as you understand the grammar which is learned and memorized simultaneously by speaking. Girls make good teachers by the way. =Peter=