Looking for the meaning and origin of the name SAFFIOTI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
XU1

Looking for the meaning and origin of the name SAFFIOTI

Post by XU1 »

Hi, would any one know where I can get information on the surmane Saffioti? the name is common in Palmi (south)

any info will be greatly appreciated.

Tony...:D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

what information are you seeking? It makes it easier to direct you. Peter
XU1

Post by XU1 »

Hi Peter.

I'm interested in the origin and meaning of that Surname, and to see how far back it goes in Italy or if its a derivative of another name from another country.

Would you know where I can start looking?

Regards
Tony
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for the meaning and origin of the name SAFFIOTI

Post by suanj »

XU1 wrote:Hi, would any one know where I can get information on the surmane Saffioti? the name is common in Palmi (south)

any info will be greatly appreciated.

Tony...:D
Hi: this surname are imported in Italy, not is know the means, but are present in Calabria region, and a similar version Saffiotti are present in Lazio region..other versions was Saffioto and Saffiotto, but currently are rare presence in Italy...knowing calabrian dialect, is very probable original surname are Saffiotto, or Soffiotto
meaning" person who constructs and sells bellows"..but not sure, regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

go to www.google.com and insert the surname in the title with genealgoy alongside the surname for ersons who have condcuted a study of that surname. Peter
tomsaff

Re: Looking for the meaning and origin of the name SAFFIOTI

Post by tomsaff »

From what I have been able to find out - Saffioti means people from Sapho's land. This goes back to the 12th century when Sapho, who was well known in her time and now reverred as the start of the classic arts for western civilization. The greeks were seafaring people. They naturally stopped to resupply between Sicily and Italy. Some sailors stayed in Italy and settled there when their ship made port. The Greeks originally set up towns such as Gioia Tauro known earlier as a Greek town of another name. It was common that surnames are used to identify people, where they were from or their trade in life. Hence, the name Saffioti to identify these settlers who originated from Greece.