Viglione-what are my options

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Viglione-what are my options

Post by jamiestew »

Hello all,
It's been a little while since I posted. I have the research bug again. Ok so my ggg Grandmother Maria Carmela Viglione (Di Toro) came to america she arrived with a young boy Guiseppe Viglione in 1909 in New York. It appears he was her grandson. I am trying to figure out who her husband was and if he migrated to America or stayed back in Italy. I have now record of his name and I dont see him with her on any census. I no longer have a subscription to Ancestry.com (budget cuts hahaha) I was wondering if anyone might have other avenues via the internet that I might use.....Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!
vj
Master
Master

Re: Viglione-what are my options

Post by vj »

Hi!
Are you referring to this information from your previous post?
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rt=15.html

Have you ordered the microfilms for Petrella Tifernina (Campobasso)?
The cost is only about $6.00 mo.

Thanks! Valarie
---

research by suanj :D :

[quote="suanj"]Perhaps I found something:

starting from
1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Vellione
Name: Joseph Vellione
[Joseph Villione]
Age in 1910: 11
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Nephew
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Schenectady Ward 2, Schenectady, New York Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1904
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Silvio Valentine 34
Angeline 24
Joseph Vellione 11

Antony Batiston 31
Lucy Batiston 26
Constantine Batiston 8/12

Well the surname Vellione/Villione is sure wrong, so I searched abt the probable right italian spelling: VIGLIONE
and I found:
Giuseppe VIGLIONE born in Petrella, Italy, age 8 in 1906, travelling with Marianna DI TORO age 56 in 1906, also from Petrella and she and the nephew ( or grandson) joining at Silvio VALENTE son in law in 216 front st, Schenectady, NY
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... ull&RF=52Ã
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Thanks for the help. I havent ordered the films yet. Just so I am sure I understand...I should take the print out of the film info. to the LDS history center and they order the film for me, then when it comes in, I use a flim reader at the center to look over the films?? I just want to make sure I understand. Thanks again.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Yes, you're correct :D
Call your center first to make sure you know their current hours
Have a list of approx dates for births & marriages so you know which film to order
Don't forget to ask about making copies of the records you'll find on your film - you'll probably want to take copies home so you can take your time translating them
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

This may also help:

In case you aren’t familiar with the Famly History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center

---
Italian Record Research from the FamilySearch research guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Three terrific books
to help you find, read & understand your records:

Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research

By Tafford R Cole
google book link

A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link

Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

You can also use this as an excellent guide to research records. I have printed mine out and added it to my collection for quick reference.

Finding Your Italian Ancestors Guide

Keep in mind that once you decide which films you would like to order, you will have to go to the FHC to pay for them in advance. Then you wait for them to come in (it usually takes about 3 weeks but my most recent ones are now 2 months overdue and still no word). Once received, they will call you and you have 1 month to view them before they are returned to Salt Lake. You book your appointment to go and view them and choose a reader (usually a high mag reader for Italian films so make sure one is available before you go). You can decide at this point if you would like to extend them for another month. At the end of the second month, you will have the same opportunity and should you decide to keep them they will be stored at your FHC indefinitely and considered on permanent loan. You can photocopy records for a small charge or you can bring a flash drive with you and copy to that for no charge. Or you can burn the images to CD at no charge if you bring your own.

If you have never researched at a FHC before you will find it much different from researching online but after a while, just as interesting. And you get to meet so many wonderful people. I have a Wednesday night standing appointment now and spend half of that time just exchanging ideas with others.

Enjoy!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Thank-you so much for your help. I found out that the Histrory Center is literally 1/2 mile from my house !!! I have no excuses now!!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

jamiestew wrote:Thank-you so much for your help. I found out that the Histrory Center is literally 1/2 mile from my house !!! I have no excuses now!!!
Lucky you! Mine is an hour away! Let us know how it goes or if you need help with anything.

Good luck! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Thank-you very much !!! I am sure I will need help figuring out what the documents say. I am at a total loss when it comes to reading or speaking Italian..that is on my life's list of things to do !!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ok..no problem. The first time I saw an act I thought I might as well be reading Chinese. I was so overwhelmed. But I realized the easiest thing to do is to first look over the indice (indexes) if they exist for your film and copy them. My films are for the Comuni in Reggio Calabria and the indici are all at the end of the year and are in alphabetical order by FIRST names (something that completely through me off). They may however be recorded by last name or by act number and thats why its important to copy the indici..to become familiar with the format.

For birth acts, here's what they might look like:

1838 Indici for Ardore, Reggio Calabria: F-G

They include: Act number, the first and last name of the child, father's first name and mothers full name (including maiden name) and the date of the birth.

Copy of a birth act:

Francesco Angilletta Birth Act

If I see a surname name I am familiar with right away (like the one of above which is for my grandfather) then I would go to that act and copy it. I set the resolution at 400 and used the Tiff setting (the volunteers should be able to show you how to do this). Tiffs have a higher resolution then the jpgs. Don't expect too much the first night unless there is someone there that is familiar with Italian records. Just get the hang of the readers and copy a few things that you can take home and look over on your own PC. I then used an image editing program to resize it and converted it to a jpg.

By your second or third visit you will start to get more comfortable. And again, so many wonderful people to help here.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Thank-you so much for that info. You have all been so kind as a group.!!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jamiestew wrote:Hello all,
It's been a little while since I posted. I have the research bug again. Ok so my ggg Grandmother Maria Carmela Viglione (Di Toro) came to america she arrived with a young boy Guiseppe Viglione in 1909 in New York. It appears he was her grandson. I am trying to figure out who her husband was and if he migrated to America or stayed back in Italy. I have now record of his name and I dont see him with her on any census. I no longer have a subscription to <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> (budget cuts hahaha) I was wondering if anyone might have other avenues via the internet that I might use.....Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!
the better thing is to find the ship's manifest of Silvio VALENTE son in law of Maria Carmela DI TORO... and to descover the birthsurname of wife: Angelina; they ( Silvio and Angelina) came in USA in 1891... in 1920 maria Carmela was in Silvio house:
1920 United States Federal Census
about Angeline Valente
Name: Angeline Valente
Home in 1920: Schenectady Ward 2, Schenectady, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Silvio
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Name: Carmels
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of Immigration: 1903
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 816
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Silvio Valente 42
Angeline Valente 32
Frank Valente 2 6/12
Yolanda Valente 4/12
Carmels Di Gora 75

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Thank-you suanj,
So it is my understanding that when Italian women traveled they use their madien names is that true?? So My ggg granmother Carmela is listed as Di Toro on this 1920 census but later in 1930 as Viglione. So the name on the ships manifest should be her maiden name ?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

jamiestew wrote:Thank-you suanj,
So it is my understanding that when Italian women traveled they use their madien names is that true?? So My ggg granmother Carmela is listed as Di Toro on this 1920 census but later in 1930 as Viglione. So the name on the ships manifest should be her maiden name ?
Hi Jamie,
You are correct
In Italy women keep their father's surnames
It was lkely in the US that they would adopt the custom of using their husband's surname

As daughter Angelina’s Death record indicates,
- her mother’s maiden name was 'DiTore'
- her father’s name was 'Vigilione'

VALENTE ANGELINA
09/09/1887
ALAMEDA
07/09/1940
52 years

DITORE
VIGILIONE

http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ca/ ... 0000584978
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Jamie,

This site by one of our members has the acts translated. Actually, its a great site with a lot of useful information. Have a look.

http://angelcommunications.spaces.live. ... anslations
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database