Residence question???

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Residence question???

Post by mmonico »

Hello,

Can anyone help me with the best way to go about establishing residence In Italy. I live in the States, do I need to contact the consulate in my region? Fill out forms? Or just go to Italy and start the process there? I need to accomplish this the fastest way possible and I know that it may not be that fast at all. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Residence question???

Post by elba »

First you need to consider what kind of visa you want. Unless you are already an Italian citizen.

As you live in the States and if you are not a citizen - then the process is 'long winded' to say the least. You may find this useful to browse through before you go any further... >Italian Consulate General - New York<

When you get your visa then once in Italy you must apply for a 'Permesso di Soggiorno' (Permission to Stay). That can take up to (and sometimes more than) a year. You will need to rovide proof that you have sufficient funds or income to support yourself AND provide proof of comprehensive private health insurance. Once you get the permission (PdS), then you can apply for residency.

You will need a Codice Fiscale (Tax Code) which is the easiest to get... you can get that number - on line- in minutes.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

E-mail citizenship@myitalianfamily.com who can assist you in your endeavors to reside in Italy. www.myitalianfamily.com =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

PeterTimber wrote:E-mail citizenship@myitalianfamily.com who can assist you in your endeavors to reside in Italy. www.myitalianfamily.com =Peter=
But isn't that a rather expensive way to just find out about attaining residency?

The OP hasn't mentioned citizenship, just residency...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Whats expensive time or money? Residency and citizenship are closely intertwined so there should be no problem when seeking clarification of either category from one source. The inquirer expressed haste slowly which is great when dealing with a bureaucracy!! =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I agree with Elba. Residency has nothing to do with citizenship. To apply for residency you only need a "Permesso di soggiorno", and you'll continue to have your "non Italian" citizenship.

I suggest you go to the Italian Consulate in your region.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

It may be useful to break down the procedure for you and others...

1. To obtain residency you do NOT have to be a citizen.

2. Everyone living in Italy MUST declare (and register) the place where they reside.

3. For foreigners to attain residency they must have applied for their Permesso di Soggiorno. As this can often take more than a year to be granted, the numbered receipt for that application is usually accepted to allow residency requests to proceed.

4. Once residency is requested, the local police WILL visit within two or three weeks (or even on the same day, you never can tell) to verify that you actually ARE in residence at the address you have declared AND that the accomodation meets the requirements for human habitation.

5. If these conditions are met, then the Comune will register you as a resident. You will be required to take your Permesso di Soggiorno to them (once received) for them to note your residency on the reverse of the document.

6. PdS are never issued to visitors with an open ended permission to stay. They can be for varying lengths of time and application for renewal MUST be made before they run out.

7. Once residency has been granted - if you wish to move to another address in the same Comune then you must notify them. If you move to another Comune then you must take your paperwork to them and go through the same 'police' procedure before they transfer your residency to their jurisdiction. This applies to everyone Italians and foreigners alike!

Application Packs to apply for Permesso di Soggiorno can be obtained (free) at Italian Post Offices. They also deal with the issue of receipts and the forwarding and issue process for all applications.

It is important to read and understand the conditions imposed on individuals before a PdS is granted...

But remember - NO valid Permesso di Soggiorno (or reciept for application) means you are an 'illegal' and might be liable to deportation and a temporary ban on any future permission to stay.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba and Livio sometimes there are issues that surround residency requirments that are not addressed by the rules and regulations for residency in Italy...private issues not for publication. =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Elba and Livio sometimes there are issues that surround residency requirments that are not addressed by the rules and regulations for residency in Italy...private issues not for publication. =Peter=
I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make Peter. The OP made no mention whatsoever of any "private issues not for publication". He/she merely requested "the best way to go about establishing residence in Italy" and concluded his/her post by saying "I need to accomplish this the fastest way possible and I know that it may not be that fast at all. Just looking for some advice."

Advice only... and that is all I have offered. I have no 'inside' knowledge of any private issues (but maybe you do?), and none were mentioned, why would I steer a member off to a site which charges for research for citizenship etc.?

But I am intrigued by what 'issues surround residency requirments that are not addressed by the rules'? Can you be more specific?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Elba and Livio sometimes there are issues that surround residency requirments that are not addressed by the rules and regulations for residency in Italy...private issues not for publication. =Peter=
I do not understand what you mean and I still do not see the connection between residency and citizenship. :evil:
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

Dear Elba, Livio and Peter,

I thank you for all your help. I wrote the Consulate in my region (Detroit) to find out what I need to do. I have not disclosed any private issues to anyone. But here is my situation, I am still trying to get documents on my GGF and his naturalization status, to see if I qualify for dual citizenship jure sanguinis. I am going to compete for the Italian National team in a winter Olympic sport but If I can not get dual citizenship then I need to be a resident of italy or at least have an address there while i am in the process of gaining residency and paper work to show that I have started the process. And I need to do this before march or as soon as I can. That is the short story and again thank you all for your help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hope you win!! =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

mmonico wrote:Dear Elba, Livio and Peter,

I thank you for all your help. I wrote the Consulate in my region (Detroit) to find out what I need to do. I have not disclosed any private issues to anyone. But here is my situation, I am still trying to get documents on my GGF and his naturalization status, to see if I qualify for dual citizenship jure sanguinis. I am going to compete for the Italian National team in a winter Olympic sport but If I can not get dual citizenship then I need to be a resident of italy or at least have an address there while i am in the process of gaining residency and paper work to show that I have started the process. And I need to do this before march or as soon as I can. That is the short story and again thank you all for your help.
That's a challenge :!: :!: :!:
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

yes it is but, achievable.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »