Are my divorce documents necessary for the application?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Are my divorce documents necessary for the application?

Post by phil100a »

Hope all are well.

Question: I have a grown child (over 21) that wants to apply with me. However, her mother and I are proceeding toward a divorce. This is my second marriage. How important is it to obtain official divorce documents for a divorce or annulment? I want to be sure because my daughter's citizenship would come through me. Also, what if the divorce isn't complete (or in process) when I have my appointment at the Consulate?

Note: I did obtain a copy of my marriage certificate for my second marriage.

Another thing: my first marriage - very young - also ended in divorce/annulment. Do I require documentation for that marriage/divorce(anullment) as well? My first marriage did not result in any children

Thanks in advance for your help, and Happy Holidays to all!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Are my divorce documents necessary for the application?

Post by mler »

You would, most definitely, need the official divorce papers from your first marriage. Even though you have a legal marriage document from your second marriage, the Italian consulate wants to be assured that this second marriage is indeed legal (marriage certificate notwithstanding).

The second divorce should not be mentioned until it is finalized. Once it is finalized, you present the official documents to the consulate as an addition to your application or, if you have already obtained citizenship at that time, as an update on your status.