Phone calls to Italy

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Phone calls to Italy

Post by tonyric »

I am not sure how tech friendly most of the board membership is. Also, I am not sure what everyone pays for calls to Italy to talk to family, friends, continues searches... But, I wanted to pass along that I have Vonage (VOIP) instead of Verizon or Comcast telephone and with the standard unlimited plan, we also get free calls to Italy landlines. If you haven't considered this before, then please check it out at www.vonage.com. Best of all, you can move your existing telephone number to it and replace your current telephone package for a $24.95/mo (plus taxes, I pay about $30.00/mo). NOTE, I did not give the referral link so I don't seem to be stumping for them, but as a customer, if you choose to sign up, let me know and I will shoot my referral link which will get each of us a 2 month credit.

Tony
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Phone calls to Italy

Post by nuccia »

I use skype for both PC to PC calls and to landlines in Italy. The cost is minimal and the quality is not bad.

I will look into your link though as I am always interested in new things and let you know if I decide to try them.

:)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I have seen their ads on television, but I've been with Verizon forever,
and since I don't know anyone who uses the Vonage service, never looked into it. Just wonder about the quality versus Verizon.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I am curious about Vonage though. Is this service for just one phone? Or can it be used throughout the home with any phone?

My understanding is just one phone.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Wildspirit, As long as you don't have the cheapest lowest speed broadband possible (you can test your speed on their site) your calls (or at least mine, and everyone I know that has Vonage) are everybit as good as Verizon for quality at a lower cost.

lilbees, your phone adapter has one outlet, but by disconnecting the telephone lines at the side of your house (isolating the home from the telephone pole) then all you need to do is plug a phone cord into a wall outlet and all phones in the house are using the adapter just like you are now. I have 3 phones in my house (two wireless and one wired) connected to my phone adapter.

Tony
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hey, thanks for the info.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa