Ruberti history in Pisa (specifically Asciano)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Ruberti history in Pisa (specifically Asciano)

Post by brru25 »

I am wondering if anyone can assist me on finding civil documents in Asciano, Pisa. Many people named Ruberti come from Asciano, Pisa and I'm looking to see how far back I can trace the name. I've gotten as far back as my great-great-grandfather Antonio but I've hit a snag since his parents did not emigrate to America. Thanks for any help given!
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Ruberti history in Pisa (specifically Asciano)

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I take it you have done some American research. Let me ask you a few questions that may better direct us to help you. Was Antonio the first to immigrate? When approximately? Where to? Do you have his birth and death dates?

The reason I ask is that the Family History Center has some civil records for Asciano but only from 1866 to 1910. I don't know if any of your family falls into that time period. If not, we will have to explore other avenues. The more specific info you post, the better someone here can help.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Antonio was the first to immigrate. He first came in 1891 but the stay was temporary. He came back shortly after and have a few children with his wife Iolanda. He came back permanently by himself in 1902. His wife and children joined him in 1903. Antonio was born approx 1869 and Iolanda approx 1871. Both death dates are unknown. Both were married in 1891 (could be 1892). His childrens names were Erina, Louisa, Angelo, Maria, and Assuntina. They originated from Asciano, San Giuliano Terme, Pisa, Toscana. That's as much as I know of their history in Italy. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

You probably already have this manifest, but can you confirm if this is the correct family? ( Names are off a little)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Yes I do have this manifest. It is the correct family. They have her name down as Ida (which I'm guessing is short for Iolanda). Her 1910 census report has her name as Aulanda (which must be a mispelling) and the 1920 census report says her name was Edith (which is consistent with her name being Ida or Iolanda).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Ruberti stems from Roberti whcih does not have any information about the oriignalsource of the name, however, the surname Roberti extends back to the 1600 in Holland and Germany and then seems to become more pronounced inGermany finally suddenly going to Italy, The Western hemisphere, North & South America and extending thruout Italy down to Sicily. What comes to mind if perhaps the family immigrated from Capoistria or farther north in Austria. This is only conjecture on my part. =Peter=
~Peter~
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

The family definitely immigrated from Asciano, San Giuliano Terme, Pisa, Toscana. There's a story that was passed down to me that Antonio had a child who died very young. Antonio built the casket himself and buried the child in South America. I have no idea why he would be down there.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I think your best bet is to order the microfilm from the Family History Center. The time frame of your family fits for the birth records and a marriage record. That will at least give you the names of the parents and perhaps siblings of Antonio and Iolanda.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Yea that's what I'm thinking. Do you have an idea of how much they cost?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Microfilms are about $6 each and take a few weeks to get to your local FHC. Somewhere on this site are detailed directions on how to order. But here is the link to find the center closest to you. You can't order over the phone, but you can call to confirm the hours. I have found staff to be very helpful. Good luck

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Thanks for your help!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

You're welcome. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Will do.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

One last question. If I obtain a microfilm, where do you think I would be able to view them? I'm not sure what place would have a microfilm reader for public use. Unless there's another to view the records with a fancy microfilm reader.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

brru25 wrote:Yes I do have this manifest. It is the correct family. They have her name down as Ida (which I'm guessing is short for Iolanda). Her 1910 census report has her name as Aulanda (which must be a mispelling) and the 1920 census report says her name was Edith (which is consistent with her name being Ida or Iolanda).
Ida and Iolanda are two completely different names. Also Edith is different however it sounds like Ida...