just a quick one

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jolynn
Elite
Elite

just a quick one

Post by jolynn »

hello all, can anyone tell me what proffesion this is? CONTRADINO. i am not sure if this is spelt right as i took it from a 1860 birth cert which was very faded. thankyou, regards, john
vj
Master
Master

Re: just a quick one

Post by vj »

Hi John, from this site:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... obs.html#G

contadino - farmer

Valarie
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello valarie, thanks for that, it is a great site. also on the same birth cert. are a couple of puzzling words for me. could you help? first nella casa rurale a sannacocco. the last word is very difficult to make out. then maddalena savo sua moglivligliana or some thing like. then avanti di noi giuseppe de vico sindallo, well that,s what it looks like. any help appriciated, kind regards, john p.s. it also has name domenicantonio di nallo, the domenicantonio flows together, is that normal. regards, john
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
what you read is not what's written. If you could post the act it would be easier.
Anyway, nella casa rurale means in the country house....sannacocco doesn't mean anything, could be the name of the place but the spelling is wrong; maddalena savo sua moglie legittima = maddalena savo his legitimate wife; avanti di noi giuseppe de vico sindaco = in front of us giuseppe de vico mayor. Domenicantonio can flow together.

Ada
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thanks ada, that is appriciated. i don,t have a scanner so can not post document, thankyou again, regards, john
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
I got it now, sannacocco is "seco lui convivente" which means "living with him".

Ada
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

:? - for what it's worth - i think that Sannacocco, or similar, is the name of the place where they lived (maybe an hamlet). Usually the phrase "seco lui convivente" follows tha bride's name.

Luca
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Luca,
you are right! I realized that after having replied and should have cancelled it but it was late and I was half asleep 8O .

Ciao Ada
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Image ... come ti capisco!

L.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello all, thankyou for your help, i will have to try and get a map and see if there is anything like that on it. i could photo it on my phone and send it as a text if any one can help. kind regards, john
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

What town are you looking at?

Ada
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

could the word possibly be "contrada" which means, District; (of a town) stretch of country; country region. I'm not sure how faded the birth certificate is, hope this helps....
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, it is san germano as they called it then which is cassino now. the spelling is as close as i can make it. the record is quite faded. any further help appriciated, kind regards, john p.s. it just say,s nella casa rurale a sannacocco, the s is a long sweeping letter. regards, john
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

As many times happened, the place could have changed name.

I had a look at the map but there is nothing similar.

Casssino

Ada
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello ada, i have been doing the same thing but can not find anything similar, thanks for your help, regards, john