Need translation/explanation.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Need translation/explanation.

Post by nrepole »

Hi all

I found a certificate my father received in 1959 entitled 'Foglio di congedo illimitato provvisorio'. it lists his name, date of birth and comune (Rapone, Potenza) and says (in Italian) ed inscritto nel Comune di RAPONE Provincia di POTENZA Distretto militare di POTENZA residente in RAPONE arruolato con la classe 1939 A PESCOPAGANO li 7 APR 1959.

Now, can someone help me to understand the purpose of this certificate. Is it informing him that he needs to attend military training at Pescopagano on that date? I know that my father didn't actually do any military training in Italy as he soon left (in Feb 1960) to start some seasonal work in Switzerland.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Nick
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need translation/explanation.

Post by elba »

nrepole wrote:Hi all

I found a certificate my father received in 1959 entitled 'Foglio di congedo illimitato provvisorio'. it lists his name, date of birth and comune (Rapone, Potenza) and says (in Italian) ed inscritto nel Comune di RAPONE Provincia di POTENZA Distretto militare di POTENZA residente in RAPONE arruolato con la classe 1939 A PESCOPAGANO li 7 APR 1959.

Now, can someone help me to understand the purpose of this certificate. Is it informing him that he needs to attend military training at Pescopagano on that date? I know that my father didn't actually do any military training in Italy as he soon left (in Feb 1960) to start some seasonal work in Switzerland.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Nick
The Foglio Di Congedo Illimitato Provvisorio is a document that shows the position in respect of the holders military obligations. That he/she has a partial discharge.

The congedo is a document, issued by the relevant Military District or by the Armed Forces, in which the following information can be found:
- personal records frrom the Office of the State Registrar;
- date of enlisting;
- date of visit for enrolling;
- date of inclusion (or start of service for concientious objectors);
- date of partial discharge (or end of service for concientious objectors);
- date of issue of the document

So your document, from what you say,
says that at 20 years of age he was:
registered in the Comune of RAPONE,
in the Province of POTENZA.
Miltary District of POTENZA.
Residente in RAPONE
enrolled with the class of 1939
at PESCOPAGANO on 7 APR 1959.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need translation/explanation.

Post by nrepole »

Thank you for your help elba. A discharge would make sense.

Saluti,
Nick