Please look at an ellisisland.org record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Please look at an ellisisland.org record

Post by donnawright »

If you will go to the advanced search feature and key in tom as the first name and toma as the last name, you will find Tomasso Tomaicio. The last name was actually transcribed incorrectly..... It is Tomaino. He is my mother's dad. Do the people there make changes since the original document is correct but whoever transcribed it made an error?

He is on line 14. Why is his listing stamped with "Non-immigrant alien?

Scroll over to the "who's your family" part. I can't quite make it out. I agree with Wellsville Ohio but what is ????? Box Wellsville OH? Is it a post office box number?

Right below that ???Box Wellsville is "father and mother." Does that belong to his record or the one underneath. If it is his father and mother who came earlier, that is completely new information to me.

It also says he answered Yes to if he was here before. If he was in the USA before that date is also new information, but what are the two words beside "yes" Looks like "job." From that question, do I understand that I should be looking for an earlier record for him? And records of his parents?

Let me know what you think. Thanks

This is not the fammily I am researching right now, but curiosity has the best of me.
Donna
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Please look at an ellisisland.org record

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Donna just took a look and I read it as 5071 Box Wellsville Ohio, going to his Uncle Giuseppe Lo S??? and yes he was here before 1904-1906. So you should look for a manifest from 1904 and the parents don't belong to him.

Just my opinion maybe someone else can have a look to see what they think.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Donna,

maybe Tommaso's uncle's last name is Lo Scavo...

Laura
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I read 504 Box Wellseville Ohio, going to his uncle Giuseppe Lo Scavo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

A non-immigrant alien is an alternative for the expression Tourist or business person coming for a short stay (usually 6 months). =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

For those of you who helped before, or anyone who would like to take a cut at this.... I have a hard time reading the ellis island manifests. I'm sure I'm not alone here. In the above posts, we were guessing at LoScavo as a US contact point. His record also states he was here before, and there it was.... 1905, a year earlier than the one above. Here is the link.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1

Pianopoli is the town of origin, and I used it as a search component.

In the 1905 record, the point of record does not look like LO...anything. Something else. Same first name, Giuseppi. I knew Tomasso Tomaino, my mother's dad, but I do not know any names earlier than that.

Any guess to the Giuseppi's last name.. Uncle (same in both records)
Wellsville OH - same in both records

I have another one... his wife. Post to follow. Catarina Curcio
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1

This is Tomasso's wife, Catarina, traveling with Salvatore and Francesco (sons). What are all the numbers above the boys names, and what is the A in a circle for. Catarina was 34. The boys ages are kinda scribbled in between the numbers. Any expert deciphers?

Across the page.... Mother Rizzo. First name? Based on handwriting elsewhere on the page, it's not a F, T, S, L.

Again, as with uncle Giuseppi above, Rizzo is not a name I ever heard before.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

donnawright wrote:http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1

This is Tomasso's wife, Catarina, traveling with Salvatore and Francesco (sons). What are all the numbers above the boys names, and what is the A in a circle for. Catarina was 34. The boys ages are kinda scribbled in between the numbers. Any expert deciphers?

Across the page.... Mother Rizzo. First name? Based on handwriting elsewhere on the page, it's not a F, T, S, L.

Again, as with uncle Giuseppi above, Rizzo is not a name I ever heard before.
Salvatore was 4 years old, and Francesco 11 months. Angela Rizzo is Caterina's mother (Rizzo being her maiden name)
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

For all of you who helped me with this, thanks. I have another question. I am finding people simply on ellisisland.org -- sort of. I know my grandfather, Tomasso Tomaino, had siblings, and I recall my mother telling me she knew them because one was a typical red head (whatever!), typical blond (!), and one with black hair. I think all females, but not sure. Their hometown is Pianopoli. I looked under all sorts of spellings of Tomaine/tomaino, etc, and find no one else other than Rosina, who is my mother's sister. She came, apparently by herself at 16. I could not find anyone else stating Wellsville OH on her page. Anyway, is there a way anywhere to search Pianopoli without putting in a name? I might be able that way to find the red head!!
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Same question as above, only, is there a way to search the destination.... Wellsville OH? I know that's where they went. My mother grew up there.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Donna,

I found this 1912 manifest for Giuseppe Loscavo from Pianopoli going to Wellsville, OH. Says he is going to his brothers but does not list a name. The age of this Giuseppe would be too young (I believe) to be the the Giuseppe on the two manifests you linked. But I definately think the surname on your manifest is Loscavo.

Here is the manifest I found (just for reference)
Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012
Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I think you're on to something there. He IS too young to be the Giuseppi Loscavo who was here to take in Tomasso Tomaino. Tomasso came in 1905 and again in 1906.

When I link to what you sent, tho.... I see he names a brother frncesco, and the second link refers to his father Domenico as his US contact. Or am I dense?

They are connected somewhere, tho. Pianopoli can't be too big of a town and neither is Wellsville.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Donna

To search for manifest using the town only go to www.stevemorse.org

select gold form and then just put in the town name of Pianopolis. Let us know if you have any luck.

The manifest I linked states that Domenico is his contact in Italy going to his brother Francesco in Wellsville, OH
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

So far, I looked at stevemorse.org I looked at all the Giuseppi's that left Pianopoli in or before 1905, when Tomasso left and said Giuseppi is his contact. Interestingly, multiple people gave their address as 1102 Commerce St., Wellsville OH (including Catarina Curcio, my GM), and Box 599 (which includes my grandfather Tomasso). And they were all meeting relatives of various last names. Did these people really have places to go? And a PO Box??? They had more grit than I do!

It sort of looks like Pianopolis moved to Wellsville

No other listings for Loscavo other than Giuseppi, and we know he went in 1912 and was 16 years old. And as I said, Tomasso Tomaino's contact in US was Giuseppi, but it didn't look like Loscavo to me -- something shorter but I can't make it out.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

tomaino search:
Check out this link for our Loscavo-type person

This is another Tommaso Tomaino, age 25, came in 1906
and says his brother-in-law is Giuseppi________. My proposed grandfather had an uncle Giuseppi-could-be Loscavo.

The age of this Tomasso doesn't add up for my grandfather; but this is another one going to wellsville OH, with a Giuseppi whose last name I cannot read, and check out the wife left behind....
Loscarro, Loscorro, Loscano, Loscorio, Loscono......
Any takers to decipher the name .... those above are pretty close.

By the way, I used familysearch.org, Search Records, then the pilot program to find this guy.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0495%2ETIF

Big link, but it works; I checked it. Line 18.