Looking for any info on Marchi or Zulpo from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
klmarchetti

Looking for any info on Marchi or Zulpo from Italy

Post by klmarchetti »

I am back again after hitting another wall.... this will be kind of long, but I want to include everything I know...

Here's the info I have from my mother in law: My husband's gr-grandfather Vincent Marchi (Aug 1895 - Italy) married Mary Zulpo (Aug 1901 - St. James, MO). Vincent Marchi's parents were - Sabatino Marchi (1861 - Carpentina, Italy) and Calelia Contina (1872 - Bologna, Italy). However, I was able to find the 1900 Census with a Vincento Marchi born in Aug 1895 in Italy, but the parents are listed as Sundo and Leillo. I can't find any other information on any of them.

From my mother in law, Mary Zulpo's parents are John Zulpo (Jun 1868 - Raquaro, Italy (which I couldn't find on the map.. maybe Acquaro?)) and Stella Gabellina (Feb 1872). I found a 1900 census with a Juno (Jun 1871 - Italy) and Stillo (Feb 1872) Zulpo. I can't find any more information on Mary Zulpo or beyond.

I figured the names are similar enough that they could be the same people, but I can't find anything to confirm it. Also, I find absolutely nothing when looking beyond that. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Looking for any info on Marchi or Zulpo from Italy

Post by pink67 »

klmarchetti wrote: From my mother in law, Mary Zulpo's parents are John Zulpo (Jun 1868 - Raquaro, Italy (which I couldn't find on the map.. maybe Acquaro?)) and Stella Gabellina (Feb 1872). I found a 1900 census with a Juno (Jun 1871 - Italy) and Stillo (Feb 1872) Zulpo. I can't find any more information on Mary Zulpo or beyond.
Just a little clue: possible the right birth place is Recoaro (Vicenza Province - Veneto region), I noticed on Ellisisland.org several Zulpo coming from Recoaro...
And did you noticed that their first daughter on 1900 census was born in Arkansas?

Hope this helps a little...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

On the 1900 census manifest John Zulpo (born on june 1871) was living near Dominck Zulpo (born on 1877)..
Possible this was their arrival manifest on 1895?

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945
about Dominck Zulpo
Name: Dominck Zulpo
Arrival Date: 30 Nov 1895
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Ship Name: Chateau Yquem
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
National Archives' Series Number: M259_81

image:
[img=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5815 ... yi5.th.jpg]

As you can see Dominick was travelling with Gio Batta (Giovanni Battista, maybe John?) Zulpo (24 years and 4 months, so born in 1871) and Margaret Zulpo (16 years and 3 months, so born in 1879)

Laura
Do you know if John had siblings?
klmarchetti

Post by klmarchetti »

Thank you, I'll look into that. I don't know if he had any siblings.

Would there be any alternate spellings for any of the first or last names? Are John and Juno the same, etc?

Thank you again!
Katie
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Katie, I'm glad to help you!
About the first names i know that Gio Batta was a first name (it was my grandfather's name!), it means Giovanni Battista...
I don't know which kind of shortned is Juno but I can suppose that, as the english pronunce in italian could be Giano maybe it was Gianni, the short of Giovanni... but this is only my opinion, I'm not an expert... :D

Laura

I noticed now that on 1900 census manifest there is a "B" just after Juno (or jano?), possible it was for "Batta"....
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

For reference........manifest for Antonio going to his father Domenico who is living in Sunnyside Arkansas.

Laura can you take a look at where he is coming from? Looks like a 2 part name the second possibly being Recoaro the first starts with a G.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Elizabeth :D , I dont think this arrival manifest is related because I found another Domenico (older) in Arkansas, however I wasn't able to understand the first part of the place name but sure the second part is Recoaro...
From this site:

http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/cognom ... eneto.html

We can see that Zulpo is not very common but sure it comes from Recoaro!

Laura :D
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks for taking a look Laura. I was hoping since Antonio was going to his father Domenico living in Sunnyside Arkansas and the first child of John and Stella in the 1900 census being born in Arkansas might mean a family connection. Thought that Antonio and Johh might be brothers. I'll look for a bit longer to see if I can find anything.
stevez
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stevez »

I have all of the information you're looking for. Your grandma-in-law is related to me and knows me. My family immigrated with the Marchis and Zulpos to Sunnyside and Knobview/Rosati. You can email me directly at email@rosati-mo.com or visit the website at rosati-mo.com