Marriage certificate and Census in New York.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
graciel

Marriage certificate and Census in New York.

Post by graciel »

My name is Graciela Alvarez Perretta, I`m researching about the descendants of Maria Luigia Perretta (Mary Louise Perretta in New York (United States). She was the daughter of Gaetano Perretta and Filomena Sarubbi, and the ant of my grandfather. She was borned in Francavilla in Sinni ( Potenza province, Basilicata region, Italy) in 1884. She emigrated in the United States, arriving to New York on July 9th of 1903 on the “Cittá di Napoliâ€
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Marriage certificate and Census in New York.

Post by wldspirit »

Do you subscribe to Ancestry? They have a number of databases, including census. This site may be helpful for locating a marriage record.

http://www.italiangen.org/

to the left of the screen click on vital records.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Graciela I checked the 5 parts of NYC for a marriage record of the Brides which inyour case is maria Luigia Perretta from 1900 to 1915 and it did not reflect any record of her marriage to anyone.

Go to www.Italiangen.org/NYCBRIDESSEARCH.ASP?CODE=4 for the check of her name. =Peter=
~Peter~
ecostoria

Post by ecostoria »

What you need is simple, but not easy to do because you will have to research it yourself.

There is a new and an old place where they are kept. The link is here and this is what it says

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... home.shtml

"If the marriage was from 1930 to present, apply to: Office of the City Clerk." (marriage bureau - not what you want)

If the marriage was before 1930, apply to: Municipal Archives ." (address is below)

You need to read the website before you go otherwise you will waste your time. There are specifice fess and proceedure (simple ones) but following the directions will save you time. Read this page carefully: http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... isit.shtml

This is located across from city hall and across form the marriage bureau. It is an old courthouse.

MUNICIPAL ARCHIVES

Leonora Gidlund, Director
31 Chambers Street, Room 103 · New York, NY 10007
Open to the public Monday through Thursday 9 AM to 4:30 PM, Friday 9 AM to 1 PM

For more information, call 311 or (212) NEW-YORK if outside of NYC.
You can also e-mail the Municipal Archives via the Contact Us form.

For the Census you have several options:
NYC public library at 42nd and some government offices have them. They have free copies of this available for researchers. Ancestry.com is probably the easiest but it is not free.

With all due respect to those who have answered your post, the internet options are helpful only for census in your particular case. You will have to check in oerson if you want to be sure
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

ear Ecostoria at the base of the www url that I furnished the inquirer are the websites you so kindly furnished. I supppose I should have referred her to these listed websites when the return was negative for further search since the inquirer may not have been mindful of what additional resources were available to her right under her sight. Pwerhaps when she reads these additonal leads she may come up with pisitive results. =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the only Maria L. with similar surname, marriage record is:
LaBianco Pasquale Aug 9 1903 Manhattan 16159 (certificate n°)
Perretti Maria L Aug 9 1903 16159 (certificate number°)

it are many records also, but the first name is always only Maria; no Perretta, but similar spelling.........
regards, suanj

PS: ship's manifest the first name is only Luigia
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2667020417
and a:
Perretta Louise Jun 14 1936 12875
Panzera Anthony Jun 14 1936 Kings 12875

so cannot be he...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
graciel

Post by graciel »

Thank you for your help, I think that Louise Perretta isn't the person i'm looking for , because she was born in 1884 and the marriage is in 1936, i suoi discendenti went once to Francavilla. Puó darsi che sia Maria L Perretti and she married when she arrived. I have to find my relatives in New york, I found all my parents in Francavilla ( Italy). I appreciate your help, please if you find some information of Maria Luigia Perretta or documents to see, per favore famelo sapere.

suanj wrote:the only Maria L. with similar surname, marriage record is:

it are many records also, but the first name is always only Maria; no Perretta, but similar spelling.........
regards, suanj

PS: on the ship's manifest the first name is only Luigia
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2667020417
and a:
Perretta Louise Jun 14 1936 12875
Panzera Anthony Jun 14 1936 Kings 12875

so cannot be he...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ma sei italiana?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

e di questo record cosa pensi...può essere lei?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

quando Maria Luigia dichiara di andare dalla sorella Teresa Perretta sai se Teresa era già sposata? forse nel 1910 stava ancora a casa della sorella....

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
graciel

Post by graciel »

Sono italo argentina, ho la doppia cittadinanza, sono nata e abito abito a Buenos Aires, , vado spesso in Italia, principalmente alla provincia di Potenza al Comune di Francavilla e Picerno.
Teresa Perretta è nata nel 1876 a Francavilla, però non ho trovato la sua entrata negli Stati Uniti, so che c´era per la entrata di Maria Luigia. Non sono sicura se Teresa era gia sposata quando emigrò agli Stati Uniti.
Inoltre la persona co cognome Perretti, può darsi che sia, per la data arrivò e dopo pochi mesi si sposò.
Penso che sia conveniente che faccia l' iscrizione ad " Ancestry" che è a pagamento. Tu che ne pensi?. Tu abiti in Italia ?
suanj wrote:quando Maria Luigia dichiara di andare dalla sorella Teresa Perretta sai se Teresa era già sposata? forse nel 1910 stava ancora a casa della sorella....
graciel

Post by graciel »

Peter, thank you for your help. Sincerely yours.
PeterTimber wrote:Dear Graciela I checked the 5 parts of NYC for a marriage record of the Brides which inyour case is maria Luigia Perretta from 1900 to 1915 and it did not reflect any record of her marriage to anyone.

Go to www.Italiangen.org/NYCBRIDESSEARCH.ASP?CODE=4 for the check of her name. =Peter=
graciel

Post by graciel »

I visit the site you recomended me, italiangen, it is intersted. i am thinking to subscribe to Ancestry, or doing it through the office municipal I saw this possibility in the site italiangen. Thank you.

[align=right]
wldspirit wrote:Do you subscribe to Ancestry? They have a number of databases, including census. This site may be helpful for locating a marriage record.

http://www.italiangen.org/

to the left of the screen click on vital records.

wldspirit
graciel

Post by graciel »

I will send an email to the Municipal Archives, I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and it will be nice to go to New York to search personaly the microfilms of the Archives, perhaps I will do it. Thank you,
ecostoria wrote:What you need is simple, but not easy to do because you will have to research it yourself.

There is a new and an old place where they are kept. The link is here and this is what it says

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... home.shtml

"If the marriage was from 1930 to present, apply to: Office of the City Clerk." (marriage bureau - not what you want)

If the marriage was before 1930, apply to: Municipal Archives ." (address is below)

You need to read the website before you go otherwise you will waste your time. There are specifice fess and proceedure (simple ones) but following the directions will save you time. Read this page carefully: http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... isit.shtml

This is located across from city hall and across form the marriage bureau. It is an old courthouse.

MUNICIPAL ARCHIVES

Leonora Gidlund, Director
31 Chambers Street, Room 103 · New York, NY 10007
Open to the public Monday through Thursday 9 AM to 4:30 PM, Friday 9 AM to 1 PM

For more information, call 311 or (212) NEW-YORK if outside of NYC.
You can also e-mail the Municipal Archives via the Contact Us form.

For the Census you have several options:
NYC public library at 42nd and some government offices have them. They have free copies of this available for researchers. <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> is probably the easiest but it is not free.

With all due respect to those who have answered your post, the internet options are helpful only for census in your particular case. You will have to check in oerson if you want to be sure
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

graciel wrote:Sono italo argentina, ho la doppia cittadinanza, sono nata e abito abito a Buenos Aires, , vado spesso in Italia, principalmente alla provincia di Potenza al Comune di Francavilla e Picerno.
Teresa Perretta è nata nel 1876 a Francavilla, però non ho trovato la sua entrata negli Stati Uniti, so che c´era per la entrata di Maria Luigia. Non sono sicura se Teresa era gia sposata quando emigrò agli Stati Uniti.
Inoltre la persona co cognome Perretti, può darsi che sia, per la data arrivò e dopo pochi mesi si sposò.
Penso che sia conveniente che faccia l' iscrizione ad " Ancestry" che è a pagamento. Tu che ne pensi?. Tu abiti in Italia ?
suanj wrote:quando Maria Luigia dichiara di andare dalla sorella Teresa Perretta sai se Teresa era già sposata? forse nel 1910 stava ancora a casa della sorella....
bene Graciel, parli così bene l'italiano! Io sono italiana e abito in Italia... cercheremo Teresa Perretta forse nel 1910 Maria Luigia stava ancora con la sorella, come può essere che da New York si sia successivamente spostata e sposata in un altro Stato degli USA.... ciao, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH