Questions about Naturalization Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Questions about Naturalization Certificate

Post by phil100a »

I just received a certified copy of my grandfather's Naturalization papers from the Monroe County Clerk's office office located in Monroe County, NY. I am also awaiting a copy from USCIS. I did a search through USCIS and that search indicated that the certificate was archived both through the County and USCIS. I ordered up a copy from both places (having yet to receive my USCIS copy, which was ordered in mid-December).

The paper I received is two pages in length; the first page is the "Petition for Naturalization", dated in January, 1920; this page contains a lot of information about my grandfather and his offspring, etc.. - - the *second* page is devoid of almost any detailed information, just the "Oath of Allegiance", "Order of Court Admitting petitioner" etc. and is dated in February, 1922.

My question: Is the SECOND page that actual "Certificate of Naturalization"? I ask because my grandfather's birthplace (Caltanissetta) - listed on the PETITION - is incorrect. There is no mention of his birthplace on the SECOND page. I'm hoping that the second page is all the consulate needs to see.

Thus, my main question: Is that SECOND page the "Certificate of Naturalization". I hope so, as that will keep me from having to make explanations, etc. etc. It's amazing how bureaucratic mistakes from decades ago can cause so many entanglements, and frustration.

I do (finally( have his official birth certificate from Cattolica Eraclea (thanks to Rafaella's excellent genealogical research http://it.groups.yahoo.com/group/Italia ... earch/join)

Earlier, someone suggested I write a letter explaining to USCIS (?) that my grandfather's correct birthplace is Cattolica Eraclea, and present that to the Consulate at my appointment (in March, 2010). Does anyoneo have a comment about that?

Any advice appreciated!

This has been a very long and arduous road. btw, I am also in the process of having NYS change incorrect birth information that was placed on my grandfather's death certificate. If anyonen needs to do that in NY, the place to go is ithe New York State Department of Health - Vital records Division - Attn: Correction Unit - PO Box 2602 - Albany, NY 12220. Make sure you call to obtain details of what documents you need to send, etc. etc.

Thanks to all, in advance, for everything...
mler
Master
Master

Re: Questions about Naturalization Certificate

Post by mler »

Neither is the Certificate of Naturalization. If you are applying in NY, however, all you will need is the Oath (assuming it is certified by the County Clerk). The February 1922 date on the Oath is the date of naturalization. NY is one of several consulates that accept the Oath in lieu of an actual certificate.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

my grandfathers naturalization papers that I received (also from the Monroe County Clerks office,thanks again, Kathy) has four pages, starting with the Certificate of arrival, The Declaration of Intention, then as you have, the Petition for Citizenship, and the Oath of Allegiance page, which has the seven digit C-file # needed when requesting the same papers with the USCIS on the G104A. Are you waiting on the actual naturalization papers from the USCIS or the search request to them ?
if you only need the Oath page in NY then you are all set and wouldn't the Petition page be required also, as this states which county and court it took place in,no ?
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
tdigeronimo

Post by tdigeronimo »

I have also just obtained naturalization papers. When translating these for dual citizenship application, do all the pages need to be translated or just the one that gives the details of the dates, petition # and court name?
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

thankfully these are the only documents that do not require translation or Apostille !
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phil100a »

mler wrote:Neither is the Certificate of Naturalization. If you are applying in NY, however, all you will need is the Oath (assuming it is certified by the County Clerk). The February 1922 date on the Oath is the date of naturalization. NY is one of several consulates that accept the Oath in lieu of an actual certificate.
I'm in Northern California, and have ordered a "document" from USCIS. I'm assuming that's the certificate, because I had them do the search that identified my grandfather's naturalization data. Their search showed a "document" at USCIS and at the Monroe County Clerk's office in NY.

The San Francisco Consulate asks for the Certificate OR the following:

"A) a statement from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis and from the County in which he resided. The statement must show his full name (and any other names he went by on any official documents), place of birth and date of birth, date of the naturalization, certificate number (or, if a legal alien, his permanent resident card number)."

Question: What is that "statement" supposed to consist of? Is that something other than the Petition and Oath documents that I have just received from the County - and that I may receive from USCIS (if they don't send the certificate)?

I have his petition papers and the paper that shows he took the oath (from the County)

One of my *major* concerns is that the petition papers mistakenly show his birthplace as Caltanissetta (Sicily), but the was born in Cattolica Eraclea (Sicily). How would I reconcile this mistake, and how much time would it take. I have little faith in USCIS coming through very quickly with a special request for a letter.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

I'm surprised that you have only the two pages as there should be be four. along with the Petition page and the oath page, as stated earlier there is a certificate of arrival page and a declaration of intent page, four in all. the declaration page lists the County and Court that the naturalization took place in, which is needed at the Consulate. If you have ordered the naturalization papers already(with the G1041A forms?) from USCIS hopefully it will include all four of the papers.Iwould check back with the Monroe County Clerks Office to see why there were only the two pages and not the other two.Call 585-753-1620, Kathy or Irwin can assist. the more I think about it, if USCIS states the record was found in Monroe County, all the more I would contact them to see about the other pages.Here at the Miami Consulate, you need to present the naturalization papers, which is the four page record of naturalization. I think the statement you are referring to is in the event ones relative never naturalized?It's a statement of "No records found" you have the Oath which has the certificate # on it and the County is Monroe,in the Supreme Court. See what comes back from USCIS and call the Consulate if you can. As far as the town of birth goes that will be a question to ask of the consulate. Remember, there are many clerical errors on documents this old,and if you can prove he was born in Cattolica Eraclea and not in Caltanissetta, via birth certificate, which you do have, try and get a copy of his death certificate as this will also have his place of birth on it, marriage certificates usually only list the country when they are very old. you can then show these docs when applying to prove the actual birthplace. The consulates are aware of the many errors over time that can occur.. the main thing that the consulate wants to see as far as the naturalization papers are concerned is that your grandfather did not become a US citizen before your parent was born. I hope this helps.......
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

jcat wrote: if you only need the Oath page in NY then you are all set and wouldn't the Petition page be required also, as this states which county and court it took place in,no ?
My grandfather's papers from NARA included the Declaration, Petition and Oath. On the Petition, my dad was listed, but it had his Americanized name, and his birthday was 5 months off. I simply pulled the Petition from the packet and submitted only the Declaration and the Oath.

Neither NY nor Newark commented on the missing Petition; they were only interested in the Oath.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

thats good news. it also can ease the strain of the numerous errors that are on the petition page of my grandfathers papers. I have discussed this with the Miami consulate and they did not seem to have a problem with the errors on the petition as long as the birth, marriage, death certificates had no discrepancies..