Processetti & Birth Question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Processetti & Birth Question

Post by momdotts »

I have found the birth record and processetti for Giuseppe D'Atina!

It appears he was orphaned, but not sure. How would he get the name D'Atina? Wouldn't an orphan usually get the name Esposito?

I have all the documents. If anyone can translate, please let me know, as I am not sure how to upload the documents to the website.

Thank you again!

Barbara
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Processetti & Birth Question

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Barbara

Email me the documents at EJFFTS @ aol.com (no spaces). I'll upload here so you can get the documents translated.

Regards,
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Here is the birth act

Page 1

Bottom of Page 1

Page 2

The processetti has alot of images so I'll post a few pages at a time.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Processetti

image 1

image 2

image 3

image 4

image 5
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

image 6

image 7

image 8

image 9

image 10
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

image 11

image 12

image 13

image 14

image 15
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

image 16

image 17

Ok that's everything you wanted posted Barbara. One of the experts in translating might look at them today but tomorrow would probably be more realistic. There's a seven hour difference between the USA and Italy so it's almost 10pm there now.

Good luck with your research.
Elizabeth
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Barbara

Giuseppe d'Atina was, in fact, an abandoned infant. In 19th century Italy, he was called a proietto. You will see that word after his name on several of the documents. In addition, you will see the phrase "ruota di proietti" on his birth record (right before his name), which is loosely translated to "foundlings' home". He was abandoned at the ruota di proietti without any token or sign of identification. He was given the name Giuseppe d'Atina. While Esposito was a common surname assigned to proietti (especially in the area around Napoli), there were many other names assigned to these children by town officials. If you are doing extensive research in one town, you can get a sense of how that particular town chose the surnames assigned to proietti.

From a prior post on assigned names:
From what I've read, the surnames assigned to the foundlings varied from town to town. Some towns used surnames such as Proietto or Trovato [foundling], Esposito [of this place], and D'Ignoti [of unknown], which surnames reflected the status of the child. Some surnames were tongue-in-cheek, such as d’Amore. In 1928 these methods were outlawed as being detrimental to the foundlings so named. Other towns used the surnames of noted men or of families that had died out. My area of research is Campobasso --- during the early part of the 19th century, that town often used the names Esposito and Fortunata. However, by the middle of that century they predominantly used variations of common surnames, e.g., Angellillo to Angellini. In the late 19th Century, I noticed some beautiful descriptive surnames, such as Cuorgiusto and Fiorebello. However, one foundling was named Maltesta - I can only imagine how that infant must have cried and bawled!
John Armellino