missing grandparents marriage certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

missing grandparents marriage certificate

Post by belmoro19 »

hello everyone.
i will applying for juri sanguinis through my mother-grandfather-great grandfather.i have everyone document needed except for one-my grandparents marriage certificate.i have searched everywhere i cannot find it and have come to the conclusion that it isn't to be found.i do have my mother's baptism certificate as well as her birth,marriage and death which list her parents on all.
My question is should i go ahead and try to apply at the consulate(philly or miami) and see if they will except the missing certificate.i have No Record letters from everywhere i searched.what are my chances that they will accept my application without it.on both granparents death certificates it does state they were married.they might have been common law married in pennsylvania(1940-1974).do the consulates recognize common law marriage.i have tried contacting the consulates and only have recieved emails with the criteria for juri sanguinis not really an answer to my question.I am not sure what to do at this point! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: missing grandparents marriage certificate

Post by nfig1 »

What do your parents say? Have you considered church records? Have you checked census documents to ensure you are looking in the right county? Have you tried all possible name spellings?
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Unfortunately both are deceased.I have one aunt who I have asked and she really didn't want to answer the question.I think it must have been a family secret.I have checked churches in philadelphia-no record,i have searched diffrent counties in pennsylvania and new jersey with nothing found.As far as I can tell they were not married but on grandmother's social security records she was using her married last name-which is confusing.on death records both have married checked on the certificates.I don't know what to think.I am planning on apllying anyway with as much supporting documentation as possible and taking a chance and see what happens.I am using mother's baptismal certificate,marriage record which has both parents and her father's signature that he gave his consent,mother's birth certificate,grnadmother's social security records and all the NO RECORD letters I have received.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you can say us the names and other infos? maybe we can help...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Can you approximate their year of marriage and do a marriage index search for their state of residence?
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Thank you for your help.This is the information for my grandparents:

Grandfather:Anthony or Antonio Scaltrito
Born: May 3,1909 in Philadelphia to Giovanni Scaltrito and Eremindiana Ferrara

Grandmother:Anna Caputo
Born: July 4,1919 in Philadelphia to Luigi Caputo and Maria
Macchione
If they did marry I am going to guess between 1939 and 1973.I know it's a wide range but they might have married when my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer in 1972 so she could collect his benefits.She did collect his benefits when he passed.When i called social security the woman told me she recieved his benefits and only could do so if they married and she said there was proof of the marriage but she couldn't or wouldn't tell me the info.This is all I have to go on.I hope that you folks will be able to help.
I know they resided in Philadelphia and Salem county new jersey.i was told there was nothing to be found but maybe something was missed.Thanks again and if you need anything else please don't hesitate to ask.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Belmoro:

Is this the family of your grandfather? He would be the Tony who was 22 in this census. Sometimes backtracking to where the family lived can help.

1930 Census Hammonton, Atlantic, New Jersey

Household Members:
Name Age
Antonino Scaltrito 53
Cathrine Scaltrito 50
Tony Scaltrito 22
Jennie Scaltrito 19
Josephine Scaltrito 17
Nena Scaltrito 14
Angelo Scaltrito 11
Nancy Scaltrito 10
Lena Scaltrito 6
Frank Scaltrito 3 11/12

Do you have the obit for your grandparents. Often, especially if they are more recent, they will contain details of marriage. Of course, this information is only as reliable as whoever provided it, but it is something to consider.

I did find an obit for Anna Caputo Scaltrio's sister, Caroline Agostine who died March 1974. I can post it if you do not have it.

Debbie
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Debbie
thanks but unfortunately this is not him.the funny thing whenever i did a search this is what always comes.i'm not sure if they related to me.does the census say it is antonino's son if it is then it is not him although the age is exact but could be just a coincidence.
i do not have the obits for either grandparent.grandfather passed in 1974 and grandmother passed in 1982.where could i search to find them?i doubt my family has them.they both passed away in philadlephia.

i do believe that this her sister. she had a sister called Carolina.don't know anything of her.if you would could you please post it for me.

thanks for the help
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Belmore:

I sent you a PM. I don't know if you need the marriage record you are looking for.

I did some quick checking on Ancestry and did not find much on your grandfather or family. I realize your goal is dual citizenship, so looking for other records may not interest you. Have you found grandfather's family on available census years? If not, you may want to do this research. Might help pin down some dates and places to look for records.

Debbbie