my family search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
HVeneziano

my family search

Post by HVeneziano »

Hi everyone
I just joined this site and was wondering if any one else's family tree links up with mine. The surnames I have found so far are Veneziano, Seminatore, DiSimone, Broccia, and Ippolito. My great grandparents were from favara and Castro fillipo, agrigento, Sicily. Any information anyone has on any of my surnames would be appreciated.
Thanks
Heather Veneziano
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: my family search

Post by ptimber »

go to www.google.com and insert the surname and the word "genealogy" alongside each name for anybody researching that surname./ Peter
HVeneziano

Post by HVeneziano »

thanks for responding but I can't find any links to my family through google. Do you think it would be worth the money to subscribe to ancestory.com or one of those sites? I am hesitant to do so because I am not sure of how much information they would be able to give me. Maybe I should list more than just the surnames I listed in my previous entry.
My great grandparents were Giuseppe Veneziano and Maria Seminatore, from Favara and Castrofilipo, Agrigento, They came through ellis island in 1910(Giuseppe) and 1912 (Maria).
Giuseppe was born in 1888 to Antonio Veneziano Broccia (b.1825) and Diega Broccia. Antonio was born to Filippo Veneziano Broccia and Isabella Ippolito.
Maria Seminatore (b1896) parents were Giuseppe Seminatore (b1849/47) and Diega DiSimone (b1855/57) I think Maria had a sister named Anna.
Thanks
Heather Veneziano
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In Italy all records are in the town of origin and no where else except for military records which are in the provincial capital. If you wish to review microfilm records of births,marriages and deaths in the civil records of the town of origin, you can either request documents from the town of origin or perhaps they are on micorfilm at the family histoiry library of the Mormon church nearest your home and for southern Italy normally go back to 1809 and northern Italy is spotty with some places having civil records and others do not. The cardinal rule in researching is to start at the end and work backwards so starting off at ellis island if thats the point of entrry of your immigrant ancestoirs start there. Peter
HVeneziano

Post by HVeneziano »

I am not sure of exactly who to contact. I found web pages for Castrofilippo and Favara and have e-mailed the web site hosts on their advice but I did not recieve any replies. I have also e-mailed the catholic archdiocese of agrigento but they too have not answered. I think I might have to write to them in Italian instead of English like I have tried before. I don't speak or write in Italian but I am going to ask some of my neighbors to help me because I live in a italian neighborhood. Do you have any suggestions of who I should e-mail in the towns?
Thanks
-H Veneziano
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I suggest you this web site, where you can find italian forms letter, to contact civil registration office, state archive etc

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

I hope it helps. Bye Riccardo
HVeneziano

Post by HVeneziano »

Thanks for the website. I'll let you know if I get a response.
-HVeneziano
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Heather........

A couple of things:
The civil records for both Farara and Castrofilippo are on microfilm at the Family History library. Go to www.familysearch.com and find the library branch nearest to your home. Also search the site for library holdings of records for these towns.

The civil records are the birth, death, marriage records. The are in Italian but can be read with a translation dictionary and a lot of perseverance.

I looked at Maria Seminatore's passenger record. She was meeting her sister, Rosa. When I found Rosa's record, stated she was going to meet her brother Salvatore. There is an Angelo with brother Salvatore, all stated they left their father, Giuseppe in Castrofilippo. So go through all the Ellis Island records and check for relatives....they are there. Also a Maria Antonia..could be a cousin or sister...and Maria Antonia's sister, Vincenza... Vincenza is crossed through so she might have had a problem, but she was married to a Calogera Piazza...but both state Giuseppe as father. There is a lot of family to wade through.

What ship did Giuseppe come on? I cannot find him with the date of 1910 so if you could help, I can check and see what esle I can find.
Also, what is the name of the children of Giuseppe and Maria? If I can find them in the census, it might help with other things.....

Let us know and we will see what we can find.
HVeneziano

Post by HVeneziano »

Thank you so much for all the information in the last post. I went to ellis island.org and found out that Rosa(b1879), Angelo(b1886) and Vincenza(b 1889) all seem to be Maria's siblings. I could not find information on the Salvatore or Maria Antonia you mentioned but I will keep trying. I have also been searching familysearch.com.

Maria's husband Giuseppe Veneziano is listed on ellisisland.org as Broccia Gppe Veneziano he came over on the santa anna on october 04, 1910 when he was 23. I think that the Salvatore(b1872) that also came over on that ship might be his brother.

Maria and Giuseppe's children were
(now past on)
Anthony (antonio)
Joseph (Giuseppe)
Philip (Filippo) my grandfather
Lilian
(still alive)
Roseann
agnes ( i think her name was originally diega)
Isabella

Thank you once again for all your help!
HVeneziano
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Checked the passenger manifest for Giuseppe....left his mother in Italy....not the same name listed as you have for mother...it this the correct Giuseppe?

Why the use of the double last name? Veneziano Broccia???? Not usual in Italy...more likely in a Hispanic listing. Is Broccia the correct last name that is passed through time? Or is the Broccia name like a clan name that describes the group of Veneziano's?
HVeneziano

Post by HVeneziano »

I think that when I was looking for Giuseppe Veneziano on ellisisland.org I might have picked the wrong one. He might actually be listed as being from the USA. The solid facts that I know about him are that he was born on March 1888 and died October 15 1968
he was born in Favara, Agrigento Italy to
Antonio Veneziano and Diega Broccia

also that he was a private in the 25th company at camp upton NY and he was discharged on Sept. 11th 1918 to be able to support his family

Through my own research I have found out that his father Antonio Veneziano had Broccia attached to his name as did his father Filippo Veneziano Broccia married to Isabella Ippolito. I am not sure why they have double last names. I also find it strange that Antonio's wife Diega's last name is Broccia my thought is that there was probably some family relation.
Thanks once again
HVeneziano
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Do you think that obtaining his miuliatry records in the US Army will help? if so you can file form 180 ..world war 1 and later military records with NARA. Peter
HVeneziano

Post by HVeneziano »

I already have a copy of his milatary records, he was only in the army for two months when he got an honorable discharge. The discharge papers do not list any other information on his family. I have just sent letters out to castrofilippo and favara, I hope to learn more from them.
Thanks
HVeneziano
ccatanise

Post by ccatanise »

Hi Heather:

I hope you are still searching for Broccia relatives from Castrofillipo. My name is Candi Catanise and Diega Broccia was my great grandmother. I have three siblings and a lot of information regarding the Catanese family. Somehow on my father's birth certificate his name got changed from "catanese" to "catanise". Go Figure! Where do you live?

Candi Catanise
camp1779

Post by camp1779 »

Candi,
Heather is my cousin and has passed along the results of her research to my family. Diega Broccia was my mother's grandmother on her father's side. He was born in Favara and not Catrofilppo so the Diega we are looking for is probably from there as well. Our family from Castrofillipo comes from my mother's' mother's side. If you are still checking this site, we can compare notes and see if there is a connection.

Susan