Translation of legitimacy statement on birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of legitimacy statement on birth record

Post by borderline »

Hi,
I'm fairly sure this is going to say that the parents weren't married, but if anyone can translate this for me it would be appreciated. Forgive any transliteration errors:

"dalla qua unione con una na no moritata, non parriste ne affine con le nei gradi dre ostano al reconagaimento"

For this person, the father was listed, but no mother's name was listed. The birthdate was in 1882
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Translation of legitimacy statement on birth record

Post by Lucap »

The right transcription: "dalla sua unione con donna non maritata, non parente, né affine con lei nei gradi che ostano al riconoscimento"

You are right: they weren't married (also if i think that they were married with a religious ceremony, but not with a civil one, a thing that often occured in the time 1866-1928).

Luca
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

Thanks Luca, I wasn't too far off! At least you knew what I was saying. So in this case, the parents were not married, is it customary to omit the mother's name on the birth certificate? I'm fairly sure the father's name is listed.
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

Luca,

I have seen this statement many times in birth records. Would you please translate it? I was told that the "non parente" part was an assurance that the mother was not a relative of the father, which was a very important aspect. But, I am curious as to the actual translation of the whole sentence.

Thank you.
Bette
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

I hope you'll be able to understand my poor english.
For centuries in Itay the only form of marriage was the religious one. When Italy bacame united (in 1861) was created a new legal order and was stated to set up a Civil Status, the only way to identify a civil condition (birth, marriage, death, draft lists etc.). But people felt that the real marriage was still the religious, so for many years they continued to get married only in front of a priest. This problem was solved in 1929 with the "patti lateranensi" ( http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_lateranensi ); until this time the State didn't recognize the religious unions, but it was obliged to identify a new born, also if he was son of a non-legal couple. And this is the case you posted. The registrar filled up the form only with the father's name, but he was obliged to verify that the mother was not a parent of the declarant (within the 6°) and that she wasn't already married with another man, so if then the couple decided to marry also with a civil union, they could recognize the children born in the meantime.

Ciao
Luca
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

Luca, thanks for the explanation, this makes a lot of sense now. But could you please try to explain this part again, I don't understand:
Lucap wrote: The registrar....was obliged to verify that the mother was not a parent of the declarant (within the 6°)
Thanks,
Jeff
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Lucap wrote: The registrar....was obliged to verify that the mother was not a relative of the declarant (within the 6°)
Luca, forgive me if I correct you. Parent, in English, is the father or othe mother. Parente, in Italian, is a relative
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

:oops:
In fact i wrote: "...my poor english" (sorry for the mistake).

Luca
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

liviomoreno wrote:
Lucap wrote: The registrar....was obliged to verify that the mother was not a relative of the declarant (within the 6°)
Luca, forgive me if I correct you. Parent, in English, is the father or othe mother. Parente, in Italian, is a relative
OK, so this means that the mother is not closely related to the father.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

That's correct!