Relatives from ANCONA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jayne

Relatives from ANCONA

Post by jayne »

Can anybody help.

I have a STEPHEN VINANEA born 1805 in Ancona. He died in England in 1881. His father was Bartholomy Vinanea.

Does anybody know of the VINANEA surname in Ancona?

Jayne
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Relatives from ANCONA

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jayne there is no Vinanea listed in the Ancona telephone directory, nor its province or its region. The surname is not current in any part of Italy which lead me to conclude that there is a mispelling here or the name is extinct in Italy. There is no listing for the surname in the Italy surname dictionary making the surname either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized.

I will check out the Mormon www.familysearch.org listings for the name and if there is a record I will be back, if not my silecne is your message. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your initialinquiry is based upon the 1805 birth in Italy and an english listing as well. Perhaps if you go to www.findmypast.com which is a paying website may be of assistance on a one shot check for little money.. =Peter=
~Peter~
jayne

Post by jayne »

Thanks for the info Peter. Doesn't surprise me. I have no way of knowing whether this is a correct spelling. I saw it somewhere listed as Vin'anea, but it is generally listed as Vinanea on all the English Census reports. I do have a subs. to Findmypast, but have found nothing on there. Thanks for having a look anyway.
Jayne
Marcas
Rookie
Rookie
Location: Marche (in picture: the Pope venerates Our Lady of Loreto in the real Loreto, which lies in Marche)

Post by Marcas »

I think VINANEA is what we get when trying to write down foreign sounds, aka when a migrant shows up at some office in 1800 . Hint: analfabetism was the norm.

So I've calculated the soundex code, which is V550, and searched like-sounding italian surnames. Let's have a look at top matches.
vanini =V550
venini =V550
vanoni =V550
All real italian surnames.
In this approach I can lookup those into registries of Ancona. But I still need an information: have you extracted the mother name,surname of Stephen Vinanea in census(es)? I need it in fact.
-- Marcas

Expert in Marche region Image
Origins, surnames, emigrations, families, certificates of birth marriage and death...
jayne

Post by jayne »

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, I had not checked my emails at this address for a long time.
I don't really have any further information about Stephen Vinanea's parentage. My only clue is that his father was Bartholomy (Vinanea?)
I really do not know where to look and I agree with you that the name was probably corrupted on arrival in England.
Thanks for any help,
Jayne
Marcas
Rookie
Rookie
Location: Marche (in picture: the Pope venerates Our Lady of Loreto in the real Loreto, which lies in Marche)

Post by Marcas »

Let's try in another way: could you record how you (or a true anglosaxon) would pronounce VINANEA? Let's have Italian speakers hear it, and propose better approximations...
-- Marcas

Expert in Marche region Image
Origins, surnames, emigrations, families, certificates of birth marriage and death...