Obtaining Records from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Obtaining Records from Italy

Post by donnawright »

I am reviewing my favorites list for articles and how-to's on sending for records from Italy. One source, Steve Saviello Tips states this:

Request the EXTRACT!!! rather than the certificate

Please explain

Donna
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Re: Obtaining Records from Italy

Post by donnawright »

Also, in putting together a family history book or online history book, wouldn't I want a copy of originals?
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The EXTRACT=ESTRATTO contains more informationthat the usual certificate of BMD's and is equvalent to our LONG FORM. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

donnawright wrote:I am reviewing my favorites list for articles and how-to's on sending for records from Italy. One source, Steve Saviello Tips states this:

Request the EXTRACT!!! rather than the certificate

Please explain

Donna
There are 2 types of Estratto:

Estratto per riassunto - This is an excerpt of what is written in the register book

Estratto per copia intergrale - This is a exact copy, word by word, of what is written in the register book, including all the annotations. In some cases it is a photocopy of the book.

You should always ask for an Estratto per copia intergrale.
Nelida

Post by Nelida »

Hello,

I am new to this site and wanted to request documents from Italy as well. All I know is that my ancestors came to Puerto Rico from Trieste (don't know if the actual town or just the region) and that they were born Abt. 1800 in Trieste. Any idea how to go about my search? Should I pursue church records?

Any advice is appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Prior to 1812 Trieste was in the hands of napoleon until1812 when it was no longer part of Italy and until Italy unified in 1870's when Trieste became part of the Friuli-Venezia-Giulia region of extreme NE Italy.

In Italy civil records for births,marrriages and deaths are in the Ciyt, town or even village of birth. Trieste is both a Cityand capital of the province of Trieste so that records of BMD are archived, if available, in the City of trieste only for those persons born in trieste City. The remaining dependent towns and villages inthe Province of trieste each ave their own archives of Civil records.

There are no records on micorfilm for the city of trieste and your vague date of birth or place of birth makes it very difficult. You ned to know what church you are talking about since each churc h may have records.

Can you please review family oral history and come up with more specific and exact locations? =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Trieste was annexed to Italy after WWI in 1920. Prior to that date it belonged to the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
Nelida

Post by Nelida »

So, if I assume that the two relatives that I am looking for were born between 1797-1800 in the town of Trieste, and that town was not officially part of Italy yet, what language would I find on the San Giusto church records? All documents from Puerto Rico are pointing me to that direction. In Spanish they are Santiago (emigrated to PR in 1817) and Vicente (emigrated to PR in 1822) Marín, but I understand they were sons of an unknown "Marini".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since it appears to be an Italian church judging by its name they might have records in both Italian and/or Latin or perhaps German if required by law and Latin. But I suspect that they would just use Latin and nothing else

I assume you know the address for the San Giusto church but what is of interest is that there is only one church with a listed telephone indicating that there is a resident priest occupying the church other than San Giusto. The telephone number is 040225290.
You can find the name and address and the above telephone number with all the other9 churches in trieste listed at www.parrocchie.it and put in Trieste in the right side and click Cerca. =Peter=
~Peter~
Nelida

Post by Nelida »

Now it seems that I have a specific year, 1785 in Trieste, but no source. How much money do you think I need to request a church baptismal record in San Giusto?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Nelida wrote:Now it seems that I have a specific year, 1785 in Trieste, but no source. How much money do you think I need to request a church baptismal record in San Giusto?
You should ask the priest.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to request what costs are involved in the hiring of someone to research the records since that would enable the priest to put down an amount that is clear of any self -interest on his part. I do recall that several years ago when the dollar was a lead currency the Mormon church used to suggest sending $15-20 dollars as a donation for record search requests. Since that time much has changed so I would immagine hte donation amount would far exceed $20.00. =Peter=
~Peter~
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

lds.org Family Search. Best place to get many records from Italy and everywhere else.