ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by Eleven »

I have been volunteering both at ancestry and the LDS, indexing records. The LDS records will be free to search and free to see the documents. Ancestry provides anyone with a free search but there is a fee to see the actual documents.

They announced today, that their volunteers will have free access to the documents being worked on in the world archives project.

Right now, as far as italian records go, we are working on Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Piemonte, Italia: Registri di Matrimonio e Morte, 1866-1937 (Italy: Marriage and Death Records).

If you volunteer, you do NOT have to work on the italian records to be able to view them when they get online. You can work on any project that they are currently working on.

See their article below.

Free Access to World Archives Project Images Now Available!

* Posted by mphilips
* March 4, 2009

Active contributors can now receive free access to the original images for databases keyed through the Ancestry World Archives Project! Active contributors are participants who have keyed more than 900 records in the last 90 days. If you are an active contributor, you will automatically receive access to these images while you remain above 900 records for the last 90 days.

Our first database keyed through the World Archives Project was the Wisconsin Mortality Schedules so active contributors can now access images in the U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880.

As always, indexes keyed through the World Archives Project are free for everyone on Ancestry.com. Thank you for all the work you do to help preserve these records!
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by sigel7 »

Please let us know when the VB providence is complete. My Grandmothers origin comune is there and I have been waiting anxiously to see some info. Thanks for the insight.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

It wont be for a while..because, nobody is working on them but me and some other person (as per discussions on their forum). You need 3 people to work on each record.

Two people type the exact same record. Then the two are compared, if there are any differences, by an arbitrator...which has to be a 3rd individual who was selected to arbitrate. Both myself and the other person can arbitrate, but we cant do our own.

I seem to be moving faster than her, plus for some reason, she isnt getting the same documents..so both of our works, are just sitting. Somehow, 4 records have made it to arbitration. They have been sitting there for a week, because nobody can arbitrate them.

At this rate..those records wont be available for 2 years. And the only way that we might see other towns or regions, is if this one gets completed.

If anyone has free time and would like to volunteer, I am sure they would be happy to have you. They dont bother you, nor contact you. There are forums with other volunteers helping each other..and you are NOT obligated. You can go sign up..try one and never do another one.

This goes for both ancestry and the LDS/FHL. You are under no obligation at all. Once you volunteer, what you choose to do, is up to you.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You know I like to get involved in transcriptions....especially for those that will be made able for free....but I am somewhat hesitant to do Italian records...my Italian isn't all that good.... :oops:
So how hard would it be?????
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

I don't know how you read those records. It is bad enough the they are hand written in caligraphy but they don't let you compare them to other images to see how that person writes. Or at least I can't figure out how to. I'll try to help you out when I can.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

:D I did my first "job" this morning.... I must tell that I'm italian so it's pretty easy for me to understand words and names...
I just need some time to "understand" how it works with the "section" of the extractions.

Laura
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

You can do this without being fluent in Italian. I am not. I have experience with the documents, since I have done my own italian genealogy.

The ancestry copies are mostly, very crisp and clear. They are enhanced copies.

When you download a set, you get 5 documents. You can view them all. Near the left, up top, there is a little icon that looks like a sheet of paper. You can bring up a copy of all 5 documents in another window, to view them. In these sets, you may not always get 5 documents with data. Some are cover pages, so you would choose, from the list on the right, if its a cover page or blank document..and it passes it.

Most times (because hardly anyone works on these) you will get an entire town, 5 pages at a time. You quickly become familiar with the writing.

The names appear twice. Over on the side in huge letters and within the document. On the marriages and some of the publications, you can scroll down to the bottom of the document, and see their signatures. Sometimes, that will clear up for you, what you didnt understand in the other two places.

They make things very simple for you. You can send back a set undone or half done. If you are uncomfortable with a document..you send the set back. If a set stays in your computer for 7 days..they auto take it back.

For the first few days, you will find this a very slow process. it takes time to learn the software and get used to the writing. And you will make mistakes. Dont worry, they have someone arbitrating. They take the works of two people and compare whatever doesnt match. They choose what they think is correct. heh..and we arent always right, either...lol

Just a tip.

Ancestry gives an accuracy score. They did this after people wanted to know how they were doing. I dont think this scoring was such a hot idea, since you dont know where your mistakes are.

If you want to become an arbitrator, you need an accuracy score of 95%. If you are interested in getting that up, I suggest you dont do the italian ones. Choose the New York naturalization. (Not NYC..the NY ones). They consist of 10 cards with a type written name..first and last..and they run in alphabetacal order. If you work on these, once your score is 95, you are auto selected to arbitrate.

If anyone needs any help or has any questions, I visit this forum several times a day and would be happy to help you, if I can.

I feel very strongly about getting our Italian records out there. Most people volunteering both at ancestry and the LDS do not select records in a language they dont understand. If we dont do it, it wont get done. If people dont work on these, they wont select italian records to put online.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Wldspirit, You can do this...lol

Go check them out.

If you had to view your own documents in Italian, these are no different.

You all know, how the same names repeat and repeat. Before you know it, you are familiar with every single name, and know what it is, at a glance. And if you dont know something, you take your best guess.

I really enjoy doing this. I think I have a "thing" for these beautiful Italian names..lol
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

can you do this using a mac computer?
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Ya know..I dont know. I will post on their forums and see if anyone knows.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Nobody ever answered my post, but I did some looking around there. The only tech help that I have found is for windows. I guess you need a pc to use their software.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

so, how do we join?

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I had a link posted here but it was just to the ancestry home page. I cant see the area where one could volunteer, since I already did.

Look for the worlds archives project. You can try to google that to see if it brings you to the area to join.

If you cant find it, private message me here with an email address. I can invite you thru their software program and there will most likely be a link in there.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

See if this works:http://www.familysearch.org/eng/indexin ... dexing.asp
I'm contemplating doing this myself but have yet to commit.
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

I joined. I started with an easy set. i did 75 N.Calif records first. Now, I am doing my first Italian set and I am stuck at the date. Even my free translator cant help. Can someone type in the year 1935 for me? I think I can follow with that info. I know numbers just not Thousand, Hundred etc.

Thanks
Looking for Calderoni