Pellegrini and Occhietti Capestrano Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Theri

Pellegrini and Occhietti Capestrano Italy

Post by Theri »

I am in search of my Ancesters. My GG Grandfathers name was Pellegrini, born in Capestrano Italy. My GG Grandmothers name was Loisa, also born in Capestrano Italy on June 12, 1863. She immigrated to the United States in August 1907 with two of her children, Nicolletta and Bernardo. I would like to find my GG Grandfathers first name and the name of his parents and siblings as well as my GG Grandmothers maiden name and her siblings and parents. It appears my GG Grandfather passed away between 1903 and 1907 when she immigrated to the states.

My Great Grandfathers name was Constantino Occhietti, born in Capestrano Italy. He married Filomen (My GG Grandfathers and Lousia's daughter) and immigrated to the united states in 1901, I am looking for any information on his side of the family as well.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Pellegrini and Occhietti Capestrano Italy

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I believe this may be Luisa's manifest. Let me know if it is the correct one.

Her name is Luisa Tafollo.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010

p2

edited to correct p2
Theri

Post by Theri »

That is indeed the correct manifest. I am a little confused as to why her name is not Pellegrinin on the manifest. I have asked around my family but no one really knows why. I thought maybe Tafollo was her maiden name or maybe she remarried, but her she was buried Pellegrini so I am pretty sure she did not re-marry.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Italian women do not lose their maiden name and only the children are surnamed after the father. =Peter=
~Peter~
Theri

Post by Theri »

That makes sense! So she was buried in the United States so they gave her the married name. Does this mean in Italy they would have buried her as a Taffollo?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

YUP! But they don't stay very long. After 20 years they normally dig up the remains and they are deposited in a comunal pit so the the cemetary never really grows much as land is scarce and thats why you always see a town with a whole bunch of Cypress tree on a hill ina square which is always the cemetary. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Sorry, I did not include page 2 of the original manifest. I am editing my original post but here is the link to p2 of the manifest. Apparently there is another son.

Theri

Post by Theri »

Thank you so much! Could Guiseppe possibly be translated in to John?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Not likely but if his first names are John Joseph (Giovanni Giuseppe ) then he could be called John for Joseph=Peter=
~Peter~
Theri

Post by Theri »

The manifest clearly shows Giuseppe, so I am going to guess he probably went by joe when he got to the states. However, I know that somewhere down the line a John Pellegrini comes in to play. I have not as of yet been able to make the connection and where he comes in to it.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

let's recap what we have:

Luisa Tafollo Pellegrini,44, immigrated in 1907 with her children Niccoletta,16, and Berardino, 5. They went to another child Giuseppe in Mountain, PA and left no one in Capistrano. There may have been another child Giovanni. Is this correct so far??
Theri

Post by Theri »

After talking with my Aunt I am pretty certain that Giuseppe is more than likely Louisa's brother in-law. When they immigrated to the US they immigrated to Iron Mountain, MI. I don't know if Giovanni was a son of Giuseppe or a brother in-law of Louisa's. I have the memorial book from Louisa's funeral it states that she had 4 children - Filomena, Nicolletta and Bernard Pellegrini all living in the united states. One more named Theresa (the obituary states that Theresa's last name was Jamfolla and that she lived in Capestrano at the time of Louisa's death). I thought maybe the obituary mis-spelled Theresa's last name being that Louisa's maiden name was Tafolla, but that really doesn't make sense either.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Possible manifest for Constantino ???

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018
Theri

Post by Theri »

This is correct. Thank you so much.
Theri

Post by Theri »

Do you know where I write to find Birth, marriage records on the Pellegrini's and Occhietti's in Capestrano, Italy?