Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
GeoffreySantoliquido

Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?

Post by GeoffreySantoliquido »

Hello,
I'm seeking some help from you today as it seems there are generous people here with expertise. My grandfather immigrated in 1901 through Ellis Island. His full name was Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido and I have found two different manifest entries a couple of weeks apart in Ellis Island.org manifest records. I'm confused by that. Also his name shows up only as Raffaele Santoliquido but that isn't inconsistent since he went by "Ralph" here in USA. He settled in Boston. Both manifests list him correctly as age 19 and being from Forenza.

One record shows him arriving November 19, 1901 on board the Citta di Torino. I think this is the most likely correct entry since it shows the ship left Napoli, which is the closer of the two ports to his home in Forenza. It also clearly shows his intent to go to Boston. Interestingly, there were several others on board from the small town of Forenza.

The other manifest shows him arriving October 28, 1901 on board the Nord America which left from Palermo. It correctly shows his occupation as a barber and there are two others on board from Forenza. And it sure looks like these other two people from Forenza (Nicola P and Pasquale M) who show on the two lines above Raff were also listed on the November 19, 1901 manifest. hmmm. However the second page of his log is not completed, along with a group of others listed around him. The first page entry appears to have his name and others crossed out but that could just be a problem with the copy I viewed online at EI.org.

The questions I seek help with are:
Can anyone venture a guess as to why there would be these two distinct manifest records on the same man (and perhaps others who were on board from Forenza)?

Can anyone clearly read across the rows and decipher the October 28, 1901 manifest record (line 0008) and tell me the occupation listed in column 6, and most importantly, name of relative to be joined in column 16?

On the second page (page 261) of the October 28, 1901 Citta di Torino manifest, it appears they didn't complete the entries for my grandfather when all the others around his were completed. Any ideas about the meaning of that?

I'd be grateful for any assistance provided. I hope I have provided enough information for others to look at the records but if not, please let me know what I need to provide. Thanks in advance for any help. I just found this web site and I think I like it!
vj
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?

Post by vj »

Hello!

This may help
Copies of your manifests from ancestry. Com

(click here) 19 Nov 1901
Line 8
Information lined off - usually means he did not sail

26 Oct 1901
Line 20
Information lined off

About line offs:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/left/

You may be looking for another manifest after Nov 1901
---
GeoffreySantoliquido wrote: Can anyone clearly read across the rows and decipher the October 28, 1901 manifest record (line 0008) and tell me the occupation listed in column 6, and most importantly, name of relative to be joined in column 16?
best guesses:
Joining: Parent (??) Lamonaco
(could this be his mother's maiden name?)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The fiorst thing that comes to mind is that he may have been part of a contract labor group from the Forenza that did not make the sailing or someof the group were not eligible to depart and so the whole group was held back uintil November sailing and when they got to the USA they were "prbably" held for some further clearance of an administrative nature and no notations were made or necessary and like VJ said they prbably will show up on a manifest of another ship as being admitted or they were admitted and there is no further record. Needless to say this is conjecture and unsubstantiated but familiar with the subject matter. =Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I hope you don’t mind, but to answer my own question about Raffaele's mother's name, I checked the database at NEHGS
(New England Historic Genealogical Society, a subscription site)

In case you haven’t seen this, it’s possibly Raffaele’s marriage record

Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841 - 1910
Marriages Registered in the City of Boston for the Year 1906
Record 5416
Sept 30

Arcangelo R Santoliquido 24
1st marriage
Residence Somerville
Born in Italy
Parents:
Emmanuele Santoliquido
Rachele Coscia

Fedele G Lombardi 22
1st marriage
Residence Somerville
Occupaton: Domestic
Born in Italy
Parents:
Michele Lombardi
Assunta Guarente

Married by
Alexandro Scapiglista Pr (priest)
14 No Bennett Street
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

his name is crossed out on the Oct sailing, indicating he didn't sail. Looks like most of those on the page did not sail.
GeoffreySantoliquido

Wow, you all are very helpful people! I am of course disappointed to learn of the significance of crossed out entries on the manifests. I cannot locate any other manifest containing my grandfather's name and there just aren't many with my last name. I guess that I've hit a dead end on Ellis Island, although the link provided by vj related to why names get crossed out gives me some hope that if I continue to search those same two manifests perhaps I will find he shows up on a different line. I suspect he rode in third class given that he arrived with only $10.

VJ, in your second entry, yes that is absolutely the marriage record of my grandparents. You provided much more detail than I recently obtained in my own on line search via Massachusetts achives. Thank you! My family had speculated that our paternal greatgrandfather's name was Emmanuele based on subsequent naming of children (my dad's oldest sister was Rachel, as was her grandmother; my dad's oldest brother was Emmanuele) and you confirmed it for us.

One point of interest there, too, is that we were told by cemetery staff that my great grandmother Santoliquido's middle name was Cascia, but the marriage record you found shows "Coscia" which is also the last name of some "cousins" of my dad while he grew up (but not believed to be related, although now I wonder!).

Question: does the marriage record document typically contain the groom and bride's mothers' maiden names or am I seeing their middle names? i.e., Coscia and Guarente

And even more impressive, we didn't have a clue as to my paternal grandmother's parents names. That is worth its weight in gold to me.
I've been having no luck finding records for Fedele Giulia Lombardi Santoliquido, my paternal grandmother, and these leads may assist. We don't know for sure which town in Italy she was from but we think it is Avellino.

In regard to my grandparents' marriage, it may interest you to know that, founded in 1873, St. Leonard Church (where they were married) is the first Roman Catholic Church in New England built by Italian immigrants, the second oldest Italian church in America.

I guess the entry on column 16 is still kind of cloudy. Raffaele wasn't coming to join his mother as she was still in Italy in 1901 and she only immigrated following the death of her husband, Emmanuele, year unknown, but sometime after 1901 and before her death in late August or early September 1921.

Any other thoughts you fine people have about this are welcomed, if I haven't worn out my welcome with all of these questions.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
You're right about the search for Raffaele's possibly missing manifest.
It's really tough to find.

I've located two other family manifests - Raffaele's brother Michele & his mother Rachele COSCIA. They both arrived in Boston.
You are correct about marriage records - they usually list mothers' maiden names.

As far as wearing out your welcome - I don't think that's possible :wink: !

If you would like us to track down US records for your family, many of us have subscriptions that can help.
We are usually reluctant to post records unless they're requested - we wouldn't want to spoil your fun if you enjoy the hunt.
Sometimes folks just want help finding their US records (especially if it involves subscription sites) so they can get on with their search in Italy.

Please, let us know how you would like us to help.
Valarie
In regard to my grandparents' marriage, it may interest you to know that, founded in 1873, St. Leonard Church (where they were married) is the first Roman Catholic Church in New England built by Italian immigrants, the second oldest Italian church in America.
Thank you - neat to know!
GeoffreySantoliquido

I'm actually getting goose bumps reading all of this! Very exciting information to me.

VJ, I'd be extremely grateful if you could post the manifests you found for my great uncle Michele and my great grandmother Rachele's arrival in Boston. I'm hoping the manifests may show the home town in Italy. Even if they don't, I'd love to see them if you can help. I didn't know the Boston port documents were even available on line. I had found a fellow named Michele Santoliquido on Ellis Island but knew it was the wrong man.

Too, if you can post the marriage license document, that'd be equally valuable to my family. No worries about spoiling my thrill of the hunt! I just can't begin to tell you all how very grateful I am for this help.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

We'll all be happy to see what we can find!

The marriage information from NEHGS is from the town record book.
I can't link the image, but I promise I transcribed exactly as it was recorded (it's typed :wink: )
If you didn't have any luck at the MA Archives, have you tried writing to the City Clerk for Boston to get the original license?

http://www.cityofboston.gov/registry/

http://www.cityofboston.gov/registry/re ... rriage.asp
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Santoliquido family

from ancestry. com
(click here) 1921 manifest page 1
page 2

SS Cretic, arrival date 28 Feb 1921
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts

Line 24
Rachele Coscia (in Italy women keep their father’s surnames)
- 74 years, estimated birth year: abt 1847
- widow
- last residence: Potenza Italy, leaves no one in Potenza
- destination Arlington MA
- joining son Raffaele Santoliquido at 196 Mars Area
- birthplace: Potenza Italy

Note: not sure what “sec 3 am lawâ€
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Santoliquido family

From footnote. com

(click here) 1923 Petition for Naturalization

Publication Number: M1368
Publication Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and
Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Court: U.S. District Court
Year: 1923
Date: 27 Feb 1923
Immigrant Full Name: Michele Arcangelo Santoliguido
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: Arcangelo Santoliquido
Witness 2 Full Name: Rocco Masi
Year Immigrated: 1903
---

added:

from ancestry. com

1903 Manifest

SS Vancouver, 7 Oct 1903, Naples to Boston
Line 19
Michele Santoliquido
- 33, born abt 1870
- single
- last residence Forenza
- destination Boston, MA
- joining brother Raffaele at 102 Prince Street
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Santoliquido family

I’m going to go ahead and post these just in case you don’t already have them.
from ancestry. com
Raffaele’s Military Registration Cards
The 1942 card lists Forenza as his place of birth

(click here) 1942 WWII Draft Registration
page 2

1918 WWI Draft Registration
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Lombardi family

From ancestry. com

possible 1902 manifest

SS Vancouver, Jun 1902, Naples to Boston
Line 28
Fedele G Lombardo
- single, female
- 18 yrs old, abt 1884
- dressmaker
- last residence Montemiletto (possibly Avellino, Campania)
- destination Somerville
- joining father Michele Lombardi at 36 Fourth Street
GeoffreySantoliquido

Holy canoli, this is great! VJ, thank you. Can you even imagine that a 60 year old man would have to register for the draft in 1942?!

I had known some of these documents were available as I ran across them via footnote.com but I am retired and don't have the funds available right now to subscribe. Some other naturalization documents of Michele's that I have run up on but not purchased are incorrectly shown as Michele Santoliguido. You have helped me tremendously.

I noticed some documents list Potenza rather than Forenza which makes sense as Potenza is the province within the Basilicata region that contains the town of Forenza, isn't that true?

I am totally thrilled to be able to see first hand the manifests that you sent, the petition for naturalization, etc. I've gone beyond having goose bumps to tears in my eyes. These documents are very meaningful to me and I'm sure my family will appreciate them as well.

PS: I just read what you found on my paternal grandmother, Fedele! Magnifico!!!! This is more information than I ever had about her. Even though her last name is misspelled in the first column, her dad's name is shown with the correct spelling and all the facts add up (Somerville is where she went to live). My family will just flip when they see all of this. I cannot thank you enough.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Oh my :D !
I'm so glad we could help.
We understand the cost of these subscriptions can be very prohibitive.
That's why we enjoy helping find these records so you can get on with your research!
The real digging begins when you've found your towns of origin and can get on with your research into US vital records and your family's Italian records.

The 1942 Registration (and the only one currently available to view) was called the "old man's registration"
This database is an indexed collection of World War II U.S. draft cards from the Fourth Registration, the only registration currently available to the public (the other registrations are not available due to privacy laws). The Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration", was conducted on 27 April 1942 and registered men who born on or between 28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897 - men who were between 45 and 64 years old - and who were not already in the military.
You are correct about Forenza:
Comune of Forenza, province of Potenza, region Basilicata
but Potenza is also a comune :wink: :
Comune of Potenza, province of Potenza, region Basilicata

More records on next page