Trabia Surnames: ARENA, DiVITTORIO, LaROSA, CANCILLA, etc.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Allysonmt

Trabia Surnames: ARENA, DiVITTORIO, LaROSA, CANCILLA, etc.

Post by Allysonmt »

We have many family members from Trabia and are trying to contact folks living there today who might be related to these lines. They are --

Santo Arena who married Angela Cancilla abt 1840

Gaetano Arena, born 1842 who married Marianna Campagna (their children were Angela Arena who md. Giuseppe DiVittorio; Santa Arena who md. Marie DiVittorio; Candida Arena who md. Michaelangelo DiVittorio; Salvatore Arena who md. Teresa Rivoglioso (a/k/a Rigoglioso); Giuseppe Arena who md. Maria Bonaccorso; Antonina Arena, born 1903 and married unknown. Most of these family members came to San Jose, CA, but some stayed behind in Trabia.

Bertolo Arena, born in Trabia 1884, married Lucia ? and had children Pietro, Calagaro, Gaetana, Mary and Santina; this family settled in Rochester, NY

Ignacio Pusateri was born 28 Aug 1896 in Trabia and married Anna Visconti in Louisiana.

Other family names from Trabia include Navarro, Spitaleri, Capobianco, Mannini, Sunseri, Amato, Bonaccorso and Borello.

Most of these family members came to the San Jose area and began work in the orchards here. Searching for family members both in the U.S. and in Italy. Please contact lizzylew1@comcast.net.

Also trying to find out how to get information in Trabia -- more current civil registration than the LDS has available, cemetery index, etc.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Re: Trabia Surnames: ARENA, DiVITTORIO, LaROSA, CANCILLA, e

Post by Marlena »

Allysonmt,

I have a Salvatore Arena 41 who married Girolama Rubino 30. They traveled to Smith Falls, Ont in 1920 with two children son Giuesppe 6 and daughter Carmela 2. I could only find this info on Ellis Island records, not ancestry.com. The record says Salvatore wa realted to Carmela Butera in Trabia. Maybe Salvatore's 2nd marriage as he is 41, just a guess.

Before that Girolama (Mamie) traveled to the usa in 1908 and visited my g.grandmother in 1908 in San Jose and San Francisco, at some point she may have met Salvatore Arena here becasue they were the ones who took my grandfather to the hospital in San Jose. They possibly went back to Trabia after that because I have no other info for them here , just the Cancda manifest.

Hope this of some help. My families were all very close to the Sunseri Campagna families. My grandparents, Rinella, traveled with Maria Campagna to San Francisco in 1901. I will check out some ohter manifests for those names you mentioned.

Marlene
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
Bubblywine

Post by Bubblywine »

Howdy-
I'm a Michaelango Divitorrio/Candida Arena descendant, through their oldest daughter Josephine and would be interested in hearing from other San Jose/Trabia connections and cousins.

If you look at the Ellis Island records for Michaelangelo DiVittorio in 1909, he seems to indicate that he had been in the US before, between 1900 and 1904. Does anyone know anything about that possible first stay? In 1909 he is headed to SF, where Santo Arena and Maria DiVittorio have already settled. If you find Santo Arena's arrival records in 1906, he says he is headed to SF to meet with his Brother In Law Salvatore Narello (the surname is illegible, that is my best guess..could it be Borello?).

Has anyone attempted to draw a family tree that shows all the interrelationsips with all those familar names that I can't figure the relationships? (Sunseri, Campagne, etc).
pH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You ,might ant to try Google.com and put in title the surname folllowed by genealofgy and the pertinent town and Italy that relates to your research objectives. Thus anyone having completed or is currently researching the surname(s) you mention maybe listed. =Peter=
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

I just found that a g-g-g grandmother was Giuseppa Spitaleri married to Salvatore Rinella. Children that I know of were Giuseppe Rinella 1841 married to Maria Sunseri 1843.
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
sammy182

Post by sammy182 »

Hi there.

My name is Salvatore Di Vittorio. I was born and raised in Valleyfield Quebec Canada. My father is Ignazio Di Vittorio. He was born and raised in Trabia Sicily. He was born in 1932. My grandfathers name is Salvatore Di Vittorio. My grandfather was probably born around 1895 in Trabia because my dad had a couple of older brothers and an older sister. I would have to ask my dad about my grandmothers maiden name.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Sammy182~
There must be some connection or maybe you knew the Arena's from Valleyfield? They owned Arena Produce. Mom and Dad from Trabia were Mamie (Girolama Rubino) and Salvatore. Their children were Giuseppe and Carmela. Carmela married Lionel Swift and had three daughters. Giuseppe married Madeline Berthiaume, the had a boy and girl. Giuseppe moved the family and business to Santa Barbara,Ca. Carmela's daughters remain in Canada but not Valleyfield.

Salvatore had family in San Francisco but the family does not remember their names...
Marlene
sammy182

Post by sammy182 »

Hi Marlene

When I was a kid living in Valleyfield , there was Areno's Florist and Fruit store , right next to the A&P which at the time was a grocery store. The owner was Joe Areno Sr. He was married to and I can't recall exactly her name but , I used to call her Tia Marina. They had a son who was Joe Areno Jr. He was my godfather. His wife and my godmother's name was Augustina. My aunt Salvatrice DiVittorio was a live in maid for Joe Areno Sr. I have a Bible History book that was given to me when I was about 7 years old by Tia Marina. At the beginning of the book in handwriting it say's " To Aunt Mary from Mary Rubino , wishing you a Happy Birthday " This Bible History book was printed in 1924.
DavideCangiamilaFilippone

Post by DavideCangiamilaFilippone »

Hi,

i'm Davide Cangiamila Filippone from Trabia.

I'm a researcher of trabia's emigrates, i will arrive in San Jose in 4 april 2009, i'm guest of Giuseppe Chiaramonte and Enza Sacci(San Jose) and Paolo Cancilla (Sacramento).

I'm the president of Asslociation "Trabia Planet", i write genealogy tree, write emigration's history and copy the old photos of trabiesi.

from 5 april to 10 april i will meet the emigrates. if you want we can meet.

Davide Cangiamila
www.trabiaplanet.it
davidec84@trabiaplanet.it
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Sammy ,
Check your pm.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Re: Trabia Surnames: ARENA, DiVITTORIO, LaROSA, CANCILLA, etc.

Post by Marlena »

I have information on the DiVittorio , Bondi and Marina Rubino (Joe) Arena in Valley Field, Canada. They are a part of my family tree, both related. I also have a separate DiVittorio tree from a Ciro DiVittorio in California. Both connect to my family..I''ve been busy working on this tree.
Pleas let me know if you'd like the info.

Santo Arena and Maria Di Vittorio

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246641901

Marlene Rinella Caredio