Basic Regions and provinces

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
apesce65
Rookie
Rookie

Basic Regions and provinces

Post by apesce65 »

I understand that:
1.) Italy is divided into 20 Regions
2.)Each region into Provinces, 103 total.

Would I be correct if i said Solerno is the Province.
is Sianno the city or the region?

Once I find out the city do they have records online or does Ancestry.com link to those already?

Sono felice io ho trovato questa vista di fotoricettore! Tutto è stato così utile.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Basic Regions and provinces

Post by BillieDeKid »

These two links should help you. The first one shows you the regions (color coded) and the name of each region associated to the number
http://www.italiantourism.com/regions.html

This link will give you the regions and the associated provinces. Once you select a province the names of the towns will come up
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/

I hope this helps.

elizabeth
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

An additonal website will give you the ability to seek out each individual comune (town) within a province that is part of a specific region by viewing the region and clicking the provincial capital found beneath the region name. www.nonsolocap.it is the website.

When you click the province name each comune (town) in that province will be listed with map. Each comune contains civil records of that comune available on line. Some records are limited or non existent due to the ravages of war, pillage and flood but most have survived and available to the turn of the century and no further due to privacy legislation.

I hope this combined information will present a complete mosaic your needs. I do not subscribe to Ancestry.com. =Peter=
~Peter~
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

Many Italian records can be ordered from a family history library, using the www.familysearch.org site. Go to Library and find a location near you. You can search their site and see if the records have been microfilmed.

I have found the family search site very usefull in both record availability and word lists of Italian to English and Latin to English for people wishing to learn Italian research.
Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO