Etiquette for Writing to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
abruscino

Etiquette for Writing to Italy

Post by abruscino »

Hello to all,

I wrote to a comune earlier this month for the birth extract of my great-grandfather. I received the paper today and would like to make another request, along with compensating them for their time. What exactly is the proper etiquette for doing this? I've read so much on this issue that I have no idea what would be appropriate, and I certainly don't want to appear rude. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Etiquette for Writing to Italy

Post by tonij16102 »

Hi Tony,

I just requested some Family Records from Caserta, Italy and what I did along with my request I asked in advance how much they were going to charge me when they e-mailed me back with the records that they found they gave me the price of what I would owe. In Caserta where my family is from the wanted € 8,00 for the birth and marriage document that I am wanting. hope this helps.

Toni
abruscino

Post by abruscino »

Hi Toni,

In my first letter I had asked to be charged the cost of the document, postage, etc., but no cost was indicated with their reply. I'd like to make another request, but I feel some kind of compensation would be appropriate. I just don't know what to do, but thanks for your input.

Tony
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

Hi again Tony,

I was lucky enough to somehow find the office that I needed online and was able to ask for what I was needing and she wrote back and told the cost which including mailing it back to me. I found out from my bank yesterday that in American Money it equals to $10..00 and that was for both documents plus mailing...so maybe you could use this as a guideline for what your going to receive.

Toni
abruscino

Post by abruscino »

Thanks Toni! It's definitely a starting point.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

'In general' if you are only seeking a simple birth or death certificate there is no charge, but to enclose some stamps for postage is often appreciated. Sending cash through the post, even €uro's isn't really a good idea and is actually against the law. Most Comunes do not like, or understand International Money Orders and often refuse them.

All this does cause problems for people. I often provide Italian postage stamps for people at cost price, plus postage at the current exchange rates. Priority Postage for a 20g letter is €0.85c.

However, if you are seeking Long versions, Processetti and extracts from archive registers, then these are time consuming and can be expensive when compared with the simple certificates. They will even charge you for each name on a long version. If they quote you a set price for what you have asked for, then ask them how they want you to pay. They 'may' accept a credit card or direct debit card payment - I've not heard of any Comunes (yet) who accept PayPal). Failing that you could ask someone living in Italy, who does have a PayPal account, if they would forward a cheque to the Comune for you and just pay them.

Not very helpful I'm afraid, but hope it clarifies the general situation for you.
elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
abruscino

Post by abruscino »

Hi Elba,

Thanks for the suggestion, but how do you go about purchasing postage to send? They spent €1.40 to send two pieces of paper. Is it possible to send that amount on a stamp? Any additional input would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tony
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

abruscino wrote:Hi Elba,

Thanks for the suggestion, but how do you go about purchasing postage to send? They spent €1.40 to send two pieces of paper. Is it possible to send that amount on a stamp? Any additional input would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tony
When people ask me to get stamps for them I usually advise them to send TWO €0.85c stamps with their request. No point in sending an adressed envelope you don't know what size documents the Comune will produce. But two 'Priority' stamps allow for 40g (1.42oz) and are usually sufficient.

If you are asking for the 'expensive' documents, then the price they quote will include their postal costs.

Anyone who want's stamps just needs to PM me for more details. I do not do it for profit, just to help out where I can
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

Hi Elba,
I find that amazing the office in Caserta I wrote to asked for this:

Per poter ricevere i documenti dovrà inviare un vaglia postale trasferibile intestato al Direttore dell'Archivio di Stato, Via dei Bersaglieri, 9 81100 Caserta di € 8,00. Appena ci arriverà, Le invieremo i documenti desiderati.

Did I understand her right to send € 8,00 in a Money Order?

Thank-you,
Toni
idmaclean
Rookie
Rookie

Post by idmaclean »

I have been putting 10 euro in with my letters and have been getting timely and informative responses.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

tonij16102 wrote:Hi Elba,

Per poter ricevere i documenti dovrà inviare un vaglia postale trasferibile intestato al Direttore dell'Archivio di Stato, Via dei Bersaglieri, 9 81100 Caserta di € 8,00. Appena ci arriverà, Le invieremo i documenti desiderati.

Thank-you,
Toni
What was said is this:
To receive the documents you must send a transferable
postal/money order for €8 made out to the Director of the State Archive, Via dei Bersaglieri 9 , 81100 Caserta. As soon as it arrives we will send you the documents you want.

This is quite a large Comune and they are, it seems, geared up to dealing with postal/money orders. If only they all were... it would be one less headache for genealogists and distant relatives.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

idmaclean wrote:I have been putting 10 euro in with my letters and have been getting timely and informative responses.
That's great - if it works for you and you can easily obtain €uro's that's fine.
What's that old saying? "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!" Well I agree with that, but there might come a time when your envelope might be the one to be checked by a postal 'jobsworth' and you might lose your money. But until then - go for it!
abruscino

Post by abruscino »

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Thanks,

Tony
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

elba wrote:
tonij16102 wrote:Hi Elba,

Thank-you,
Toni
What was said is this:
To receive the documents you must send a transferable
postal/money order for €8 made out to the Director of the State Archive, Via dei Bersaglieri 9 , 81100 Caserta. As soon as it arrives we will send you the documents you want.

This is quite a large Comune and they are, it seems, geared up to dealing with postal/money orders. If only they all were... it would be one less headache for genealogists and distant relatives.
The office that is requesting the money is the State Archive in Caserta, not the Comune.

State Archives report to the Ministero dei Beni Culturali.
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

Ciao Livio,
Yes I knew this I have never got a response from the Comune of Camigliano which I found to be very sad...it almost makes you feel as if they don't want you have this information.

Thanks again,

Toni