Earthquake

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: 26 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Virginia Beach, VA , USA

Re: Earthquake

Post by ItalianLori »

http://www.niaf.org/

The above - National Itaian American Foundation is collectiing contributions to assist.

Lori
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Earthquake

Post by pink67 »

:( another earthquake in the same areas at 19.42..... 5.3. magnitude... I't's terrible.
User avatar
Romano1970
Master
Master
Posts: 502
Joined: 30 Apr 2008, 00:54
Location: Colorado

Re: Earthquake

Post by Romano1970 »

This is from the Drudge Report about the after shocks. A little lengthy but it is pretty detailed.

L'AQUILA, Italy (AP) - A strong tremor shook quake-hit areas of central Italy on Tuesday and sent rescuers and residents fleeing from damaged buildings in the ravaged medieval city of L'Aquila.
Chunks of concrete dropped from already crumbling buildings and the shock was felt as far away as Rome, 70 miles (110 kilometers) to the southwest. The ANSA news agency said at least one person was killed near L'Aquila.

Rescuers were still searching through the rubble for survivors and bodies when the earth shook again Tuesday.

The official toll from the quake stood at 207 dead, 15 missing and some 1,000 injured. However, ANSA reported it had tallied 228 dead at a hangar being used as a morgue.

ANSA said the aftershock caused further damage to the Chiesa delle Anime Sante, one of the many historic buildings in this city that partially collapsed in the quake.

While the U.S. Geological Survey said Tuesday's aftershock measured 5.6, Italian seismologists using the Richter scale put it at 5.3. The epicenter was near L'Aquila.

The strong temblor struck at 7:47 p.m., terrifying a young couple who were walking in central L'Aquila to their car after bringing food and clothing to friends and relatives in one of the city's tent camps.

"I want to go home, I want to go home," screamed a woman, whose boyfriend identified her only as Patrizia after chunks of facade rained down on them from a building that had been badly cracked in the larger quake.

Her hands trembled as rescue workers gave her a cup of water. The young woman said she was too shaken to talk.

Her boyfriend, Agostino Paride, 33, an engineer, said they had driven to L'Aquila from the town of Civitella Rovedo, some 70 kilometers (45 miles) away.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
User avatar
jkmorg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 02:12

Re: Earthquake

Post by jkmorg »

Does anyone know if Popoli was effected by the quake?
User avatar
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Feb 2007, 00:00
Location: Sharpsville,Pa

Re: Earthquake

Post by Conti832 »

I just received an email from Pofi which is South of Rome.Damage even there.
User avatar
irenejellybean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 14:06

Re: Earthquake

Post by irenejellybean »

pink67 wrote::( another earthquake in the same areas at 19.42..... 5.3. magnitude... I't's terrible.
Hello everyone-- my thoughts and prayers for your safety are with you all.
I am writing from Chapel Hill NC USA, and I am worried about my relatives living in Terni.
Can anyone tell me if there was much damage there as well?
I would greatly appreciate any information you can pass along to me.
Thanks and God bless.
donna
User avatar
nazca
Elite
Elite
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:59
Location: Palermo, Italy
Contact:

Re: Earthquake

Post by nazca »

"Madonna made a donation to grandparents hometown"


(April 8) - After hearing about the 6.3 magnitude earthquake that struck Italy, Madonna made a "substantial donation" for the relief effort, her publicist said. Madonna responded so quickly because her paternal grandparents lived in Pacentro until 1919.
"I am happy to lend a helping hand to the town that my ancestors are from," Madonna told PEOPLE. "My heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones or their homes," Madonna added.
While Madonna's rep wouldn't give the donation amount, a source says it's about $500,000.

Thanks Madonna Ciccone
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Earthquake

Post by Lucap »

irenejellybean wrote:I am writing from Chapel Hill NC USA, and I am worried about my relatives living in Terni.
I live in Terni and there are no problems of any sort in our town, only a bit of fear for the two greatest earth tremors... but nothing else.
If you want, send me (with a pm) your relative's names... maybe i could know them!
Luca
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Earthquake

Post by pink67 »

The official site of the italian "protezione Civile" published the list of the persons who died due to the earthquake (287 victims):

http://www.protezionecivile.it/cms/atta ... ittime.pdf

Laura
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Earthquake

Post by wldspirit »

287 victims
:cry:

I've been so busy I haven't had time to even see the news....I wasn't aware the death toll had climbed so high.....terrible. My heart goes out to all the families who lost their loved ones.

Lee
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Post Reply